PDA

View Full Version : PSP Impressions!

EXEcution
05-19-2004, 07:32 PM
http://www.cfclan.org/images/Face.jpg
There it is!
Since there was a Nintendo DS thread i figured why not start a PSP one.
In my opinion this is a great competitor for the DS, both have many similarities and differences.

First off it will not come out until next year here in the US (prolly 1st quarter 2005) and Japan will get an early release. This will give Nintendo the advantage, because there are people that will not want to purchase both consoles.

Some of the PSP features that i researched are quite impressive.
It's relatively the same size as the GBA, with a 16:9 aspect ratio screen (480 x 272 pixels 16.77 million colors). This gives a very clear picture, and with a 333MHz proc as well as 32MB's Main RAM this thing can pump out some decent visuals, some of the shots i've seen look practically identical to the PS2 games. :w00t:

The connectors include USB 2.0 (probably to hook up to ur PC and download songs maybe download some free software too) the other connection is a 802.11b wireless LAN option, allowing for multiplay, and it can also be linked up to the network for "overseas" play (definitely a cool and new feature also available for the DS)
The games and movies that will be released for the PSP are put on 60mm UMD's (Universal Media Disc), there small DVDs can store up to 1.8 Gigs of data (.8 gigs more if compared to the DS cartriges i believe) memory sticks will also be available.
http://www.cfclan.org/images/Back.jpg
This thing will be sold for somewhere around the 200+$ range, if you ask me its worth it. :wootrock:
Any thoughts?

SALvation
05-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Already planning on buying one. Pics of the games look great.

Herbus Maximus
05-19-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm sure it will be on a Christmas list along the ways.
If not mine, then one of my boys. :oooo:
...I'm sure I'll be picking one up either way. :thumbs:

I think it will compete nicely with Nintendo's unit.
Personally, I've never been all that impressed the the GB. Game Gear from Sega kicked it's @ss. The current SP isn't bad..for what it is , I suppose...I always expected more for as advanced the chips have become. :WTF:
The hand held consol monopoly has been in N's stiff hands far too long. With the big N driving the bus, they've dictated what meager upgrade to the GB they could push off with. But not anymore... :P
The competition will kick em' both in the short hairs to push out quality graphics and even better units.
Sony knows there is a huge market for portables. They want some of that big ol' juicy pie too!
I'm a thinkin' this is going to be the beginning of something good! :jammin:

EXEcution
05-21-2004, 03:02 AM
I think that the PSP will dominate the handheld market for a while after its release, much like its past consoles that were released prior to Nintendo consoles. Like the original PS was still more popular than the N64, and now the PS2 has much better sales overall.
The DS might pack a punch and the innovative features it offers will attract many buyers (young and old), but the PSP is sora a step ahead, and im sure that the UMD will be much easier to work with in terms of releasing games, and movies than the DS cartriges.

Dangerous Dan
05-21-2004, 05:25 AM
THe DS will own the PSP, nuff said...

of course this is coming from a die hard nintendo fanboy ;)

Burn the Witch
05-21-2004, 06:10 PM
the DS will own the PSP because Nintendo dominate the Handheld market. Personally, the PSP seems far better to me, but how many copies did the GBA sell in the first week? 15 Million?

He Is Legend
05-23-2004, 10:49 PM
LMFAO

Yall really think that ds will dominate psp?..pfft.

Yall are really crazy, only reason people baught the handheld gameboy stuff was cause there was not really good systems out there

psp will sell WAY more copies than ds cause sony makes everything perfect...everyone loves ps2 over gamecube anyday

psp with ps2 graphics?..you cant even say ds is better with there corny block graphics, i think psp will dominate all handhelds.

but thats just my opinion..;)

EXEcution
05-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Well there is the N-Gage, but thats not selling very well, however it is far more superior to the GBA.
I think Nokia will get knocked out of the handheld market with the release of the DS and PSP.
I also have to agree with Chaotic, the PSP graphics are amazing, but thats not to say that the DS doesn't have alot to offer.

Rivers
05-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Chaotic@May 23 2004, 10:49 PM
sony makes everything perfect...
Now that's funny.....*cough* disk read error *cough* :angel:

Herbus Maximus
05-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Rivers+May 27 2004, 03:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rivers @ May 27 2004, 03:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chaotic@May 23 2004, 10:49 PM
Now that&#39;s funny.....*cough* disk read error *cough* :angel: [/b][/quote]
*cough*...means you should run a disc cleaner...*cough* :P

Rivers
05-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Herbus Maximus+May 29 2004, 07:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Herbus Maximus @ May 29 2004, 07:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Rivers@May 27 2004, 03:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Chaotic@May 23 2004, 10:49 PM
Now that&#39;s funny.....*cough* disk read error *cough* :angel:
*cough*...means you should run a disc cleaner...*cough* :P [/b][/quote]
:P