PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Explained

SALvation
07-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Since some of you have been wondering what reputation is, here is the explanation from VB's site:

vBulletin's user reputation system provides a way of rating users based on the quality of their posts. Users on your forums can add or subtract reputation points from other users by clicking the reputation link in their posts. You can set restrictions on the giving and taking away of reputation points by users in your vBulletin options.

User reputations allow the users in your community to tell vBulletin which users are quality and which users are not. And in response to user feedback, vBulletin has the ability to label and reward users for the quality of their posts, as is indicated by their reputation.

You can label quality users by defining reputation levels in the User Reputation Manager. User reputation levels work very similar to user titles and user ranks in that they are an indicator of status that are displayed next to names in posts.

You can reward quality users by creating promotions on the Promotions page. Promotions are used to change a user's group memberships when they meet certain conditions, one of which can be their reputation level. Because forum permissions can be controlled with group memberships, a user's reputation in conjunction with promotions can be used to control a user's forum permissions. And so by using a combination of user reputations, promotions, and group permissions, you can enable your community to reward and punish good and bad posters on your forums.

Die Hard
07-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh right, I totally understand that.

Pure_Evil
07-22-2004, 01:59 PM
reward explained= awe, dat wuz a vewry special post, here's a cookie :p:

:hmmm: I can think of many ways to use that feature :devil:

JIMINATOR
07-22-2004, 03:28 PM
oh, oh vote for me, vote for me!!! please click on the little dishrag under my avatar!!!

JIMINATOR
07-22-2004, 08:27 PM
hey sal, does this reputation thingy work? I see that some have added to my rep, but it always remains at 0 (and has from prior days also...) should't this change? (for good or bad.... :D) I could understand it balancing out... but it shouldn't always be at 0....

Sepra
07-22-2004, 09:14 PM
I'm not nearly as popular as Jiminator :worldssma

solid snake295
07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
so how many points does it take to change your rating?

(check again Jim, i added one with a special message :babe: :o )

Die Hard
07-22-2004, 09:41 PM
.........Ahem

Sepra
07-22-2004, 11:41 PM
hey sal, does this reputation thingy work? I see that some have added to my rep, but it always remains at 0 (and has from prior days also...) should't this change? (for good or bad.... :D) I could understand it balancing out... but it shouldn't always be at 0....

where did you find that 'latest reputation' thing?

Is there a way to view all comments given to you? I see a comment on one post in a thread I made out of two. I guess what I'm trying to say is.......sometimes I make multiple posts in a day. How do I find out if someone commented or not without going back to each one and checking?

JIMINATOR
07-22-2004, 11:47 PM
in user cp it gives the last few reputation posts...
also if you click on your dishrag per post you get the comments....

(Villains) Crazy Idiot
07-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Since some of you have been wondering what reputation is, here is the explanation from VB's site:

vBulletin's user reputation system provides a way of rating users based on the quality of their posts. Users on your forums can add or subtract reputation points from other users by clicking the reputation link in their posts. You can set restrictions on the giving and taking away of reputation points by users in your vBulletin options.

User reputations allow the users in your community to tell vBulletin which users are quality and which users are not. And in response to user feedback, vBulletin has the ability to label and reward users for the quality of their posts, as is indicated by their reputation.

You can label quality users by defining reputation levels in the User Reputation Manager. User reputation levels work very similar to user titles and user ranks in that they are an indicator of status that are displayed next to names in posts.

You can reward quality users by creating promotions on the Promotions page. Promotions are used to change a user's group memberships when they meet certain conditions, one of which can be their reputation level. Because forum permissions can be controlled with group memberships, a user's reputation in conjunction with promotions can be used to control a user's forum permissions. And so by using a combination of user reputations, promotions, and group permissions, you can enable your community to reward and punish good and bad posters on your forums.

Please ban me from the forum, I was typing like a real IDIOT and then like someone refreshed my site BOOOOOOOM everything was lost, it never happened before. I have very little time to write here something,but when that happened, it is the same for me if you ban me, altho you think I'm Ghay.

Slice
07-23-2004, 12:33 AM
Please ban me from the forum, I was typing like a real IDIOT and then like someone refreshed my site BOOOOOOOM everything was lost, it never happened before. I have very little time to write here something,but when that happened, it is the same for me if you ban me, altho you think I'm Ghay.
You mean you're not gay? OMG and all this time..... and the love letters I wrote what a waste.... /faint :P BTW what the heck are you talking about someone refreshing your site?

EdoG
07-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Test...

EXEcution
07-23-2004, 02:08 AM
You mean you're not gay? OMG and all this time..... and the love letters I wrote what a waste.... /faint
:bawling: I want letters too!

Black Rose
07-23-2004, 06:30 AM
in user cp it gives the last few reputation posts...
also if you click on your dishrag per post you get the comments....
Thanks Jim http://www.click-smilies.de/my_smileys/smileys1/wub.gif

I can see now the reps and the comments, but I canīt see who gave me the points http://www.click-smilies.de/my_smileys/smileys1/eisschlecker.gif

JIMINATOR
07-23-2004, 10:18 AM
do you have an actual numeric reputation? mine is stuck at 0....

Black Rose
07-23-2004, 10:26 AM
do you have an actual numeric reputation? mine is stuck at 0....
nope it stuck to 0, but I have 2 reps with comments.

(Villains) Crazy Idiot
07-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Ok I would say, You were punked, but you were not, I just need a holliday, even a short one I just must see the sea and I will, I'm off till Wensday, BTW you 2 are the good reason I'm at the forums. I love both of you :thumbs: , but I'm still not a ghay. :bawling: :D :o :o

(Villains) Crazy Idiot
07-23-2004, 11:08 PM
C U Rose I still have that nice pic, it is in My Documnets folder. ;)

ME BIGGD01
07-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Thanks salv, I think that is a great thing to have. I kind of thought that was what it was but was'nt sure:thumbs: .

Thundarr
07-26-2004, 01:30 AM

Jiminator, how did you get to that, reputation listing? :confused:

JIMINATOR
07-26-2004, 02:35 AM
just click on user cp on the top left, should be towards the bottom right...

Thundarr
07-26-2004, 04:06 PM
just click on user cp on the top left, should be towards the bottom right...

Got it! I had been there before, just thought it was a bigger section for some reason.... :o

MR. SLiK
07-27-2004, 10:03 PM
ive checked bottom right after clicking user cp, i still dont see anything pertaining to reputation.

Slice
07-27-2004, 11:01 PM
I also see nothing about that in the right hand corner....

I think that an admin has to enable it for the memeber group you are a part of or something and not everyone has been enabled.

EXEcution
07-28-2004, 02:33 AM
Do we win stuff if we have a really high reputation?

SALvation
07-28-2004, 02:35 AM
If you click on Edit Options the second or third checkbox is to show your reputation.

Slice
07-28-2004, 02:41 AM
If you click on Edit Options the second or third checkbox is to show your reputation.
Nope don't have that option or anything like it.

SALvation
07-28-2004, 02:46 AM
OK, I'll look into it.

Grimmy
07-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Nope don't have that option or anything like it.
:hmmm: Under edit options, it was the second check box for me.

MR. SLiK
07-28-2004, 09:18 AM
nope i dont have it either, i have the first and third option, but dont have reputation option.

JIMINATOR
07-28-2004, 12:29 PM
only you admins have those special powers..... the rest of us are just loozers.
i happen to have mine on by default...

Thundarr
07-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Ah, so under User CP is just any comments I had, not necessarily my reputation level since I don't have that Show Reputation option, my screen looks just like Jiminator's... :o