PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on the arts of living

SASQUATCH
10-28-2004, 07:38 AM
Been reading Joseph Cambell and I thought I would share it. Boy I need to stop reading and watch cartoons more. LOL :BL:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is through living that we experience and communicate the spirit

It is through Life that we learn to live in the spirit.

One in full quest of the spirit knows that the goal of life is Death.

Doh! Pretty depressing right LOL. . . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the Kingdom?

It lies in our realization of the ubiquity of the divine presence in our neighbors, in our enemies, in all of us.

The Privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. . . . <OneThumb>

ME BIGGD01
10-28-2004, 09:32 AM
sas, don't you know reading is bad for your health;)

Pure_Evil
10-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Oh my, Sas is getting in touch with his inner spirit http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/transform.gif

SASQUATCH
10-28-2004, 11:53 AM
LOL

He is a Philosopher and one of the best of this century. He studies the ancient thoughts from different civilization and puts them in prospective. I have seen his program on channel 13 PBS and he really is good.

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
10-28-2004, 12:52 PM
One in full quest of the spirit knows that the goal of life is Death.

I'm curious, how does Cambell justify that the goal of life is death? What argument, if any, does he make to back that statement up?

I would disagree with him unless he elaborates the thought and draws together some other conclusion. To me, the goal of life is not death. Everyone will die, therefore death is not a goal, but a destination. In fact, I believe that one of the goals of life is to avoid death (amongst other goals, such as understanding one's purpose in life and deriving pleasure from that purpose).

SASQUATCH
10-28-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm curious, how does Cambell justify that the goal of life is death? What argument, if any, does he make to back that statement up?

I would disagree with him unless he elaborates the thought and draws together some other conclusion. To me, the goal of life is not death. Everyone will die, therefore death is not a goal, but a destination. In fact, I believe that one of the goals of life is to avoid death (amongst other goals, such as understanding one's purpose in life and deriving pleasure from that purpose).

He is quoting what ancient Philosopher and there believes not taking it and believe it man. hehehe

What he does is interpret or gives some idea of what they are trying to say and what they believe in those ancient times and in his own opinion, which is respected by many.

Are we to believe that the Bible is accurate? No. . . But we are to understand a message or ancient believes. For some people they believe in God for others it is a book of values and last but not least are to believe that the bibles is part of history to understanding what people believe in those days, etc.

I think this would clear it in what I am trying to say.

He often quoted to illuminate his work. People like Buddha consciousness or the Christ for example; Socrates or Ethical Culture Society believes in the ancient and modern world of today.

I think you would like his work and books.

There is a book calls A thousand Faces which actually describes and tail of good against evil and it is very similar to the Stars Wars the story that was written by George Lucas but yet in a dissimilar way.

BTW I like what you said and it was nicely put in words. (Thumbs up)

Death Engineer
10-29-2004, 02:51 AM
<-- falls over and dies.

SASQUATCH
10-29-2004, 09:22 AM
<-- falls over and dies.

Be nice you! hehehehe

SASQUATCH
10-29-2004, 09:45 AM
<-- falls over and dies.

Be nice! hehehehe