PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls/Virus Scanners/No Money

Alexis SC430
07-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Okay, so, what are the best free firewalls and virus scanners out there?

Right now I have Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 and Avast Antivirus Home Edition 4.1, and I didn't see any listed in merkwannabe's free stuff thread.

JIMINATOR
07-05-2004, 08:37 PM
dunno, i use a hardware router (really the best option, especially the
802.11g ones for fast wireless) and don't open attachments.
I don't use a virus scanner (me==loozer) and have not gotten
nailed except when i was younger and stupid.
for email, if you use outlook, go into settings and specify it to use
restricted sites, not sure about outlook express. in ie, go to the
security and modify restricted settings - turn every damn thing off.
that way no email will ever autoexecute itself just from having the
mouse on it. anyway, i reinstall windows once or twice a year and
back up my stuff. of course you know not to click on attachments.
just delete them unless it is something you are expecting someone
to email you. lastly, get a list of bible sites and only surf there,
everything else is suspect... shuriken

MR. SLiK
07-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Alexis SC430@Jul 5 2004, 12:58 PM
Okay, so, what are the best free firewalls and virus scanners out there?

Right now I have Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 and Avast Antivirus Home Edition 4.1, and I didn't see any listed in merkwannabe's free stuff thread.
Firewall - Zone Alarm www.zonelabs.com

Antivirus - AVG Free Edition www.grisoft.com

Grimmy
07-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Zone Alarm=bad, yucky!

Spend $40 and get a router, which has built in firewall. ;)

OUTLAWS Tip
07-06-2004, 12:52 AM
My Nortons expired last week. Using the free AVG anti-virus now and so far so good. I do also use Outlook 2k3 so email is pretty well protected.
:thumbs: :thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
07-06-2004, 01:12 AM
software firwalls suck--i can get through one of those like a hot knife in butter. most people can not figure away to configure them and it may also cause problems with your software.

virus software---i would not settle for anything at this point but mcafee's 8.0 .

i made a post a while ago for the software for free download but not aware if it's still good.

buy a hardware router/firewall. also if you are using nt kernel, make sure you name your work group other than msnhome. you should also goto folder options and disable simple file sharing if using xp.

Alexis SC430
07-06-2004, 01:34 AM
My computer connects to the web through a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router (BEFW11S4), but only one computer (not mine) uses the wireless function; all the rest plug directly into it.

Does this have a firewall built into it?

Danny -- I am running Windows XP Pro and I have everything resembling networking and stuff disabled. Also, I have my services tweaked down to the point when I only have 10 running processes usually. :)

ME BIGGD01
07-06-2004, 02:45 AM
yes your linksys is a firewall :thumbs:

you might want to look over this linky (http://www.gamemecca.net/v2/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=12&page=1)

to see if there is anything that might help :thumbs:

JIMINATOR
07-06-2004, 03:03 AM
yep. you will probably want to also make sure that you have a password
set for your wireless connection. you need to set it in both the linksys
and also the other computer. otherwise it is free internet for the
neighbors and whoever else happens to be nearby...

MR. SLiK
07-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Jul 5 2004, 03:17 PM
Zone Alarm=bad, yucky!
Hey if Mitnick uses it, I'm gonna use it, and its a damn good free firewall.

merkwannabe
07-07-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by MR. SLiK+Jul 6 2004, 12:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MR. SLiK @ Jul 6 2004, 12:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Grimmy@Jul 5 2004, 03:17 PM
Zone Alarm=bad, yucky&#33;
Hey if Mitchnick uses it, I&#39;m gonna use it, and its a damn good free firewall. [/b][/quote]
Mitchnick? :blink:

Grimmy
07-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by MR. SLiK+Jul 6 2004, 02:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MR. SLiK @ Jul 6 2004, 02:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Grimmy@Jul 5 2004, 03:17 PM
Zone Alarm=bad, yucky&#33;
Hey if Mitchnick uses it, I&#39;m gonna use it, and its a damn good free firewall. [/b][/quote]
till you get a router and then are wonder why you can&#39;t surf the net and such. Who&#39;s this Mitchnick you speak of? :WTF:

MR. SLiK
07-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Kevin Mitnick, look him up.

FUS1ON
07-07-2004, 09:47 PM
If you have no money like you said, then a software firewall like Zone Alarm is what you are gonna have to settle for. I used it years ago when I was on dial-up, I guess it worked, but the constant popups asking if this or that is allowed drove me nuts and I finally deleted it.

I love my Linksys BEFSR41 router w/firewall. It&#39;s as close to set it and forget it as you are gonna get and at &#036;40-45, it really cheap.

BTW His name is correctly spelled Kevin Mitnick LINK (http://www.kevinmitnick.com/)

Alexis SC430
07-08-2004, 01:09 AM
MR. SLiK said:
Kevin Mitchnick, look him up.

