PDA

View Full Version : painkiller expansion pack

JIMINATOR
06-25-2004, 03:15 PM
:hmmm: I will have some comments about this in the associated forums....

DreamCatcher Games Announces Painkiller Expansion Pack

Make bloody the Halls of Hell, Winter 2004

Toronto, June 25, 2004 - DreamCatcher Games today announced that it will publish the Painkiller Expansion Pack: Battle out of Hell for its award-winning Windows® FPS. Releasing well in time for the holidays, the Expansion Pack will offer multiple features to extend enjoyment of this spectacular shooter.

Picking up right where the game’s story left off, Battle out of Hell includes an additional single-player chapter with 10 levels, as well as new multiplayer modes, maps and models. It will also offer an amplified arsenal of un-deadly weapons, bigger and badder bosses and the map editor Software Development Kit.

A shooter in its purest form, Painkiller boasts truly stunning graphics and some of the most intimidating level bosses ever seen. The game utilizes the impressive Havok 2.0 physics engine, achieving new heights of physics-based gameplay, while the proprietary 3D "PAIN engine” is capable of pumping an unbelievably high polygon count while adding increased texture quality and the latest lighting and shadowing techniques.

Developed by People Can Fly, Painkiller is rated ‘M’ for Mature. Download the demo at www.PainkillerGame.com. An Xbox® version of this title is planned for early 2005.

BlackWolf
06-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Sweet :thumbs:

EXEcution
06-25-2004, 04:26 PM
I hope they make some improvements on multiplayer, sounds good tho if people are still willing to play PK after D3 and HL2.

SALvation
06-25-2004, 04:48 PM
You just beat me to it :)

I'm surprised they are doing this considering the embarrasing MP that is out of the box currently. Is there so much to fix that they just thought "ah, screw it, lets make an expansion pack and get some cash since there is so much to fix"?

JIMINATOR
06-25-2004, 05:15 PM
anyway, my comments:

Well, it's strange that I find myself both enthused and also disappointed at this release. I am glad that the single player game is being extended. In my opinion, the single player game is the best and only real reason to be playing painkiller. How much is this expansion pack going to cost however? At 10 levels compared to the original 24, there is much less content, especially if 3 or 4 of those are boss levels.

Secondly, it looks like the MP community is getting shafted once again. Currently we still do not have a functional MP game. So the new multiplayer modes, maps and models does not mean that much. Assuming that MP is made functional in the expansion pack, will current MP be patched to where they are compatible? Will downloadable maps be available?

For the map editor, more disappointment. It looks like people wanting to enhance the value of painkiller are going to have to pay more money to do so. Is there going to be scripting support? Some method for mod support (auto downloads, crc validation, etc)?

SALvation
06-25-2004, 05:25 PM
I agree. Sam 2 should be out by then or just after this expansion (Xmas) so I will be playing that instead of PK.

mod
06-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Since 1.2 came out multiplayer is quite good .(better than ss2)
I think its ok online and dont see why so many peeps hate multi
unless you totally suck at it..hehe :wootrock:

mod* :wave:

BlackWolf
06-26-2004, 04:41 PM
i still think that the RL is to powerfull in the multi and the Shotty to weak its better now but not there yet the Stakegun is great tho

Strifer
06-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Well, there is no good in forcing the game to be released prematurely. This the reason MP was so mediocre. The stakegun is fun though :P.