PDA

View Full Version : Help!

BobtheCkroach
05-12-2004, 12:47 AM
My machine keeps rebooting for no apparent reason. Do any of these few new viruses (Sasser, etc) cause this, and if so, where can I go for help?! I'm not getting an alert for any viruses w/ my virus program...

TheMaster
05-12-2004, 10:57 AM
The new Sasser worm does cause your system to shut down and reboot. If you operate with Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP, you are vulnerable to the worm. Bob, it is possible your computer got hit with Sasser. My advice is to update your antivirus software if you haven't done so already.

TheMaster

SALvation
05-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Go to www.symantec.com and download the removal tool for Sasser. After that go to windows update and download all critical updates. It sounds like you got hit with Sasser.

BobtheCkroach
05-12-2004, 03:20 PM
The antivirus is completely up to date - I will download taht stuff and see what happens...Thanks Guys!!!

PJ'l_Master
05-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by BobtheCkroach@May 12 2004, 11:20 AM
The antivirus is completely up to date - I will download taht stuff and see what happens...Thanks Guys!!!
ha ha...its bad karma for limiting the life of my monitor :ha: :P

BobtheCkroach
05-12-2004, 03:41 PM
I went through Symantec's descriptions of every Sasser version...according to those, there should always be a process running that you can see...I looked for the process for every version and didn't find it...so I'm thinking it might not be Sasser...

So here's another question, out of left field. My clock also turns up wrong randomly...could my BIOS battery be dead, or my BIOS screwed in general?

The one thing I do know is that it's not overheating...I have 5 fans running. I know this just became a hardware question...sorry!

And you just shut up PJ.

PJ'l_Master
05-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BobtheCkroach@May 12 2004, 11:41 AM
I went through Symantec's descriptions of every Sasser version...according to those, there should always be a process running that you can see...I looked for the process for every version and didn't find it...so I'm thinking it might not be Sasser...

So here's another question, out of left field. My clock also turns up wrong randomly...could my BIOS battery be dead, or my BIOS screwed in general?

The one thing I do know is that it's not overheating...I have 5 fans running. I know this just became a hardware question...sorry!

And you just shut up PJ.
:oooo:

just replace the friggen battery and see...they cant be that expensive

BobtheCkroach
05-12-2004, 03:49 PM
I plan on it. And of course, my machine hasn't done it in like 12 hours now...

TheMaster
05-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Well if anything odd happens again you should get a battery replacement. Fortunately it wasn't Sasser.