PDA

View Full Version : Dropped...

Caged Anger
11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
My connection constantly drops me and its really starting to **** me off. I think you gus would understand if you were in my position, but anyway. I have a dial up modem that has been giving me grief for a little while now. I've updated all the drivers and made it fully XP comaptible yet it still drops me. Any ideas?

T I K
11-18-2004, 04:05 AM
Sounds to me like your isp has to many pps on the (your) same dialup node! When I had dialup, I would get bumped alot. You can call your ISP and tell them that your having trouble staying connected (may or may not help). Also if your ISP has other ph#s to connect to internet, and with out being long distance you should try another ph# to connect with.

I doubt that its your card/modem!! Try those things first and maybe even consider a diff isp in your area. Ask how many pps they allow per node connection ph # as some isp's over sell their node capacity. You want the lowest pps per node for an isp, then compare the isp's by that!! ;)

JIMINATOR
11-18-2004, 04:20 AM
ok, do you have call waiting? problem solved. add a *70,,, (I think, it may be different for your telco) to the front of your dial in string and it will disable call waiting for the duration of the call... (the commas are to pause before dialing the main number)

JIMINATOR
11-18-2004, 04:26 AM
If you don't have call waiting though you are probably screwed. Try listening to the phone to see if you can hear noise. Look on the side of your house to see if you have an old NID - the green telco box. If it is old and you have a noisy line, you can probably call telco and complain and they will probably send someone out to replace it. or alternately tell them there was a huge lightning strike recently and your phone service has been crap ever since. for testing, you can always run a phone line directly from the NID to your computer (may need to be a loooooong one) to see what type of connection you get. if it is good and clean, then your internal wiring probably sucks. there may be shorts or other problems. that will cost money to correct though...

Slice
11-18-2004, 04:33 AM
Make sure that you disable the disconnect on idle feature in your isp's software settings. The default is usually set to enable and set to auto disconnect in like 10 minutes or so.

Caged Anger
11-20-2004, 12:11 AM
oke, Jim, no call waiting. Box is new, idle drop dissabled, called tech hotline 5 times, no help. Says everything is fine. Definately am considering a different provider though in the very near future. thx a bunch, i know this is a little out of your area now that the technology is greatly passed its time of worth