PDA

View Full Version : MAYDAY MAYDAY!!! XP Major problem!!!

Caged Anger
06-07-2004, 02:09 AM
What is this???!!! :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead:
It showed up 3 times and each time it restarted the computer. But for background:
Just bought WinXP-HE at Best Buy today. Everything went in okay and I thought everything would be fine. I went to go online, was on a couple sec's and on my way here when this popped up (see pic below) it even happened when I wasn't on the net. Please help. I reverted back to WinME and everthing seems to have returned to normal, but I have a $100 piece of software that I need to know if I can use. An oddity is this, when I restarted once, i made it come back on in diagnostic mode. The box didn't show up but I was lost as to knowing how to figure out what the prblem is. PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!

SALvation
06-07-2004, 02:41 AM
That looks like the sasser virus or some other variant. Download all of the critical updates and search Symantec and Google for more details.

Caged Anger
06-07-2004, 02:44 AM
see, problem is that when I boot up in normal mode, I can't stay online long enough to get them. I get the box and it shuts down. Is there any way i could get the patch in ME, install XP, then install patch? I talked with some on HMF server and they said it was blaster and I should format the hard drive

Grimmy
06-07-2004, 03:19 AM
if you have another puter, download it to a disc and then run it on your machine. Otherwise I'd try to get what you can off your HD and format.

SALvation
06-07-2004, 03:48 AM
FYI - You can type "shutdown - a" in the Run box to stop the shutdown.

Fragetti
06-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Looks like the blaster virus :bandhead:

Open your task manager and stop the procces. then dl the fix and get rid of it.
do google search on blaster

Caged Anger
06-07-2004, 06:34 PM
thx guys

Fragetti
06-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Caged Anger@Jun 7 2004, 01:34 PM
thx guys
Any luck :unsure:

Caged Anger
06-08-2004, 11:32 AM
well....there's a catch to that. Yes, I had luck deleting sasser and I thought all was well and happy......YA, RIGHT! Go online and start makin my way to the forums when another box pops up. But this time I was prepared. Updated the Mcafee DAT files and when it began running, it caught the blasterworm and nuked it. BUYA! Running a scan all day in hopes of removing anything remaining. Wish me luck for the next time I try heading here at home :lol:

Oh, and BTW, Sal, that code didn't work. Are there supposed to be spaces before and in front of the dash? :hmmm:

SALvation
06-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Yeah put a space before the dash.

Caged Anger
06-10-2004, 07:31 PM
many thx guys, I dunno what i would do without you guys. probably have to pay some idiot of a microsoft techy that charges 1.50 a minute to tell me "well, duhhhhhh....i dunno." So thx again