PDA

View Full Version : How are you buying Half-Life 2?

SALvation
11-14-2004, 01:16 AM
Just curious how people plan on buying HL2 if they plan on getting it. I'm downloading from Steam right now I'll be ready right at Midnight on Monday. Plus, I want to support what I think is a great way to distribute games in the future.

EXEcution
11-14-2004, 01:53 AM
I think so too.
Beat driving to a freakin store and finding out that they dotn have any copies left.
Im dling off steam with my coupon!

BobtheCkroach
11-14-2004, 01:57 AM
I have 27 Best Buy Bucks, and no credit card to order on Steam...so I'm buying at Best Buy.

SALvation
11-14-2004, 03:21 AM
I think so too.
Beat driving to a freakin store and finding out that they dotn have any copies left.
Im dling off steam with my coupon!
I would start preloading it now. I have been going for about 4 hours now and am at 12.8% complete. I think the preload is close to 2G.

EXEcution
11-14-2004, 03:26 AM
I would start preloading it now. I have been going for about 4 hours now and am at 12.8% complete. I think the preload is close to 2G.
must be im 57% of the way there, when i started it like jumped to 23% all of the sudden, i was like wtf, i hope it'll still work.

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
11-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Although I'm not buying Half-Life 2 (I won't be able to run it), I would like to comment on the "Steam" method of purchasing and downloading the game. In the future, I hope that games are not solely available via download from the Internet. The reason I feel this way is because I prefer having a paper instruction manual over a PDF or computer file manual.

Although in Half-Life 2 or any other FPS game this is not that big of an issue, I think it does matter where the manual is important, such as in RPGs. Again, I'm not saying that Steam is a bad way for distrubuting games, but I am saying that I hope that developers continue to leave the option open to the consumer to buy CDs/DVDs and do not solely offer the game via Steam.

EXEcution
11-14-2004, 03:28 PM
It downloads pretty fast too, im getting 1.1 MBs, which is pretty fast compared to my regular download speed.

::: DARK PSI :::
11-14-2004, 04:34 PM
I completely agree. I would never purchase my software with this method. I would rather have the physical box, manual and CDs. What happens if one does not have a DVD burner or CD burner (becoming rare I know that they don't) and they want to keep the game. Why should they spend full price on a game and have to burn it to CD/DVD themselves. Is there a discount for STEAM? If not, I think software companies are tremendously reducing their processing and shipping costs and not passing it down to the end user.

I still vote for having the pretty little box in my hands. :)

Although I'm not buying Half-Life 2 (I won't be able to run it), I would like to comment on the "Steam" method of purchasing and downloading the game. In the future, I hope that games are not solely available via download from the Internet. The reason I feel this way is because I prefer having a paper instruction manual over a PDF or computer file manual.

Although in Half-Life 2 or any other FPS game this is not that big of an issue, I think it does matter where the manual is important, such as in RPGs. Again, I'm not saying that Steam is a bad way for distrubuting games, but I am saying that I hope that developers continue to leave the option open to the consumer to buy CDs/DVDs and do not solely offer the game via Steam.

EXEcution
11-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Well im done preloading, and i paid nothing for the game. (except the price of the video card)

JIMINATOR
11-14-2004, 05:28 PM

lol, great theory, but nowadays both hardware and software companies are doing away with as much paper as possible. You might be lucky to see a quick install guide, an errata sheet and a url, the rest is on an included cd rom. nothing like having something in your hands to read, but the reality is about the $$, and any paper they can avoid printing, they do to save the money, and geez, with steam, how much big dollars are they saving? no printing, manufacturing, distribution costs, etc. they get to keep the whole enchalada, probably adds some $30 direct profit for each sale...

Fragetti
11-14-2004, 06:25 PM
I looked into that steam thingy...... No discount wtf 54.95 dang
wallmart will sell it for @least 39 -49. I have purchased other softwear by download and it's nice to have it now. but I too do like having the manual and CD and stuff.
Frag

MR. SLiK
11-14-2004, 06:53 PM
im buying half life2.... when they add some DM damnit.

