PDA

View Full Version : Firewall you use or would recommend?

T I K
05-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Hey who do you think makes the best firewall and who or what would you recommend?

Want something that is reasonably easy to configure and not plagued with probs running as server or alerts or slowing game play if playing online.

I had been using Zonelabs then McAfee internet Security Suite 5.0. Then with my new rig got McAfee internet Security Suite 6.0......wat a piece of cr*p.. :bandhead:

Would like to get something with anti-virus included but open to other options.

Thx all :thumbs:

TIK

Grimmy
05-04-2004, 05:23 AM
You can get like a d link router for around $40, built in firewall that doesn't use any system resourses. Just have to open some ports when you run a server. If you want to get a little more fancy, I'd get a linksys router. I have a d link 604 that I am sure I could sell ya pretty cheap, since I don't use it anymore. PM me about that if you wish.

As for virus, never go wrong with norton. :)

T I K
05-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Tx Grimmy

Ive have a cable Netgear router with NAT but no VPN, but was thinking of going with wireless anyway.....got some Sweet wireless prods coming out that I have been interested in.

Ty I will pick up Norton :thumbs:

Grimmy
05-06-2004, 05:18 PM
This is the wireless that I have. Tons of reviews out there on it, and the price isn't that bad. I paid around $100 last x mas for it, but think it has come a few bucks since then.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.as...cid=35&prid=601 (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601)

As for Norton, IMO get Norton System Works. I can't remember the number of times I have scaned my HD for problems and Norton fixed them all. I have used this on many other puters that peeps want me to come look at and pretty much fix some probs they are having with it. NAV (Norton AntiVirus come with it too, one year subscription. :thumbs:

SALvation
05-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Hardware firewall > Software firewall.