PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Sound Problem

Rivers
12-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Okay I got this weird problem with Half Life 2 and my sound. I have a 4.1 creative speaker set with a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card and everytime I go into anything related to half life 2 (counter strike source and half life source) I hear nothing but the valve intro music, after that no sound. So I minimized the game to see if windows was muted for some reason and it wasn't. So I played around with the in game sound options and found that if I tell the game I have a 2 speaker set I can get noises but no voice or music and if I tell the game I'm using headphones I can hear out of 2 of my 4 speakers and thats it. Anyone got any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I went to the valve site and it said to upgrade to some beta Radeon drivers and I did and the problem still persists. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BobtheCkroach
12-03-2004, 05:45 AM
Okay I got this weird problem with Half Life 2 and my sound. I have a 4.1 creative speaker set with a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card and everytime I go into anything related to half life 2 (counter strike source and half life source) I hear nothing but the valve intro music, after that no sound. So I minimized the game to see if windows was muted for some reason and it wasn't. So I played around with the in game sound options and found that if I tell the game I have a 2 speaker set I can get noises but no voice or music and if I tell the game I'm using headphones I can hear out of 2 of my 4 speakers and thats it. Anyone got any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I went to the valve site and it said to upgrade to some beta Radeon drivers and I did and the problem still persists. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Have you updated all of the available patches, b/c Valve knew quickly after the release that there was a sound issue, and released a patch, so maybe if you're running offline, or set auto-updates to off, you haven't gotten that patch...?

Rivers
12-03-2004, 06:05 AM
Have you updated all of the available patches, b/c Valve knew quickly after the release that there was a sound issue, and released a patch, so maybe if you're running offline, or set auto-updates to off, you haven't gotten that patch...?

I just messed with steam right now and I never have it in offline mode so I'm more than sure I have all the updates and patches so far. Prehaps my sound card needs a newer driver?

BobtheCkroach
12-03-2004, 06:09 AM
I just messed with steam right now and I never have it in offline mode so I'm more than sure I have all the updates and patches so far. Prehaps my sound card needs a newer driver?

I wouldn't rule it out.

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

That'll get you to Creative's general drivers page, you'll have to get to your card from their.

SALvation
12-03-2004, 02:57 PM
HL2 Definitely has issues with SB Live sound cards. Mine caused the whole game to crash every 10 minutes. If possible, use a different sound card or onboard sound. If that's not possible, try changing the PCI slot that the card is in. Also check the official steam forums:

www.steampowered.com/forums