Dangerous Dan
11-14-2004, 11:39 PM
internet scams suck, retail is the only way to go

Rivers
11-15-2004, 12:07 AM
I looked into that steam thingy...... No discount wtf 54.95 dang
wallmart will sell it for @least 39 -49. I have purchased other softwear by download and it's nice to have it now. but I too do like having the manual and CD and stuff.
Frag

Agreed!

EXEcution
11-15-2004, 12:52 AM
internet scams suck, retail is the only way to go
lol its not a scam if u buy via steam u will get the entire game indefinitely, and hl2 HAS MULTIPLAYER! Its a little game called cs, and there are mods in the making. :)

SALvation
11-15-2004, 01:39 AM
Also, I'm pretty sure that HL2 does not have a traditional manual. It's more of a reference card. They consider the Prima Strategy Guide the only official documentation. I've never done anything useful with a game box and I see no need for 5 CDs when I can have 1 DVD. Also, through retail, the developers get about 7% of the price. Through Steam they get almost 30%.

BobtheCkroach
11-15-2004, 04:29 AM
EXE...CS sucks, get over it. As far as the burning, even though I know that I paid for it and it's legal when I have the game downloaded, I always think burned CDs just look cheap, stolen, etc. Same reason that I don't download CDs, even legally. I have a friend that only buys CDs from ITunes, b/c it's only 9.99 for a CD...which is a good savings. But for me, I hate looking at a burned CD that has "Half Life 2" written in my handwriting w/ a sharpie...I like CDs that look legal. I guess that's just a preference thing.

SALvation
11-15-2004, 05:23 AM
In case you were curious, the official amount that is downloaded and preloaded is 4.21 G. :O

EXEcution
11-15-2004, 07:48 PM
wow no wonder it took so long to download, and cs doesn't suck, its all about preferance, cs is slow-paced, teamwork oriented, and realistic, some people like that while others don't. I kinda feel neutral about it after playing it for a while.

SoulReaver
11-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Lol I created this topic awhile back but anywho. I am gonna get it at EB. I don't have a credit card and I bet my dad won't allow me to get it off Steam. I think Steam is a good method since developers get more of the profit. I can't wait for HL2 and CS:S!

Die Hard
11-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Hmm, I'll look at steam and let you know.

Die Hard
11-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Did a quick bit of research and found this! http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19710

Ra\/en
11-18-2004, 03:12 AM
If i were to buy the game.. i would probably just go to the store.. It feels good to have a shiny box and a colorful game manual and happy looking cds... and a nice cd case... MMMM!!!

SALvation
11-18-2004, 03:43 AM
The CDs come in sleeves and the manual is a joke. The box, however, could be the start of a grand fort! :)

Slice
11-18-2004, 03:55 AM
Also, I'm pretty sure that HL2 does not have a traditional manual. It's more of a reference card. They consider the Prima Strategy Guide the only official documentation. I've never done anything useful with a game box and I see no need for 5 CDs when I can have 1 DVD. Also, through retail, the developers get about 7% of the price. Through Steam they get almost 30%.I think it is a great concept. However if they wanted more business they should discount the price for downloading it and then make it an option for a slight fee to receive the game later in the mail. Or they could charge the normal price and package and ship it at a later date.

The reason why I think they would be more sucessful with the hardcopy mailing is because you have to remember the vast majority of computer users are probably not comfortable enough to download a game pay over $50 for it and then try and burn it to cd or dvd for backup. Let's face it hard copies provide a sense of security for those who may not be comfortable making copies. Personally I have purchased software by downloading it including the software which runs my hotels.

BobtheCkroach
11-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Did a quick bit of research and found this! http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19710

Ha ha ha! Sucks to be the folks in Europe! I got the same message, basically, with one small change...the second paragraph started like this:

"You can still play Half-Life 2 Retail Standard while your subscription is being processed. We will notify you when it is done." or something darn close to that.