PDA

View Full Version : anyone with a dell laptop--warning

ME BIGGD01
10-08-2004, 03:12 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18981

there is another recall on one of their products. please check to see if you fell into it.:thumbs:

PJ'l_Master
10-08-2004, 03:16 PM
man...good thing i decided not to get one then huh...(for school)

but then if not a dell what do i get?

Fragetti
10-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Its just the Ac Adaptors and docking stations. I have a persaio 1800xl and I love it.
It's and older unit about five yrs old but sweet. I have had no problems with it at all.
I even upgraded the cpu and I am looking for a combo dvd/cdrw for it.
Frag

ME BIGGD01
10-08-2004, 04:05 PM
frag, is that an athlon xp based laptop you have? i am curious because i wonder how you updated the cpu and what socket it was. most intel laptops are not upgradeable but 90% of amd laptops are upgradeable. i think it's great that you were able to upgrade instead of spending for a new one. i hope you post the system you boayght and what you upgraded to.

Grimmy
10-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Good find there Bigg. My XPS doesn't have one of those faulty AC adapters, although it does get warm, but then again it's a pow hog for a laptop :)

Fragetti
10-08-2004, 05:52 PM
frag, is that an athlon xp based laptop you have? i am curious because i wonder how you updated the cpu and what socket it was. most intel laptops are not upgradeable but 90% of amd laptops are upgradeable. i think it's great that you were able to upgrade instead of spending for a new one. i hope you post the system you boayght and what you upgraded to.
It was a p3 mp 750 the most the mobo would take was 850. its not much but I got the it for 50 bucks on ebay and wanted to see if I could do it. this puppy cost me like 3300 with all the bells and whistles 5 yrs ago. now you can get one twice as fast with more stuff for about 1/2 that.

ME BIGGD01
10-08-2004, 09:24 PM
socket 370? hell i have a few of those chips i would of mailed you if so.

what os you got runnng on it?

Fragetti
10-08-2004, 09:47 PM
oh sorry :)

Win xp pro / Pentium III-850 CPU, 196MB of SDRAM, 256KB L2 cache, 15-inch active-matrix screen, ATI Rage Mobility 128 graphics chip with 15GB hard drive, 8X DVD-ROM drive, V.90 modem, network adapter, touchpad pointing device, 8.4 pounds (including AC adapter and phone cord)

like I said it's about 5 yrs old and I did the upgrade last yr. Thanks anyway:thumbs: . I want to up the memory and put a combo dvd/cdrw or dvrw in it next.

ME BIGGD01
10-11-2004, 10:04 PM
i would hold off on the combo drive for the reason the price against buying a new laptop. i would rather suggest buying a dvd burner and putting it into a usb2.0 kit. i have done this as well for mobility when i am on the road and want to ghost a drive image on dvd. this may be an option to use for your desktop also if you wanted.:thumbs:

oh, that laptop looks pretty nice. it doesnt look 5 years old either. you must of paid alot for that baby at the time you picked it up. always good to see someone keeping their investment worth while.