PDA

View Full Version : how many of you think

Free Styler
10-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Ok well i dont know if this has been ever posted before

hehe funny how people often use this sentence before doing a thread.

Probably because if seomeone did do this thread it al be trown back in there face by some internet monk who ... with a old thread dating from 2 years ago shows the same thing had been mentionned.

anyways enough with that so here is what im going to ask.

How many of you think that the hardware meaning processor and ram and vidocard is direcly related to your performance in gameplay.

I know of course it has something to do but....how far or should i say how high would you rate the importance of it.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
10-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Yes, those things can give a skilled player an advantage. Don't forget that having a broad band connection is a big factor too.
The components you mentioned will increase or decrease your frames per second, and that can win or lose a game for you. *In my humble opinion. :)

Free Styler
10-11-2004, 11:57 PM
well...i agree high ping camper tho i will say when lag is not a factor my old rigs still does the job usally but...im always thinking of upgrading but then again
money wise its maybe not worth it for now.

for shure since im not all that bad in sam the factor is not as apparent as when i play other games such as utk4 where performance is very apparent

EXEcution
10-12-2004, 12:11 AM
I think that knowing the maps, and aim/reflexes are alot more important in gaming.

Fragetti
10-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Well if you look at the min requirements of the newer games should give you a good idea of what processor you need. As far as memory you can never have too much. Now vid card get the best you can afford. If you basing your question on ping then its your bandwidth more important upload speed. Maintaining an upload speed of between 500-750 kbs will insure a low ping and smooth running game (with minimal packet loss)

UT2K4
Pentium III or AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz
1.5 GHz or faster processor recommended
128 MB RAM (256 MB recommended)
3.5 GB free hard drive space
Any Windows compatible video card
64 MB NVidia GeForce 2 or ATI Radeon recommended

Tribes
Windows® XP
ATI® Radeon™ 9600 or equivalent DirectX® 9.0c-compliant 128 MB
3D video card with hardware T&L and pixel shader support
2.5 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon™ or faster processor
512 MB RAM or more

Doom3
Minimum System Requirements :
Windows 2000/XP only
Pentium 4 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon 1500
64MB GeForce 3 or ATI 8500
384MB RAM
2.0 GB free hard drive space
Recommended System Requirements :
Windows 2000/XP only
Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or AMD XP 2800
ATI Radeon 9800 or faster
Geforce 6800 FX
512MB RAM
Frag

FUS1ON
10-12-2004, 12:32 AM
How many of you think that the hardware meaning processor and ram and vidocard is direcly related to your performance in gameplay.

I know of course it has something to do but....how far or should i say how high would you rate the importance of it.

1) Yes I think it is related ... correction I know it is related

2) With things like connection/map knowledge/player skill/non-hardware related things being equal, I would rank it very high.

Dangerous Dan
10-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Ok well i dont know if this has been ever posted before

hehe funny how people often use this sentence before doing a thread.

Probably because if seomeone did do this thread it al be trown back in there face by some internet monk who ... with a old thread dating from 2 years ago shows the same thing had been mentionned.

anyways enough with that so here is what im going to ask.

i've played with a really poor computer, and my present computer, and there is no denying that you can become a better player with better hardware. However, at the same time i was also a good SS player on the old computer despite the disadvantage. But the fact remains, i improved my preformance upon upgrading my hardware. But, if i had to rank the importance of hardware versus skill, i'd say a good player witha bad computer can still beat an average player with a good computer, and an average player with a good computer will still lose to a good player with a worse computer.

But if i could throw up one more option, i'd say that having 120 ping, top hardware, and being a great player is the absolute best. I say this because i did get a connection upgrade, and when it's not being bogged down by downloading (cable is shared with a bunch of ppl) it can make all the difference. i don't get 120 ping, but somewhere between 160 and 205, compared to my old average of 200-250, and let me say, that's one of the nicest improvements i've ever had... one of these days i wanna try 120 ping, just to see whatit feels like :cool:

DiTomasso
10-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Its difficult, i tend to connection as the most important.

Sometimes i play on outlaws or figona and have the feeling of being invinceble.
I am there in front of them and they don't c me, so on my screen i am already there and on theres i am not.
Or the one time you are running for a weapon and another player overtakes you,
both with the knife????

Die Hard
10-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Talking purely Sam:

FPS helps, connection too. Although you can learn to play well with a high ping. My game on the Outlaws server has really improved over the last few months because I've percevered with it. You sort of get used to the lag and can alter your firing rate accordingly.

The most important factor is aim. It makes the difference between winging someone and really hurting them. Also, if you know the maps you can fire a rocket at a place, move onto someone else and then 3 seconds later that rocket will kill someone while you're killing someone else with the shotty.

I've recently changed to a much more powerful rig and I hardly notice a difference.

PJ'l_Master
10-12-2004, 06:17 PM
i would also have to say that the connection would be most important, that is not to say that you CANT play on a good solid 52 Kbps (with my machine i got a ping of 300). That is enough to make it bearable but thats about it.Short of that i would have to say it depends on what game you are playing...with lots of RAM in BFV you can simply beat the other players into the game and start out towards an enemy spawn or get the coolest vehicle...in UT this could also be helpful cuz that way you can get the PUPs before anyone else. In strat games i dont think it really matters cuz everyone starts pretty much at the same time