PDA

View Full Version : disk cleanup

Grimmy
09-16-2004, 07:55 AM
For the past week or so, I have been trying to run this utility, just trying to do some maintence and all, but I have left my rig running for 3+ hours, and it never completes. Just says it's compressing old files. I have ran Norton's utilities, they worked fine. I even reinstall the OS thinking that would help, but still won't run. Not sure if I have something corrupt or what?

Any ideas? Don't really want to reformatt. If I do, I am getting a new HD, maybe serial, thinking scsi (you can run a scsi and an ata drive at the same time?)

ME BIGGD01
09-16-2004, 07:59 AM
are you currently running diskkeeper as a defrag service? if so, try to stop the sevice also nortons can be causing that.

i also reccomed you go into the windows directory and clean out the prefetch folder while you are cleaning stuff. :thumbs:

Grimmy
09-16-2004, 08:16 AM
are you currently running diskkeeper as a defrag service? if so, try to stop the sevice also nortons can be causing that.

i also reccomed you go into the windows directory and clean out the prefetch folder while you are cleaning stuff. :thumbs:
I am not running diskkeeper, or atleast not that I know of. I have ran the defrag from windows and norton's both. I checked in the taskmanager and didn't see anything, but maybe it's called something funny.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
09-16-2004, 08:24 AM
I've seen disk clean up take a long time to run. But never as long as you're talking about. Does it even get to the screen where you check mark what you want to get rid of?

edit: click on my computer right click on hard drive (or local disk) which is usually c and then click on properties, tools, error checking, check now, check the box automatically fix, and scan for errors. This works fine for Windows XP and Windows 2000. Then try to do your disk cleanup.

Grimmy
09-16-2004, 04:12 PM
I've seen disk clean up take a long time to run. But never as long as you're talking about. Does it even get to the screen where you check mark what you want to get rid of?

edit: click on my computer right click on hard drive (or local disk) which is usually c and then click on properties, tools, error checking, check now, check the box automatically fix, and scan for errors. This works fine for Windows XP and Windows 2000. Then try to do your disk cleanup.
No HPC, it never gets to that screen to check stuff. :/

I tried what you said, and well do you get this that pops up? I did what ya said, and checked the box. Upon restarting I didn't see anything. Maybe someone can explain this a little better to me, maybe I need to change a setting or something.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
09-16-2004, 05:06 PM
My bad....That message will always come up.......sorry, I should have told you about it. Just click "yes", and restart your PC.

And if you don't like restarting your PC, you can put a check mark in the box for Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors and run it instead.

Caged Anger
09-16-2004, 06:50 PM
guys, you got this thing all wrong I think. I have a 27Gig hard drive with a ton of programs I never use. I ran that and it took about 6 hrs to compress them all. Now I'm assuming Grimmy that you have a 40+gig harddrive so i imagine if you don't have a super fast processor its gonna take you about 4-5 hrs to clean up all the old files. I just turned it on b4 I went to bed one night and woke up to it all done.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
09-16-2004, 07:46 PM
I've never had a PC take hours to do a cleanup before. But that's probably because I'm a very nice person.....it's a karma thing. :)

ME BIGGD01
09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
never should it take that long.

grimster, try this....

goto run type msconfig
goto start up tab and disable everything for the next boot up
close msconfig and it will ask you to restart
click yes and let it restart your pc
now goto my computur and get to your c drive
right click on c drive and choose disk cleanup and select all check marks.
it may take a little while but not hours.

if that still gives you a problem, i would then try booting into safemode.

if you have problems after that, i can help you another way through software but you will have to get me on msn:thumbs:

Grimmy
09-17-2004, 04:20 PM
never should it take that long.

grimster, try this....

goto run type msconfig
goto start up tab and disable everything for the next boot up
close msconfig and it will ask you to restart
click yes and let it restart your pc
now goto my computur and get to your c drive
right click on c drive and choose disk cleanup and select all check marks.
it may take a little while but not hours.

if that still gives you a problem, i would then try booting into safemode.

if you have problems after that, i can help you another way through software but you will have to get me on msn:thumbs:
I tried that last night, shutting everything off, restarting and tring it again, still wouldn't work. :( Will try to catch ya on msn some time Bigg. Probably next week some time (busy this weekend)

solid snake295
09-18-2004, 01:16 AM
OH! i had the same problem quite a while ago. im pretty sure i posted it here and someone helped fix it. ill look around and post a link if i find the thread :thumbs:

edit: yay! http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20585

Grimmy
09-18-2004, 07:08 AM
OH! i had the same problem quite a while ago. im pretty sure i posted it here and someone helped fix it. ill look around and post a link if i find the thread :thumbs:

edit: yay! http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20585
Thanks man! I will give that a try when I get home, back to my desktop :thumbs: