PDA

View Full Version : Refresh Rates

Death Engineer
10-20-2004, 05:21 AM
What program (if any) do you XP users use to lock the refresh rate in games?

Die Hard
10-20-2004, 11:50 AM
I don't even know how you do that?

Goober
10-20-2004, 12:34 PM
I don't know of any software (but there's bound to be one)
In UT2004 you edit your ut2004.ini file to set your refresh rate.
The same with Tribes, you edit your ini file in it also
It's a good thing to have it set at the same rate as your desktop.
(a clip from ut2004.ini, see the bold setting)
[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
UseHardwareTL=True
UseHardwareVS=True
UseCubemaps=True
DesiredRefreshRate=85
UseCompressedLightmaps=True
UseStencil=False
Use16bit=False

ForrestFunk
10-20-2004, 12:52 PM
if you own a nvidia card go to display properties and then to the nvidia tab(cant describe it exactly right now cause im at work and here i dont have a nvidia card) there you can find a tool to set(and lock) the refreshrate for every resolution.(its in all detonator and forceware drivers)

Bong *
10-20-2004, 01:39 PM
what you need is Reforce (http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/download.html)

BlackWolf
10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
if u use ATI there are a option to do that in the new 4,10 driver that was released a few days ago

Death Engineer
10-21-2004, 03:36 AM
Argh. I'll go download the latest driver then. :) I have used a program called ResfreshLock in the past, but I am trying to get away from third party programs if possible.

Slice
10-21-2004, 04:01 AM
Argh. I'll go download the latest driver then. :) I have used a program called ResfreshLock in the past, but I am trying to get away from third party programs if possible.
There is your first problem, you are using an ati card. :P

He Is Legend
10-21-2004, 05:40 AM
There is your first problem, you are using an ati card. :P

Ati owns nvidia

kthx

Death Engineer
10-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Show me a comparable nVidia card to a 9800Pro 128MB for $175 and I would have gladly bought it a couple of months ago. That was the most bang for the buck and I have to say that it has been as stable (or more so) than my Geforce 3.

But let's don't turn this into an nVidia vs. ATI thread. The question was about Refresh Rates. Now where do you find this setting in the ATI driver? I downloaded the latest last night and the only spot I found was under displays where you can "override refresh rate". However, I still get some games where the refresh rate is 60Hz. :down:

JIMINATOR
10-21-2004, 03:37 PM
ah, DE, I have the help that j00 need, try this webpage, he gives several methods...
one method is to run dxdiag, more help, override, then you can lock the refresh rate, another more global method is to use a fake monitor inf file that specifies a minimum of 85 khz....

http://home.comcast.net/~kagamix2/xp-compatible/refresh_rate.html

Grimmy
10-21-2004, 05:05 PM
another more global method is to use a fake monitor inf file that specifies a minimum of 85 khz....

http://home.comcast.net/~kagamix2/xp-compatible/refresh_rate.html
85khz??? Holy crap! Are you sure on this, or was that a typo?? That's a ton for a vid card.

JIMINATOR
10-21-2004, 05:18 PM
ok hertz, that's what i get for copying crap....

BlackWolf
10-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Show me a comparable nVidia card to a 9800Pro 128MB for $175 and I would have gladly bought it a couple of months ago. That was the most bang for the buck and I have to say that it has been as stable (or more so) than my Geforce 3.

But let's don't turn this into an nVidia vs. ATI thread. The question was about Refresh Rates. Now where do you find this setting in the ATI driver? I downloaded the latest last night and the only spot I found was under displays where you can "override refresh rate". However, I still get some games where the refresh rate is 60Hz. :down:

sorry i thought it workt that override thingy i guess not then :(

Death Engineer
10-25-2004, 03:02 PM
I went back to RefreshLock. I just hate having third party apps in my startup folder. This one is necessary though, I guess.

For those interested, it allows you to override refresh rates for each resolution. It is low profile and just puts an icon in your taskbar.

JIMINATOR
10-25-2004, 04:00 PM
the dxdiag setting doesn't work? bummer. although not unexpected from mikeysoft...

Death Engineer
10-25-2004, 06:46 PM
No, he was referring to a previous post I made about overriding the refresh using the ATI driver.