PDA

View Full Version : Chaotic having probs...again

ZeLL
11-22-2004, 05:47 AM
the little notche that the heatsink usually hooks onto completely broke off on his motherboard. the other two next to the one are still on, it was just the middle one that you normally connect your heatsink to. wtf is he sopose to do?

ZeLL
11-22-2004, 05:59 AM
this doesn't mean he would have to buy an entire new MB because of this would it? Theres gotta be a heatsink that uses the outside 2 notches on atleast this one side.

Slice
11-22-2004, 06:09 AM
Is he banned from here or something? It seems every time he has a problem you post it for him. Is the notch completely broke or can it be mended?

JIMINATOR
11-22-2004, 06:46 AM
well, he can go to compusa or bestbuy or where ever and look for a compatible heatsink that has a bracket that will support all three notches. or else it can be an expensive lesson on why not to muck around with a motherboard. Really there is nothing to be gained from pulling off a heatsink once you have a good install. on older amds you can easily destroy the ceramic cover to wreck the cpu. not to mention bending pins, or cracking the board from too much pressure, or smacking down with a screwdriver to destroy components. These are all pretty easy to do on older boards.

ZeLL
11-22-2004, 06:46 AM
well slice, i post when something stops working on his computer, therefore he can't log on to post it himself. :P

its completely broke off, but thats only the middle notch of the three on one side
so it looks like this
= =

=

= =

ZeLL
11-22-2004, 06:48 AM
damn thats a crappy picture i made.

Thanks jim thats actually what i was thinking. I tried web searching for a 3 notch compatible heatsink but that crap is hard :/

Slice
11-23-2004, 01:55 AM
damn thats a crappy picture i made.

Thanks jim thats actually what i was thinking. I tried web searching for a 3 notch compatible heatsink but that crap is hard :/
If 2 of the notches are still connected in each corner of the heatsink I don't really see a big deal. It's not like one of the corners is broken off allowing it to pop up. Has he noticed an increase in heat as a result of it or something or is he just worried that he will burn up his processor?

Slice
11-23-2004, 03:00 AM
I got the impression that the heat sink only clipped onto the center notch. Do what Jiminator said and look for a heat sink that uses all three. And be very careful because if you load one of the outer two more than the other during installation then you could snap another one. Then you're SOL. Make sure you get the clip as far in against the socket as possible before releasing it.

It probably would hurt to list the mobo/processor he using.I guess a real pic would have been nice but he did say, "only the middle notch of the three". If he is somewhat handy he could easily make a brace to hold it down in place.

JIMINATOR
11-23-2004, 03:06 AM
as example this one has the three mounting points.
really pointless though without knowing what you have.

ZeLL
11-24-2004, 04:34 AM
funny jim, i told him to buy that exact one. Valcano 8. He has a AMD 2000+ and a asus a7v8x.

his problem should be solved once the valcano arrives. thanks guys

He Is Legend
11-29-2004, 08:46 PM
It's working!!! :D