PDA

View Full Version : HD WOES

PJ'l_Master
05-04-2004, 03:33 PM
i was playin chaser and my computer froze...so i thought no big deal ill just restart it...but when i did it said that it could not load some .exe file in the System32 folder...so thats a recovery console thing...BUT...on the next attempt at a restart it said disk boot error...so i just left it alone for a while. The next day i turned it on and it worked fine...but it seems to only work for a limited time before locking up...as if the HD is overheating. Then this morning i was backin stuff up and i heard this faint beeping sound that was coming from somewhere inside my computer and then it locked up again, and when i turned it off i could easily hear the HD disks slowing down like they were rubbing or something...but i have never heard that sound before...

any thoughts

sounds like a reason to get an 8mb cache HD to me :oooo:

EXEcution
05-04-2004, 03:50 PM
whats the HD temp?
High?
How much space do u have left on it?
Try defragmenting.

PJ'l_Master
05-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by .:EXEcution:.@May 4 2004, 11:50 AM
whats the HD temp?
High?
How much space do u have left on it?
Try defragmenting.
i have no idea what the temp is...but it does have a hd cooler on it...not that that would do anything...

i should check the space...i have to be close to full

and it doesnt work long enough to do a defrag...sys restore didnt work either...but i didnt think that it would

Caged Anger
05-04-2004, 04:12 PM
dude, if this just started, I'd say you got one of the 2 new worms goin round. One is supposed to kill windows from working, i don know what the other does.

PJ'l_Master
05-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Caged Anger@May 4 2004, 12:12 PM
dude, if this just started, I'd say you got one of the 2 new worms goin round. One is supposed to kill windows from working, i don know what the other does.
i only go to three main sites online and i wasnt online for most of that weekend

also i didnt open any attachments

BobtheCkroach
05-04-2004, 05:02 PM
You could cop out and say that I gave it to you @ Barn Wars. Of course, my machine doesn't suffer from the symptoms (sp?), but you could still claim it.

PJ'l_Master
05-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by BobtheCkroach@May 4 2004, 01:02 PM
You could cop out and say that I gave it to you @ Barn Wars. Of course, my machine doesn't suffer from the symptoms (sp?), but you could still claim it.
its your fault

and the picture on my monitor DOES shake all the time now... :hmmm: