PDA

View Full Version : A n00b question

Die Hard
09-22-2004, 11:30 AM
I've just bought a new PC and I'm going to give my old one to my son who lives away from me.

I have never attempted to do this before and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me with:

1/ I intend to network both together and then copy and paste all my stuff onto my new PC. (I've been told this is the best way to do it?)

2/ I also use Outlook as my e-mail client. Can I just copy and paste the whole thing to my new PC?

3/ What about my adsl connection settings, Can I transfer those accross?

4/ When I'm done with the transferring I will give the old PC to my son. Will it work ok or do I need to know or tell him anything?

What other things should I look out for?

My old PC is running XP Home and my new one will be Running XP Pro.

I feel embarrassed having to ask these questions but I really have no idea, sorry :confused:

SALvation
09-22-2004, 01:25 PM
2. Your email is stored on your hard drive in a .PST file. Just copy and paste that file to your new PC to keep your messages. You will have to setup Outlook on your new machine with your account settings from scratch.

Fragetti
09-22-2004, 02:42 PM
If they’re both xp machines use the setting transfer wizard in the control panel. I did it on my laptop and it went rather well. I would still back up what you want first to a cd
or a hd on another system. If your in outlook go to export to file (pst)all personal folders) and backup to a disk or hd. that will backup everything in your mail. I thing when you use the transfer wizard it will ask you what you want to save and bring over to the new rig. As far as the dsl setting I would go to the setting and jot them down so you have them. hope this helped
Frag

Die Hard
09-22-2004, 02:56 PM
This is helping a lot. Thanks all.