PDA

View Full Version : nforce2 owners

ME BIGGD01
01-20-2003, 03:37 AM
hi all, i was doing some reading and research on the board and have wondered if those who have this board are getting the performance they should from such great technology. please let me know what settings you are running and the benchmarks you get with the video card you have. please take note on some of my suggestions if you want to and test them against your settings.

1-if you have two sticks off ddr place 1 stick in the 1st or second slot and 1 stick in the third slot all the way to the right. thats the reason they put the last slot away from the other 2. what this does is enable the dual channel ddr and you should see it say ddr enhanced setting during boot.

2-run the system in sync mode

3-set the timings to aggressive in bios.

4-do not overclock
5- disable the serial ata on the motherboard with jumpers right under the cmos battery. unless you are using them with converter no need to have them using irq.
5-disable com ports

there has been word that the south bridge gets very hot on some nforce boards---please ck this out and post for me. i do not have this problem but some do. the south bridge is the chip with out the heatsink. also before you touch anything, atleast touch the powersupply to ground yourself. it's very cold out over here which raises the static level.

thanks all, and hope this helps some of you who own this great board.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
01-20-2003, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

ME BIGGD01
01-20-2003, 07:36 AM
let me know how it works for you. make sure it shows enhanced ddr enabled during boot. if it does not then you are not running dual channel. may take a cold boot.

look at your memory bandwidth scores.

Dissectional
01-20-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Jan 20 2003, 02:36 AM
let me know how it works for you.  make sure it shows enhanced ddr enabled during boot.  if it does not then you are not running dual channel.  may take a cold boot.  

look at your memory bandwidth scores.
Well I'll be...Mine doesn't. I have DDR in slots 1&3, and I don't get that POST message...drat.
I am running it Aggresive though. Right now before I have done any of your suggestions, with a GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB, 512 MB of PC2700, and an XP2400 I am getting just under 9000, (I am at work, and I can't remember the exact score..)

Death-Dude
01-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Do those have to be matched pairs to work in that mode?

Dissectional
01-20-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Death-Dude@Jan 20 2003, 02:58 PM
Do those have to be matched pairs to work in that mode?
When I first saw the board, that is what it had said. I am running 2x256. I am going to check when I get home to make sure that I am NOT getting that message. That board has a splash screen that comes up and you miss some post info. I just have to pay a little more attention on the next boot.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
01-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Ok Big I am running only 1 stick of 512 pc2700 ram in slot #1.
Where do I test the memory.
how do I run it in sync mode.
What will aggressive do for me if I set it to that?

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
01-20-2003, 10:59 PM
IOk I set the bios to aggressive and ran 3d benchmark.
My score boosted about 200 points.

Dissectional
01-21-2003, 12:17 AM
:lol: That's funny..I got EXACTLY a 200 point boost. 8461 was my newest score. I also disabled that damn splash screen...w00t! I had thought it was closer to 9000 the last time, but I was wrong.

CPU=XP2400
RAM=2x256 PC2700 Corsair XMS
HD =Maxtor 80GB ATA133
VID=GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
01-21-2003, 12:27 AM
How did you get rid of the splash screen?

Dissectional
01-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by WHOCARES@Jan 20 2003, 07:27 PM
How did you get rid of the splash screen?
Crap...When you get into the bios, it is in one of the first two menus...I think it is in advanced...give me a minute and I will update this post after I look.

Okay, it is in 'Advanced BIOS Features', and you can enable or disable the screen. When you go there it should be the last option on screen before you scroll down.

ME BIGGD01
01-21-2003, 12:52 AM
you must be using two of the same size memory modules

you must set memory to sync

to shut splash screen off ---in the bios is says dispay logo--disable that.

the system will run better with async set not 266/333

also disable the devices you are not using onboard such as 1 of the network cards, firewire, definately both com ports, and ata serial which the drives are not out and useless if you do not have them.
also disable midi port on the sound unless you use which most don't.

this will speed you up---not share irq's----and make your system 100% stable.