PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 Multiplayer Stuff

SALvation
07-22-2004, 11:29 PM
A nice interview at GameSpot had this as one of the questions:

GS: Will there eventually be a way for more than just four players to engage in a Doom 3 multiplayer game?

TH: That's just an artificial limit that we set. You are going to have to have a powerful server to have more than just four people playing on it. People's network connections are going to matter. Doom 3 is basically a broadband-only game. When you start adding clients, you're going to start adding traffic, and you're going to add latency and performance hits on the server. I have no doubt that one of the first mods for Doom 3 to come out will be eight-player Doom 3. But it's my guess that eight-player Doom 3 will be most effectively played on LAN servers.

Pretty interesting that they consider it a broadband only MP. Full interview is here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/preview_6103236.html

Rivers
07-25-2004, 03:55 AM
Nice interview. I was also kinda woundering about Quake IV but I guess no luck. Maybe we'll here more about it after Quakecon this year or something. I just bought my copy of Doom 3 yesterday (and it came with a puter Baron of Hell figurine) im desperatly combing my house for my copy of Doom 64 cause I felt like playing it. Man oh man I can't wait.

jin-roh
07-26-2004, 08:10 AM
yeah i bought mine several weeks ago an it also came wioth the baron of hell figure it's pretty cool i just can't freaking wait for DooM 3 i bought the collector series that was sold out for like months an months i never played final doom until now an i like it, i also bought The Lost Episodes of Doom book but i can't get the damn thing to work on my pc i guess because it has to be win 95 or the doom i have is not compatible with the disk that came with the book if anyone know how to install the jupiter episodes please contact me.

Death Engineer
07-29-2004, 08:47 PM
That's pretty much tells me this is a waste of money if you're buying it for MP.