PDA

View Full Version : New MB with WinXP

Death Engineer
07-02-2004, 04:41 AM
So I screwed up my old MB when trying to change out the CPU fan. Got my new board in and installed my CPU, ram and video and it boots fine. So I hook up the rest of my system including hard drives, CD ROMs, sound card, etc. And it won't boot into windows. I get a flash of a blue screen and then an instant reboot. Not even safe mode will boot up.

I tried only plugging in what I absolutely needed (hard drive, cpu, ram, video), but that didn't work either. I tried with one stick of ram...then the other stick. No dice.

I left my WindowsXP disc at work so I can't try a repair install until tomorrow, but should I expect that to work? If not, is there an alternative to completely formatting the drive? I'd hate to lose the 80Gigs of crap I have on there. :P

DE

ME BIGGD01
07-02-2004, 05:06 AM
are the motherboards the same chipset? if so it will work well. you may get away wit it doing a repair but you will have left over dll files and system files left over and could cause a decrease in performance or other problems. you should try booting into safe mode first to uninstall all drivers if possible :thumbs:

FUS1ON
07-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by huggy@Jul 2 2004, 06:24 AM
format c: :P
Stupid posts will be deleted :rolleyes:

SALvation
07-02-2004, 06:35 PM
After every new motherboard I have ever had, I've had to do reformat for Win XP to work again.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
07-02-2004, 09:26 PM
I've installed many MB too and have never had to format. The repair has always worked. :thumbs:

Death Engineer
07-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Well, I got the repair install to work, but not without some problems. I got an error that it couldn't find "procedure point getIMUS". I looked online and found that this is a documented problem with downgrading media player (from 9 to whatever XP ships with).

The MSDN support document actually specifies to keep clicking the OK button until the error goes away. I clicked about 3 times per second for over 3 minutes before it went away. And then it happened again toward the end of the setup.

Only MS would have a support document actually suggesting that you just click OK on the error hundreds of times and everything will be fine. :online2long:

Anyways....system is back as far as my desktop. I'll have some updates to load and drivers to fix, but things are looking brighter.