Wasn&#39;t he that "FREE KEVIN" dude who like hacked Sun or something and went to jail for four years without a trial?

Why would we want to use something he used? He got caught.

ME BIGGD01
07-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Alexis SC430@Jul 8 2004, 01:09 AM

MR. SLiK said:

Wasn&#39;t he that "FREE KEVIN" dude who like hacked Sun or something and went to jail for four years without a trial?

:rofl:

good point

MR. SLiK
07-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Outlaws Shogun@Jul 7 2004, 02:47 PM

BTW His name is correctly spelled Kevin Mitnick LINK (http://www.kevinmitnick.com/)
oops, thanks for the correction.

MR. SLiK
07-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Alexis SC430@Jul 7 2004, 06:09 PM

MR. SLiK said:

well obviously he didnt use zone alarm then, i dont think it even existed yet. I&#39;m talking about what he uses now.

Alexis SC430
07-08-2004, 10:32 PM
MR. SLiK said:
well obviously he didnt use zone alarm then
Obviously? You mean that Zone Alarm is such an absolutely amazing product that there isn&#39;t a snowball&#39;s chance in hell he could&#39;ve been using it at the time? You have THAT much faith in it?

Goober
07-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Alexis SC430@Jul 8 2004, 05:32 PM

MR. SLiK said:
Obviously? You mean that Zone Alarm is such an absolutely amazing product that there isn&#39;t a snowball&#39;s chance in hell he could&#39;ve been using it at the time? You have THAT much faith in it?
Here&#39;s some history that should clear things up.

Kevin Mitnick was arrested in 1995 for some serious hacking. Jailed in 1995 and released in 2003
Zone Labs, which makes Zone alarm didn&#39;t open doors for business until 1997.

What folks are trying to say is. Kevin is now working as a security consultant for the same folks that he was able to hack into. So being a proffesional (ex) hacker his knowledge of security flaws in software is quite valuable. So if he says that zone alarm is a good thing, then it probably is.

Here&#39;s a small article about him
Kevin Mitnick (http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/mitnick.background/)

MR. SLiK
07-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Goober+Jul 9 2004, 03:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goober &#064; Jul 9 2004, 03:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexis SC430@Jul 8 2004, 05:32 PM

MR. SLiK said:
Here&#39;s some history that should clear things up.

Kevin Mitnick was arrested in 1995 for some serious hacking. Jailed in 1995 and released in 2003
Zone Labs, which makes Zone alarm didn&#39;t open doors for business until 1997.

What folks are trying to say is. Kevin is now working as a security consultant for the same folks that he was able to hack into. So being a proffesional (ex) hacker his knowledge of security flaws in software is quite valuable. So if he says that zone alarm is a good thing, then it probably is.

Here&#39;s a small article about him
Kevin Mitnick (http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/mitnick.background/) [/b][/quote]
exactly what i was trying to say, thanks. Sheesh God forbid I try helping someone by suggesting quality free software.

Caged Anger
07-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jul 5 2004, 04:37 PM
dunno, i use a hardware router (really the best option, especially the
802.11g ones for fast wireless) and don&#39;t open attachments.
I don&#39;t use a virus scanner (me==loozer) and have not gotten
nailed except when i was younger and stupid.
for email, if you use outlook, go into settings and specify it to use
restricted sites, not sure about outlook express. in ie, go to the
security and modify restricted settings - turn every damn thing off.
that way no email will ever autoexecute itself just from having the
mouse on it. anyway, i reinstall windows once or twice a year and
back up my stuff. of course you know not to click on attachments.
just delete them unless it is something you are expecting someone
to email you. lastly, get a list of bible sites and only surf there,

umm, man, there&#39;s an easier way. And seeing how you can&#39;t outlook a yahoo or msn box (I think, don&#39;t quote me on this) Just use the Opera mail feature, that way the mail never even comes to your computer and you still get it just as fast as outlook.

JIMINATOR
07-10-2004, 03:13 AM
yeah, i can also telnet to the pop server and view my mail as text, but that&#39;s not something i choose to do.
most people here use outlook or outlook express, this was intended for them.... :thumbs:

Caged Anger
07-10-2004, 02:16 PM
ah :jammin: :thumbs: oke then

)CF(Kill Mee
07-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jul 10 2004, 04:13 AM
yeah, i can also telnet to the pop server and view my mail as text, but that&#39;s not something i choose to do.
most people here use outlook or outlook express, this was intended for them.... :thumbs:

Try SSH more security :P

Not but seriously webmail is underestimated thats what I think &#33;&#33;
why d/l the **** home first ??

I use Norton internet security and I did for 2 years now ,, never got hit by any
trojans etc, I ftp all day long and use Direct Connect so my pc is "out there"
test your pc security here >> http://www.auditmypc.com/
Cheers