PDA

View Full Version : internet going wierd

Sacrifice
05-20-2004, 02:56 AM
my internet is connected fine (i think) but sometimes it says page cannot be displayed at random times =/ (yet i know that im connected and the website isnt down) how do i fix this?

Caged Anger
05-20-2004, 11:37 AM
first some info please, what kind of net service do you have (dial up, cable, dsl, ect.)

EXEcution
05-20-2004, 07:03 PM
he has broadband, and yes this happens to me sometimes too sac.
I dunno how to fix it, i usually just reboot, i figured that it doesn't have anything to do with the firewall (or so i think) i did run spybot and adaware, seems like everything is fine now. :hmmm:

OUTLAWS Behind You?
05-20-2004, 09:18 PM
If you click refresh, does it load?

EXEcution
05-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Behind You?@May 20 2004, 05:18 PM
If you click refresh, does it load?
if his problem is the same as mine then no
What happens is it takes like 20-30 secs to load that "Page cannot be displayed" page no matter how many time u refresh

Frag Junky
05-21-2004, 01:01 AM
In control panel under hardware settings for the Network Card is a option to have windows turn off power to the card when it is idle. Turn this option off.

Also right close is the option for Full Duplex as well. The easiest way to explain it is Full Duplex tells the system to push the card at full ability at all times.

Got nothing to loose. :WTF:

Do the follwoing only when you are having the problem, but try it when your not so you know what to look for when it is working right.

Also if this does not work, you can go to run, type in cmd and hit enter. This will give you a DOS box. Type in the following commands. (2K, NT, and XP only)

ipconfig/all

This tells you what your IP settings are. If there is not gateway or subnet mask, then the system is loosing the settings.

Also another clue is to ping a server. In the same DOS box try the following.

ping yahoo.com

If you are getting through, you will get an answer back real fast. If not you will time out and get back an error.

also you can trace the route to see where it is dieing.

tracert yahoo.com

This will tell you each jump from router to router until it hits yahoo.com. It will give you server names and IP of each one.

Armed with this information, you can call your ISP and give them hell.

Good Luck. :wave:

Sacrifice
05-21-2004, 03:24 AM
it seems fixed now =/ and yes i have the same problem as execution =0

ME BIGGD01
05-24-2004, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Frag Junky@May 21 2004, 01:01 AM
In control panel under hardware settings for the Network Card is a option to have windows turn off power to the card when it is idle. Turn this option off.

Also right close is the option for Full Duplex as well. The easiest way to explain it is Full Duplex tells the system to push the card at full ability at all times.

Got nothing to loose. :WTF:

Do the follwoing only when you are having the problem, but try it when your not so you know what to look for when it is working right.

Also if this does not work, you can go to run, type in cmd and hit enter. This will give you a DOS box. Type in the following commands. (2K, NT, and XP only)

ipconfig/all

This tells you what your IP settings are. If there is not gateway or subnet mask, then the system is loosing the settings.

Also another clue is to ping a server. In the same DOS box try the following.

ping yahoo.com

If you are getting through, you will get an answer back real fast. If not you will time out and get back an error.

also you can trace the route to see where it is dieing.

tracert yahoo.com

This will tell you each jump from router to router until it hits yahoo.com. It will give you server names and IP of each one.

Armed with this information, you can call your ISP and give them hell.

Good Luck. :wave:
i will not agree with this gentlemens suggestions--never ask yourself what you have to lose :shifty:

now what would i suggest? first what os and some specs would be nice.
i have seen this happend on some occasions where a irq being shared between usb and network card has caused a conflict with bus. i could go on to help you resolve the bus collisions but do not have the specs on your system. :thumbs: