PDA

View Full Version : New Virus Snarls Thousands of Computers

JIMINATOR
05-03-2004, 05:00 PM
the usual, update your definitions, get the patches, turn on your firewall, etc.

Associated Press
May 3, 2004 10:44 AM EDT

NEW YORK - An Internet worm that takes advantage of a known flaw with the Windows operating system raced around the world Monday, snarling tens of thousands of computers and causing Internet traffic to slow.

Though Microsoft Corp. had announced the flaw with the so-called Local Security Authority Subsystem Service last month, many computer owners had yet to apply the fix that the company had released.

Unlike most outbreaks, the Sasser worm does not require users to activate it by clicking on an e-mail attachment.

Sasser is known as a network worm because it can automatically scan the Internet for computers with the security flaw and send a copy of itself there.

Security experts said the Sasser worm was spreading rapidly, particularly as businesses reopened Monday but it still was not as widespread as last summer's Blaster outbreak.

They said network operators have gotten more diligent about properly applying the necessary security fixes, and because the worm was first discovered late Friday, many were able to do so over the weekend before employees arrived.

Finland's third largest bank, Sampo, closed 120 of its offices for a few hours on Monday to update antivirus programs. E-banking services and the bank's automated teller machines worked normally.

"We weren't hit by the worm, but we wanted make sure that we wouldn't be affected by it so we closed the branch offices," Sampo spokesman Hannu Vuola said. "The people who suffered the most were those who had actually come to our banks to do business over the counter."

UncleSam
05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Oh great another..

Thanks for the Info!

PJ'l_Master
05-03-2004, 05:13 PM
you da man jim...you da man

EXEcution
05-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Would that explain why certain sites are not loading on my comp?

JIMINATOR
05-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by .:EXEcution:.@May 3 2004, 12:26 PM
nah, i think your parents have installed a ghey pron filter.... :oooo:

<<Hybrid>>
05-03-2004, 06:33 PM
damn,,, seems like this will be big global problem period
hope it will not reach me... JIM, do you know any link to some MS patch or any other fix?

JIMINATOR
05-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by <<Hybrid>>@May 3 2004, 01:33 PM
damn,,, seems like this will be big global problem period
hope it will not reach me... JIM, do you know any link to some MS patch or any other fix?
go to windowsupdate.com. If you have a router firewall that is turned on, it
should not be an issue. the xp firewalls are vulnerable, however unless they
are patched.

NightBreed
05-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR+May 3 2004, 02:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JIMINATOR @ May 3 2004, 02:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-.:EXEcution:.@May 3 2004, 12:26 PM
nah, i think your parents have installed a ghey pron filter.... :oooo: [/b][/quote]
:lol:

Sacrifice
05-03-2004, 09:44 PM
i got my firewall on so i should be safe :D

Insomnia
05-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Sacrifice@May 3 2004, 04:44 PM
i got my firewall on so i should be safe :D
yup same here&#33; :lol:

Dangerous Dan
05-03-2004, 10:56 PM
i got that virus last friday, i reformated and got it again, i blame Norton Internet Secruity, such a load of crap, this week i&#39;ll be consolidating myself and getting all the critical updates etc... on disc, that way i&#39;ll install everything and be completely safe (updates inclused) before i connect to the internet :)

untill then i&#39;m stuck with my mom&#39;s computer, so it&#39;ll be a computer game free week for now :lol:

oh, btw, RaVen got it as well :wacko:

Speedsweeper
05-03-2004, 11:17 PM
I am getting loads of updates for XP recently. Must be a lot of sh&#33;t out there.

Black Rose
05-03-2004, 11:58 PM
:bandhead: I got sasser worm A on friday, could eliminate it but on sunday the sasser worm B infected my system again. :bandhead:

Took me a while to get rid of that B-Worm, because 86 files were infected :wacko:

Dan2
05-04-2004, 04:48 AM
The Windows Update (critical) for this puppy was released April 13. :oooo:

Black Rose
05-04-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Dan2@May 4 2004, 05:48 AM
The Windows Update (critical) for this puppy was released April 13. :oooo:
not in DAOC :angel:

I was lazy, I know :(

but now all is fine :)