PDA

View Full Version : can ya help a Brother out

Pure_Evil
11-03-2004, 11:35 AM
[SMS]S3y3n just built a new rig and is having issues.

Well I have finally gotten around to putting everything together and all I can say is that I want to smash the computer into a thousand pieces just because computers frustrate me so much....or else it just seems i have the worst of luck.

Heres the final specs before installation of drivers and sp2

VicsiousPC clear ATX case
Enermax 480w CoolerGiant PSU
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Edition motherboard w/ nForce 3 Ultra chipset
Athlon 64 3400+ socket 939
CoolerMaster Hyper6 CPU pure copper w/ 6 heapipes heatsink
BFG nVidia FX 6800 GT 256mb
512Mb Corsair DDR 333mhz RAM
WD 10,000RPM SATA 74Gb HD
WindowsXP Home Edition

with all these components successfully installed I began installing sp2, which went fine...then DirectX....fine....then chipset drivers....not fine. For some reason once I installed the chipset/nForce platform drivers a disconnected network card alert was in the bottom right corner. After trying to resolve this as much as possible, nothing fixed it to my endless efforts, even though the internet worked just fine. Then I go ahead and startup UT2004 and whether online or offline(botmatch) I experience the worst pausing/hitching I have ever experienced. I can start playing for at most 5 seconds then I will get about 25 seconds of pausing then unpausing for a second or two then another long pause, and then it upauses for like half a second and then the process repeats making it impossible for me to do anything.

I have troubleshooted to the point of exhaustion and cannot nothing works to all my avail. Ive even done a full uninstall of ut2k4 and reinstall and reformat of hard drive and then reinstall of windows xp. I tried right after installing ut2k4 and after installing the latest patch and still nothing. I dont see the problem being the graphics card, because on default settings I'm getting close to 200 frams per second(o_O)!! I also done have any audio card installed and Ive tried changing the "avoidhitches" setting in ut2004.ini to true and this still doesnt fix it.

This isnt the first computer I've built either, but Im going to be stuck with no UT2004 action until I can get this fixed. Looks like Im going to be scrambling to get it working before next practice guys or Im just SOL after 4 months of buying decisions and $1500 dollars later.

Frustrated doesnt even begin to define it

any ideas? The brothers got a match on Thursday and no PC

JIMINATOR
11-03-2004, 12:53 PM
1) does this affect browsing and downloads also?
2) was it possible to get by without the chipset driver, or to download updated ones
3) i think it has 2 ethernet ports, are the results the same through each, and what happens if one is disabled?
4) are there any "bridging connections" in the network panel?
5) what happens with disabling them all and using an ethernet card?
6) try rebuilding tcp/ip stack : netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Fragetti
11-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Try turning down the quality setting on your vid card and see if that helps.
In Ultra Quality nothing is compressed. Normal maps, and specular and diffuse lighting are all displayed at full resolution with no compression. Because of this, there is a tremendous amount of texture data needed on the video card, upwards of 500MB. While it will run on lesser cards, you may experience hitching or pausing due to the graphics card having to swap textures in and out of its memory buffer. That is why this setting is recommended for 512MB video cards. There is nothing stopping you from trying this quality setting if you want to, just keep in mind that the memory load is huge.

Something to think about
Frag

How do other games run? make sure your cpu (multiplyer/FSB) bios setting are correct even if using the default setting.

ME BIGGD01
11-04-2004, 01:37 AM
the 3400 model chip is not a 939 part. does he have a 3400 chip?

ME BIGGD01
11-04-2004, 01:48 AM
[SMS]S3y3n just built a new rig and is having issues.

any ideas? The brothers got a match on Thursday and no PC
that video card is good but depending on the revision, it may have the old heatsink and fan whicj is known to get very hot and cause problems.

tell him to use the defalt heatsink at first for his cpu

his bios settings may be giving him a problem and he will eed to adjust them to the correct settings. tell him to disable anything not being used like the sata or raid and comports etc etc. this can cause a conlfict if irq's are bein shared. xp is good but there can still be an issue.

he should install the chipset drivers first off the cd before anything. no virus software should be instaled before that. make sure the pc is not connected to the web during thse driver install. the order should go like this. os, sp2, drivers for motherboard and then drivers for video card (use latest drivers from nvidia). after ll of that is installed, he should continue with othr software.

make sure he has the memory in the proper slots if he has the 939 chipset, he is required to put th ememory in the 3rd slot or in this order
0010 if he has 2 sticks it would go like this 1010.

his memory is rated at 333 so this must be set in the bios whic i think is what is ausing him problems. 939 chipsets run dual channel mode so he must set the memory config correctly.

ME BIGGD01
11-04-2004, 01:51 AM
CPU
• Supports Socket 939 for AMDฎ Athlon™ 64FX/64 processor
• Supports 3500+, 3800+ Athlon 64FX 53, or higher CPU

Chipset
• nVIDIAฎ nForce3 Ultra Chipset
- HyperTransport link to the AMD Athlon 64/Athlon 64FX CPU
- HyperTransport supporting speed up to 1GHz (2000MT/s)
- AGP3.0 8X interface at 533MT/s (million transfers per second)
- Two independent SATA controllers, for four drives
- IEEE 802.3 NVIDIA MAC for 1000BASE-T
- Dual Fast ATA-133 IDE controllers

Main Memory
• Supports dual channel DDR 266/333/400, using four 184-pin DDR DIMMs.
• Supports the memory size up to 4GB
• Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMM

Slots
• One AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) 1.5V 4X/8X slot
• Five 32-bit v2.3 Master PCI bus slots (support 3.3v/5v PCI bus interface).

On-Board IDE/SATA
• An IDE controller on the nVIDIA nForce3 Ultra chipset provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM with PIO, Bus Master and Ultra DMA133/100/66 operation modes.
- Can connect up to 4 IDE devices
• Supports 4 SATA ports. Transfer rate is up to 150MB/s
• NV RAID (Software)
• Support up to 4 SATA & 4 ATA133 Hard drives
- RAID 0 or 1, 0+1, JBOD is supported
- RAID function work w/ATA133 + SATA H/D

BIOS
• The mainboard BIOS provides "Plug & Play" BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically.
• The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications.

Audio
• 7.1 channel audio codec RealTek ALC850.
- Compliance with AC97 v2.3 Spec.
- Meet PC2001 audio performance requirement.

LAN
• Supports dual LAN jacks
- 1 LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Marvell 88E1111 PHY
- 1 LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Realtek 8110S (1000Mbps)

IEEE1394
• VIA 6306 chipset
- Supports up to 3 x 1394 ports
- Transfer rate is up to 400Mbps

these are his specs----he should disable the realtek nic if not using it and anything else. that 939 and 3400 has me confused and assume it is an error.

ME BIGGD01
11-04-2004, 09:26 PM
i almost forgot which may be causing problems. disable the powernow in the bios. anyone with an athlon64 system used for gaming should not use this.