PDA

View Full Version : Huge Cache of Explosives Vanished From Site in Iraq

CaptainKeyes
10-25-2004, 02:40 AM
:eek:
"By JAMES GLANZ, WILLIAM J. BROAD and DAVID E. SANGER

Published: October 25, 2004

This article was reported and written by James Glanz, William J. Broad and David E. Sanger.

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Oct. 24 - The Iraqi interim government has warned the United States and international nuclear inspectors that nearly 380 tons of powerful conventional explosives - used to demolish buildings, produce missile warheads and detonate nuclear weapons - are missing from one of Iraq's most sensitive former military installations."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/25/international/middleeast/25bomb.html?hp&ex=1098676800&en=61cf6e1aa29b7871&ei=5094&partner=homepage

SASQUATCH
10-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Lmao-lmao

Pure_Evil
10-25-2004, 11:19 AM
The huge facility, called Al Qaqaa, was supposed to be under American military control but is now a no man's land, still picked over by looters as recently as Sunday. United Nations weapons inspectors had monitored the explosives for many years, but White House and Pentagon officials acknowledge that the explosives vanished sometime after the American-led invasion last year.

The White House said President Bush's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, was informed within the past month that the explosives were missing. It is unclear whether President Bush was informed. American officials have never publicly announced the disappearance, but beginning last week they answered questions about it posed by The New York Times and the CBS News program "60 Minutes."

GG :thumbs:

hey, we know you didn't have any weapons of mass destruction, so here, you can have your conventional weapons back :eek: can we play now???

Thundarr
10-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Yep, we are winning in Iraq..... :rolleyes:

JIMINATOR
10-25-2004, 05:21 PM
...380 tons of powerful conventional explosives - used to demolish buildings, produce missile warheads and detonate nuclear weapons...
ah, the famous iraq nuclear program again. yes, i can see how you would want to get rid of radioactive materials by blowing them up.... :rolleyes:

Pure_Evil
10-25-2004, 06:18 PM
That was Kerry's fault for voting against the extra money to support the war! Didn't you know that! :P

JIMINATOR
10-25-2004, 06:29 PM
damn, too often i don't know what the hell i am talking about. anyway, conventional explosives are not going to detonate a nuclear bomb, assuming that they had an actual nuclear program.

"Why is building a nuclear weapon so difficult?
It requires solving several very difficult problems simultaneously. Acquiring the fissionable material to generate a nuclear explosion is the single most difficult step. But other daunting problems remain, including recruiting scientific experts in a broad array of disciplines, obtaining specialized industrial equipment, and avoiding the chemical and radiological hazards inherent in working with nuclear materials and high explosives.

How long would it take to build a nuclear weapon?
Probably many years, experts say. Iraq, for instance, tried throughout the 1980s and 1990s to build a bomb but failed—despite ample funding, readily available infrastructure and equipment, and a dedicated research team. The task would be even harder for a terrorist group without the resources of a state."

i also don't see that more of our troops getting killed justifies our being there.

but what the hey, one day we may get cheap oil out of this. or maybe not, i don't hear any texas oil millionairs bitching about the high gas prices.

Pure_Evil
10-25-2004, 06:48 PM
but what the hey, one day we may get cheap oil out of this. or maybe not, i don't hear any texas oil millionairs bitching about the high gas prices.
hmmm. I'm paying $1,89 for heating oil... $2.01 for gas, they say by end of winter, my oil price will be over $2.50. I think you got their angle all wrong, it may be cheap, but they charge us more. Since the war started, I've been paying more, not less. Iraqis pay less, since we subsidise their gas prices, but Americans pay more.

Put oil men in the White House, and pay more for oil, make sense to me. But be carefull, put Kerry in the White House, then pay more for Katsup, maybe we'd invade Italy for cheap Tomato paste :eek:

I say vote for Cobb :thumbs: