PDA

View Full Version : Uuuuh, Question On Linking PC's.

Burn the Witch
06-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Ok, so no doubt I will get endless flak from certain people from the words I am about to commit to text, but I have the summer comming up and my friends and I were hoping to connect 2 PCs together so we could share my net connection and both play Camelot (thats 2 people playing on their own accounts, but on the same connection in the same room)

My knowledge of anything like this is strictly kindergarten level, so if anyone is kind enough to reply, please phrase your answers as if you were speaking to a small child. Thanks.

Slash
06-28-2004, 05:14 PM
LMAO, the Cammy h8er himself, wb!!

JIMINATOR
06-28-2004, 05:19 PM
ok, how do you currently connect to the internet?
dialup or highspeed? cable or dsl?
what cables does your connection use? (usb or ethernet?)
do you have a router also?
does your friends computer have an ethernet card?
--------------
the best solution would be:
[router]<->[cable/dsl]
| &#092;>--ethernet--&#62;computer1
&#092;>--ethernet--&#62;computer2

Burn the Witch
06-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Heheh, I always played Camelot, before other GM people on the European servers, but I never played long enough at one time, I have a couple of 35 ish characters....

Ok

I connecting using a cable modem that uses a USB port, its high speed, but in Britain thats only 576kbs.

My friends computer (laptop) does NOT have an ethernet card.

I dont have a router.....but getting one is not a problem.

JIMINATOR
06-28-2004, 07:30 PM
ugh. Ok, you will need an ethernet card for both computers. (are you sure your friends laptop does not have an ethernet port? they started
adding those standard a few years ago)

anyway, to connect the computers you have two choices:
1) get a single crossover cable and plug it into each
2) get 2 regular cables, and a router configured as a bridge

note that crossover cable has to be marked as such, and cannot
be used as a regular cable.

once that is installed, on your main computer, enable internet connection sharing:

In Control Panel, double-click Network and Dial-Up Connections.

Right-click the connection you want to share, and then click Properties.

Click the Sharing tab, and then click to select the Enable Internet Connection Sharing for this connection check box.

If the connection you are sharing is a Dial-up connection and you want the connection to dial automatically when another computer on your home network attempts to use external resources, click to select the Enable on-demand dialing check box.

-------

alternately in network properties you can try bridging the usb connection to the ethernet card, but i have not had much success with that. more likely both systems will not be able to get online...

EXEcution
06-28-2004, 09:03 PM
I had a similar question as to how to link 2 computers in my case it would be 2 desktop PC&#39;s.
So a regular ethernet cable would NOT work? (e.g. like the cable i use to connect my computer to the DSL modem) and i would need to buy/get a "crossover" ethernet cable or buy a router?

JIMINATOR
06-28-2004, 09:33 PM
computer to computer is crossover cable
computer to router to computer is 2 regular cables

ME BIGGD01
06-29-2004, 12:17 AM
hmm, pretty much what jim said is correct but i think the router is the way to go. also i take it you are not using or have a network card installed on your pc? i would definetly purchase 1 for 30 bucks (get an intel brand card). using a cable modem via usb is robbing you of bandwidth and cpu cycles.

i think i will pey together a home netorking kit this week for gm members sometime this week. a simple how to do list and some security tips.

EXEcution
06-30-2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jun 28 2004, 05:33 PM
computer to computer is crossover cable
computer to router to computer is 2 regular cables
:thumbs: thanx