PDA

View Full Version : question for bigg

Free Styler
08-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Well...maybe someone elese knows this i dontknow.anyways here is my question.I have a old k7s5a motherboard:) And i know bigg had lots of experience with it ,well.... i think he did anyways from a previous thread a while ago i think he had worked with a few of em.What ram latency can i put if i have 1 gig of DDR.The option is sdr/ddr cas latency in the bios and i was wondering if i could set it to 2t.It says it requires fater memory that specifically supports this mode.Well i think i had tryd it but had trouble booting up with it
at 1 time.

Anyways im formating my computer and was wondering is it suppose to work?

Anyways if you have any suggestions, thanks.

JIMINATOR
08-15-2004, 07:38 PM
spend a few hundred bucks and get a new system man, the little memory tweaks may not work or may not help that much. if you have a 2.5 option, try that, otherwise at 2, if it doesn't boot, then there isn't anything to be done with it...

Free Styler
08-15-2004, 08:23 PM
ya thanks for the help jimi.Actully i dont think im going to invest in a computer before a other year.But will probably be bying a xbox and play Mortal Kombat deception online.Always been a mortal kombat fan and player of course, since mortal kombat 1.And i think that investing in new computer right now aint worth it for me.Doom 3 hasent even come close to making me want to upgrade.So ill wait till the next game does.Mybe serious sam 2:)But till then i think ill have loads of fun with mortal kombat.Thanks for the help too.

ME BIGGD01
08-15-2004, 11:16 PM
hi fs, yes i have a ton of experience with that board. now to the latency.

first what memory do you have and what processor?

i take it you have a 2400 or under xp chip because it does not support any higher and the max fsb is 266.

now if you have 2x512 or a 1 gig stick i would advise you to keep it at a latency of 2.5. now there should be a setting in the bios for fastest which will run the memory and cpu at the fastest possible and that should be the setting you should use. also make sure the system is set to 133/133 which is memory @ 133x2=266 + fsb @133x2=266. all goes insync 266/266 and system runs smooth.

monitor the settings such as heat and make sure system doesnt run hot because those boards will blow a capacitor due to the heat and voltages. it really isnt a great board but it will run pretty good for you and really no need for a new system that may give you 30% advantage especially when you are in school and paying for it yourself (the way i did :thumbs:). one thing mainly i had a problem with many of those boards was the bios resetting and putting the system at a 100/100 bus. also due to the bios reset it would change all of the devices that were disabled to enabled thuis allowing windows to install a driver for it if you didnt notice that it reset upon boot. this was a bug in the board and many people have had this problem but not all. may have been a certain revision but if you havent noticed it, then you probably are safe.

things to disable are..
midi port
both com ports
game port
modem (cnr)which is built into the board and not used

these devices are in the bios section called features. you should disable these to free up the irq's and prevent other devices from sharing the irq.

this board use to be a great board when they were first released. they were cheap and ran extremely fast with an athlon xp chip. i have has some bad and some good but all in all it was a decent board with good performance. make sure you have a good power supply on that thing (no less than 350) so it gives the right power and doesnt cause power drips. again that will cause problems for you and maybe blow the system. keep an eye on the capacitors. if you see them bubbled up, than you should be carefull that the system doesnt blow which can harm other parts of the system within a 1 second span. i speak of experience with this. if capacitors are completely flat then you are ready to rock. there are also some bioses out there that were created for this board. like i said, it was an enthusiast's board and if you google it, you can get the unofficial bios to o/c it. i dont sugggest it but you have the option.

as for the xp chip, if it's older than a year old, i suggest just picking up a newer socket a fan. why? because the old heatsink and fans plainely sucked and amd actually changed the design of them due to them sucking. the bearings in the fan would go after awhile and make alot of noise and also actually after the damaged bearings, the fan did not spin at the correct rpm causing more heat to the cpu and worst just more heat. heat will cause you system to be unstable and also slow you down. heat = evil to a pc.

hope this helps some

you can sometimes catch me on msn real late. just add BIGGD01@OPTONLINE.NET to your msn.

Free Styler
08-15-2004, 11:54 PM
thanks bigg.Yes it was helpfull.