PDA

View Full Version : Windows went screwy

BobtheCkroach
05-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey, last night my machine started doing the reboot again, as discussed a few days ago....So I turned it off for the night. This morning, i couldn't get past the boot screen, until I ran the BIOS. I did nothing, but now windows will boot. However, half the time it reboots w/o reaching the login screen, half the time it throws an error and reboots (i can't tell you the error, it reboots before I can read it), and half the time I can log in, then it reboots. I've had a "Checking Disk Consistency" Test run twice, whose nature I don't know. And - get this - I'm running XP Pro, and I've gotten the Blue Screen Of Death - not once, but TWICE - today. It throws this message:

Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBf84B086, 0xBA92F770, 0x00000000)
Win32k.sys - Address BF84B086 at BF800000, TimeStamp 3f73195d.

I've also had it say that 3 different .sys files are corrupt on bootup.

Anybody? Anybody? Blueller?

FUS1ON
05-17-2004, 05:15 PM
I just reread your previous thread about the rebooting problem, First off I would replace the mobo's battery with a new one. If you are loosing settings or the date/time in the bios thats almost always the reason.

I did my usual google search using Stop: 0x0000008E LINK (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Stop%3A+0x0000008E&btnG=Search) and got plenty of returns. Then tried MS's site. LINK (http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Queryc=Stop%3A+0x0000008E+Win32k.sys&Query=Stop%3A+0x0000008E+Win32k.sys&srch=sup&catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=winxp&KeywordType=ALL&Titles=false&numDays=&MaxResults=25&srchstep=1&InCC_hdn=true&querySource=gASr_Query)

I'm kinda leaning towards it being a hardware problem, either memory or power supply since it happens on bootup and hasn't had time to heat up so you can maybe rule out a heat related problem. Is anything like what is happening to you? LINK (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330181&Product=winxp)

I would prob'ly try switching out memory different stick/s like they suggested, then go to the PSU.

BobtheCkroach
05-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN@May 17 2004, 05:15 PM

I'm kinda leaning towards it being a hardware problem, either memory or power supply since it happens on bootup and hasn't had time to heat up so you can maybe rule out a heat related problem. Is anything like what is happening to you? LINK (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330181&Product=winxp)
YES! Shogun, you're awesome! I AM getting the error

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys"...except that i'm getting it for more than just pci.sys...that's the most frequent one, but one or two others have done it on bootup, too. I guess it's time to play with Hardware!

BobtheCkroach
05-17-2004, 06:19 PM
I took out all of my PCI stuff and rebooted...it did it again. So I took out one of my RAM sticks...and the rebooting has stopped. Yeah! I hope this lasts. On the other hand, now I gotta buy more RAM that I don't have the cash for :bawling: :bandhead:

<<Hybrid>>
05-18-2004, 08:48 PM
i dont htink its RAM fault hmm
if you still can launch your windows, try registry backup.
if your screen becomes blue with those errors on boot, that means you have system halted due to invvalid harddrive drivers installed (repair will not help, only formating or erasing windows/mydocuments/program files folders, then FULL reinstall)
i think thats easiest way to get your PC up again. Faster than messing with errors what will come again again and again

BobtheCkroach
05-19-2004, 02:47 AM
It was RAM&#39;s fault. I took out every PCI device and rebooted...it crashed right away. I took out the RAM that came w/ the comp, and it hasn&#39;t given me a single problem since (STUPID gateway, give me crap RAM - oh well, it made it two years.) So now I just gotta buy a new stick of RAM.

ME BIGGD01
05-24-2004, 04:35 AM
9 out of ten times that is a memory problem. also heat causes this.