PDA

View Full Version : need serious help

He Is Legend
11-16-2004, 10:20 AM
ok first of all

I got a 512mb stick of ddrram

and im making a movie of a game I play..normally i though it wouldnt do this but

Most of the time when im making it it..sometimes when i add videos.. a thing at the bottom of my tray says "warning virtual memory too low" with a yellow box with a ! in it

so i got to my dxdiag and see i have my paging file on 1018mb used and 104mb avaliable..im defragmenting at the momment..

but what i want to know is there anything out there to improve this in anyway?..or someway on the comp itself?..i know people that make hour long movies with 512mb like mine and mines only 14min right now

help.. please :(

EDIT: When the notifacation pops up..my movie maker closes out and i have to restart from where i saved....i seriously need some help >.<

JIMINATOR
11-16-2004, 12:01 PM
your vm file may be corrupt, try setting it to 0, reboot, turn it back on...

He Is Legend
11-16-2004, 04:40 PM
what's that?

He Is Legend
11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
now i have 356 avaliable instead of 100..but thats still alot less than what i want

JIMINATOR
11-16-2004, 06:06 PM
my computer, properties, advanced, performance, settings, advanced, virtual memory, change, no paging file, set, ok, ok, ok, reboot, defrag your drive, repeat and click on system managed size.

JIMINATOR
11-16-2004, 06:07 PM
and you will want to kill any unnecessary programs with ctl-alt-del

He Is Legend
11-16-2004, 06:13 PM
thanks jim

trying that now

Fragetti
11-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Good one Jim

Thats the best your gona do bud :(

ME BIGGD01
11-17-2004, 06:08 PM
ok first of all

I got a 512mb stick of ddrram

and im making a movie of a game I play..normally i though it wouldnt do this but

Most of the time when im making it it..sometimes when i add videos.. a thing at the bottom of my tray says "warning virtual memory too low" with a yellow box with a ! in it

so i got to my dxdiag and see i have my paging file on 1018mb used and 104mb avaliable..im defragmenting at the momment..

but what i want to know is there anything out there to improve this in anyway?..or someway on the comp itself?..i know people that make hour long movies with 512mb like mine and mines only 14min right now

help.. please :(

EDIT: When the notifacation pops up..my movie maker closes out and i have to restart from where i saved....i seriously need some help >.<

just want to make sure you have the update for movie maker? as far as your swap file being corrupt, i do not see that as being a problem and doubt that very much. the problem seems to be that you may have a program running that is conflicting with the application you are working on like photoshop, they do not require you to use the same drive as the swap file. also lets face it, movie maker is bugier than anything and just a generic way to edit your clips. my uncle loves movie maker but it does give him alot of problems at times. i will suggest, changing your swapfile settings to system manage which i noticed that xp sets a number and sometimes will screw you up with things. set the swap file to system managed and restart your pc. also if you have system restore enabled, disable it. it works like crap and will cause you many problems when working with large data files such as video. 10 minutes of video can add up to a gig of data. i also suggest you disable virus software during editing and any other spyware utility while editing. you are not online at the time so no need to hog up your resources.

He Is Legend
11-17-2004, 06:12 PM
just want to make sure you have the update for movie maker? as far as your swap file being corrupt, i do not see that as being a problem and doubt that very much. the problem seems to be that you may have a program running that is conflicting with the application you are working on like photoshop, they do not require you to use the same drive as the swap file. also lets face it, movie maker is bugier than anything and just a generic way to edit your clips. my uncle loves movie maker but it does give him alot of problems at times. i will suggest, changing your swapfile settings to system manage which i noticed that xp sets a number and sometimes will screw you up with things. set the swap file to system managed and restart your pc. also if you have system restore enabled, disable it. it works like crap and will cause you many problems when working with large data files such as video. 10 minutes of video can add up to a gig of data. i also suggest you disable virus software during editing and any other spyware utility while editing. you are not online at the time so no need to hog up your resources.

Thanks bigs

always helps ;)

Death Engineer
11-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Any recording software that is keeping the whole recording in memory is poorly written. What should be happening is a background thread should be spawned that buffers writes to a file to keep the memory size low. That's my 2 cents. ;)

He Is Legend
11-17-2004, 06:52 PM
I think Vegas does that

But I dont know how to use it :/