PDA

View Full Version : damn, i have to move....

JIMINATOR
07-22-2004, 06:36 PM
May be vaporware, may be not...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1625014,00.asp

Verizon 'Fios': 15-Mbit/s Downloads For $44.95/Mo.

Verizon Wireless announced plans to offer 30-Mbit/s fiber connection to the home for customers throughout this year at prices that seem astoundingly affordable.
Verizon said it had begun fiber-to-the-home deployments, called "Fios", in California and Florida. The connections, which route high-speed fiber-optic connections directly to the home -- in place of a cable or a high-speed DSL connection over a phone line -- will be first be deployed in Keller, Tex.

Verizon's prices, however, may rewrite the compeitive landscape. The company plans to offer plans that offer 5-Mbit downloads/2-Mbit uploads for just $39.95 a month, or $34.95 a month as part of an existing Verizon plan. The mid-tier upgrade, however, will offer a whopping 15-Mbits/s down and 2-Mbits/s upstream for just $49.95 a month, or $44.95 a month as part of an existing package. Prices for the 30-Mbit offering have not been set.

"Fios will set the new standard for consumer broadband services in America," said Bob Ingalls, president of Verizon's Retail Markets group, in a statement. "Our customers will be amazed at the online world that Fios opens to them, as it can make applications like video chat and conferencing, digital movie downloads, and interactive multi-player games a part of their daily lives."

Verizon also said it plans a Fios video offering to give consumers an alternative to cable TV in 2005. Installation of the service will also include the suite of services currently available to Verizon Online DSL customers at no additional charge, including: MSN Premium content, Verizon's new Broadband Beat entertainment portal, up to nine e-mail accounts with 30 Mbytesof storage for the primary account and an additional 10 MB for each sub-account, address book and calendar; 10 MB of personal Web space and a Web site building tool, and access to newsgroups.

Fiber deployments will take place in Tampa, Flor., the Ft. Worth metroplex in Texas, and in Southern California. Verizon intends to pass 1 million homes and businesses in parts of nine states with fiber by the end of the year, the company said.

Die Hard
07-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Too bad they won't come to GA!!

Thundarr
07-22-2004, 08:46 PM
:eek: Get that over here in Michigan, quick!!!

T I K
07-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Thats Sweet:thumbs: But its just a matter of time "?" And we all will see internet connections and video streaming via power lines at 4mb + up/dwn speeds!! And probably as cheap or cheaper than present cable subs. :cool:

EXEcution
07-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Nice! i live in PA and i use Verizon.
=O

JIMINATOR
07-22-2004, 10:25 PM
lol, they said verizon wireless, which is strange, but also verizon dsl is really two different companies, verizon east (formerly bell atlantic) and verizon west, this sounds
like it may be verizon west..

bah, regardless, if consumer demand is great enough, the other bells will probably follow with something. bellsouth has upgraded some markets to fiber, but they only
offered 2MB service, then they upgraded their DSL offering to 3MB... (what I use now...)

laying fiber is hugely expensive and a cost never likely to be recouped...

Grimmy
07-23-2004, 06:20 AM
Time it gets to where I live, will be in 10 years. Then again I have been wanting to move to FL. More the reason to go :D