PDA

View Full Version : Win xp restoration

noldhor
06-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Hi

I would like to know how to delete some systems restoration points to free some disk space on windows XP

JIMINATOR
06-30-2004, 09:17 PM
right click my computer->properties, system restore, slide the slider
down. although if you *need* more drive space, you should consider
getting a new drive, since you are probably at 90%+

it may be that IE temp files are sucking up tons of space also...

JIMINATOR
06-30-2004, 09:21 PM
* If you start the Disk Cleanup utility and you click the Disk Cleanup tab, a System Restore: Obsolete Data Stores entry is available. These are files that were created before Windows was reformatted or reinstalled. They are obsolete and you can delete them. If you choose to clean up and delete these files, you will no longer see them under the folders that are mentioned earlier in this article, and the option to delete obsolete data stores will no longer appear on the Disk Cleanup utility.

*You start the Disk Cleanup utility, click the More Options tab, and then click Clean up under System Restore. When you do this, all restore points (except the most recent one) are deleted.

*You are running low on disk space, but not so low that System Restore stops performing. System Restore deletes some of the restore points, but not all of them. This occurs because System Restore uses a First In First Out (FIFO) process to decrease the size of the data store to approximately 75 percent of its maximum size when the data store reaches approximately 90 percent of its maximum size. The maximum size may be the default size, or it may be set by the user. System Restore performs this deletion regardless of how much disk space you have.

*A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then deleted because 90 days is the default time to live.

*You manually reduce the data store size. This triggers the FIFO process to delete some restore points to accommodate the newly-resized data store.

noldhor
06-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Thx Jim :thumbs:

Very complete informations, I like that :thumbs:

PJ'l_Master
07-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by noldhor@Jun 30 2004, 05:36 PM
Thx Jim :thumbs:

Very complete informations, I like that :thumbs:
between Jim and BiggD your question WILL be answered :thumbs: