PDA

View Full Version : Damnit!

SALvation
10-16-2004, 02:22 AM
The Sony Wega TV I bought almost 4 years ago is starting to die. While watching it last night the picture suddenly disappeared from all sources but the audio is fine. Meanwhile the red standby light flashes. After some research it looks there are a ton of people that had the same problem between years 3-5 with the older Wega's. It looks like a minimum of $200-300 to get repaired and that looks to only last a few months. I might as well get a new one for about $500. What sucks is that I paid $1500 for this thing.

So does anyone have a good recommendation on a new 32" TV?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Bingo
10-16-2004, 02:59 AM
I bought a new 32" almost a year ago, and I've loved it. I poked around a good deal looking for one with the features that were important to me:

1) Component Video Input
2) Customizable and assignable picture settings
3) Flat or faux flat screen

I ended up with a Phillips, model 32PT553S.

It's been a great TV so far. I've loved it. I don't know if you are gonna insist on a true flat screen, but if you don't, I'd recommend it.

I love being able to set contrast, white level, color, etc to the way it's SUPPOSED TO BE, and have different settings saved. You've got 4 settings you can customize.

It has been kinda cool to have the 4 buttons at the top of the remote that you can set to different channels... 1 touch access. I use 'em mainly at different points, like 8, 30, 49, 76, to make it easier to surf my favourite blocks of channels.

The picture is great, contrast is top-notch, and it's been a great value so far.

Hope that helps -

Bingo

P.S. No matter what TV you buy, you've GOT TO, GOT TO, GOT TO, get yourself a proper setup DVD. I use AVIA Guide to Home Theater.

You will be amazed at what a properly calibrated TV looks like. :thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
10-16-2004, 03:40 AM
salv, i had the same problem and had it fixed. a few months later, it dd it again. i threw it out regardless of the good quality because i didnt want to keep throwing money away. next year, 2006 is the hdtv standard and deadline. might as well look into one of these pupies now:thumbs:

Slice
10-16-2004, 04:59 AM
Thank God I bought the 5 year waranty with my 42" Wega Plasma last year. I bought a 36" Hitachi about 6 years ago and it still looks great no problems with it at all to this day.

SALvation
10-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Well after about an hour of rest the TV is back and working fine, but I don't trust it. It has done it 2 nights in a row so who knows how long it will last. It would be nice if it waited a month or two for all the good holiday sales.

Caged Anger
10-17-2004, 03:07 AM
wish you luck sal, and if it refuses, mearly point a water gun at it. It will get the message

Death Engineer
10-17-2004, 05:07 AM
I, too, have a 32'' Wega bought in 2001. Aren't those dang things heavy?? We went through 3 different TVs before we finally found one that worked (ie. comes on when you power it up --unlike #1, and it tunes cable --unlike #2).

Give Sony heck about it even if it's outside the warranty. Let them know that you will be spreading the word about the quality of their product and that you won't be bringing back any business. Ask to talk to the manager if they just say that their sorry. Same thing to the manager. Rinse and repeat. Eventually you get to someone who doesn't really want to deal with you and you end up getting some good service out of the weasels. Heck, it's worth a try. It worked for me.

Grimmy
10-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Give Lev to get you a raise, get a 50+" dhtv ready sony that will last you forever!

I can help on the Lev raise stuff :thumbs: