PDA

View Full Version : Undeletable file

Schism
12-04-2004, 01:46 AM
* Nevermind *

Slice
12-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Did you try to delete the temp folder then just make a new one?

Goober
12-04-2004, 02:53 AM
Have you tried to start up in DOS and go to the folder and try a delete using a wildcard string.......like
cd\temp
del netw*.*

ME BIGGD01
12-04-2004, 02:54 AM
somehow, you may be running some active x apllication that is using that file. end some of the processes in task manager or jusr boot into safe mode to see if that works. goto internet explorer properties and and slick on settings on general tab then look at your objects to see whats going on. deleting the folder temp and creating a new one sounds like it will work also so give that atry also.

JIMINATOR
12-04-2004, 05:08 AM
go to dos, do a dir /x, it will show the short file name in addition to the long one
try to delete it (short name) if you can't, then you have a problem....

BobtheCkroach
12-04-2004, 05:34 AM
I think I have your solution (assuming Windows XP).

I've actually had a couple of these happen to me, and a couldn't figure it out, so I gave it up for lost, but I found it! Hit Control-Alt-Delete to bring up the Task Manager. Switch to processes and kill the "explorer.exe" process. This will kill everything except your background and task manager. From there, click File -> New Task (Run...) and type "cmd" into that. This will bring up the DOS shell. From there, navigate to the folder you need, and do

del <filename>

It worked for me!

Booting up in DOS will probably bring the same success, but I didn't think that could be done in XP...

JIMINATOR
12-05-2004, 01:32 AM
have you run scandisk? what about norton utilities? essentially you have a drive error. winblows allowed some program to create an invalid filename, so the os doesn't know what to do with it, so it won't touch it. if scandisk & NU can't fix it, then I hope you have a spare drive laying around... :oooo:

Caged Anger
12-05-2004, 02:02 AM
because it sounds like you have a broken file link or something of that nature, have you tried using Spybot S&D's System Internals Check? It seems to find many bad, broken, obsolete files and is able to get rid of them with ease

Nitro
12-05-2004, 02:25 AM
put an extension on the end of that sucker and try to delete it then. If this fails, try using a file destroying utility and destroy it that way

JIMINATOR
12-05-2004, 03:54 AM
i think it has the defrag utility, that should run a scandisk first, but I forget.

oh my, who r teh man??

Q. Where does one find the equivalent of the Windows 9x/Me scandisk in Windows 2000?

A. Well, it's not in Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools...

From Windows: Right click My Computer, Manage, Storage, Disk Management, right-click C:, Properties, Tools, Check Now, Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors...

From the Command Prompt: If in Windows, shut-down and Start back up. Press F8 as Windows is about to boot, Choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt, if a second menu appears choose the operating system and press Return to boot to Windows 2000. Then use a variation of da ol' DOS chkdsk command...

C:\>chkdsk /?

C:\>chkdsk /f /r

...will fix the C: drive/volume, if possible, do a surface scan, and attempt to recover data. You may be prompted to restart to kill any processes before it will run. The scan can take a long time.

Nitro
12-05-2004, 05:49 AM
try selecting that file along with one other file and delete them together.
This worked for me a while back. I selected a whole bunc hof files surrounding the file that would not want to delete and it got deleted.

BobtheCkroach
12-05-2004, 06:16 AM
Nope, I'm afraid it's gone beyond that now. I've had this happen before and the only answer is to EM-Bomb the damn thing.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sm4csi/nwo/nwoterrorism/EM-Bomb.htm

But this time I'll be sure to take it away from the house and find an isolated area. The last time I did this I fried every electronic device in my house and the surrounding 4-block area. The neighbors weren't too thrilled with me. :rolleyes:

LOL...you never replied to my idea...did you try it?

Nitro
12-06-2004, 02:10 AM
Nope, I'm afraid it's gone beyond that now. I've had this happen before and the only answer is to EM-Bomb the damn thing.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sm4csi/nwo/nwoterrorism/EM-Bomb.htm

But this time I'll be sure to take it away from the house and find an isolated area. The last time I did this I fried every electronic device in my house and the surrounding 4-block area. The neighbors weren't too thrilled with me. :rolleyes:
whoa!! nice but dont use the EM-BOMB next to a Hyperdimensional Transmitting Resonator ;)

Death Engineer
12-06-2004, 09:21 PM
So were you able to get this fixed Schism? For what it's worth, it is likely that the reason you can't modify the file is because (as Bigg suggested) is because it is in use. If this is still a problem, try booting into safe mode and deleting it there.

ME BIGGD01
12-07-2004, 09:16 AM
right click on the file or folder and take ownership of it. should be in the security section.

Slice
12-09-2004, 01:55 AM
Try this little program. It is free for a week. http://www.handyarchive.com/Utilities/Security/3908-File-Shredder.html

mod
12-23-2004, 03:43 AM
this file can only removed by fileshredder by macafee

mod*

mod
12-23-2004, 03:45 AM
i had one once a few years ago and everytime i tried to delete it it would make 5000 new files damn script\\\\\

mod*