PDA

View Full Version : DO you think FPS bring out

Free Styler
12-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Well i dont know if this thread or topic as been delt with before.

But i was wondering and be honest.

How many of you play for winning and how many of you play for fun.

Or if both are your awnsers wich one has the most impact on your behaviour.

I for one often say i play for fun but then again i mostly win the games i play so
i usally dont have to deal with the loosing part in the game.

BUT....in the last few days of playing i have lost a lot of games.(exuse being broken puter)

But that is not the point.I'm cousious in the fact that anger and frustrations come in to play.

Anyways i just find it amazing how quickly one can become aggressive when playing these games.

I'd like to know your opinions or this topic.

DO you think FPS are bound to make seomeone agressive?
or do you think selfcontrol and not caring is the alternative to this problem.

I honestly would not beileive seomeone saying he never got mad playing this game but maybe im rong and should start meditating or something.

Death Engineer
12-10-2004, 06:23 PM
I'd be lying if I said I had never gotten mad. But more recently I find the whole encounter as absolutely hilarious. Win or lose, it's just a riot.

He Is Legend
12-10-2004, 06:53 PM
I used to play for fun, but when you get good, You just want to be the best

Why do you think people buy new computers..If they didn't care for the game and just had fun they wouldnt buy a new comp

I used to get mad playing Serious Sam, But now that I know every move in the game, and someone makes it on me, theres no need to get mad, cause you can just do it to them

I play Serious in every game I play..

Death Engineer
12-10-2004, 07:00 PM
I don't buy new computers because I want to be better at Serious Sam. I buy a new computer because I want to be able to play the latest games (something Croteam can't comment on).

BobtheCkroach
12-10-2004, 07:18 PM
I can honestly answer that I play for fun. Unlike you, however, I DO lose quite frequently, and can honestly answer it's about fun for me. I am mostly an offline gamer. Single player is my passion, mostly. That is somewhat dependent on the fact that I just got a broadband connection a month ago, and didn't really have many games to play. When I do LANs, i don't care when I won or lost...it's all good friends, we're all having a good time...so I dont' really care. I guess part of it is, I'm just not that good, so getting mad for "losing" is unrealistic for me...:P

Does this mean that I never get angry? Certainly not. If I walk up behind someone, who's standing still, and manage to end up getting killed by them, i'm not happy, but it's more of a "wow that was really stupid Andy" then a "damn you all I'm gonna kill you and send you to the eternal pits of Hell" kinda feeling.

So basically, if I got mad b/c i lost, I wouldn't be playing video games right now b/c I would have destroyed my computer long long ago.

TheMaster
12-10-2004, 08:30 PM
I of course play for fun. Where is the fun if all someone wants is to win and be the best? You win some and you lose some. I don't get mad if I lose, because that happens.

Thundarr
12-10-2004, 08:44 PM
I can honestly say that I simply play for fun as well... But that is because I am not that good so there's no point in me getting angry when I lose... I enjoy being a target! :)

DiTomasso
12-10-2004, 08:59 PM
I play for fun, but are eager to win.

Although in Sam you are depending on a lot of factors.

I am trying UT, got really aggressive when playing. Logging in on beginners servers (???) but got beaten like he11. These taunts got to me all the time: "he you play like a girl". After switching them off i play much at ease and the fun came back. :D

Die Hard
12-10-2004, 09:13 PM
I play to win. If I lose, it's normally fun :thumbs:

Caged Anger
12-11-2004, 01:43 AM
considering ym ping...lol...how can I even begin to play to win? lmao

Slice
12-11-2004, 02:11 AM
I used to play on dial up and played to win. Then I got dsl and continued to play to win. Then I got bored and played to try to just get under 10 deaths, then I played to get perfects. I will admit I have gotten mad at the end of some games either when I lost or had a perfect going and stepped on a non stragically placed grenade to ruin it. I once smashed a keyboard to bits, lol. It really depends on the personality of the player. I am a competitive person by nature.

I play the single player parts of the games for fun. Let's be honest here, Deathmatch is exactly as the name implies, you want to kill and not be killed. I am not saying that multi player isn't fun, but I don't play it for social reasons. This goes for all the games I play not just Sam, which I haven't played in a loooooong time.

merkwannabe
12-11-2004, 02:29 AM
I used to play on dial up and played to win. Then I got dsl and continued to play to win. Then I got bored and played to try to just get under 10 deaths, then I played to get perfects. I will admit I have gotten mad at the end of some games either when I lost or had a perfect going and stepped on a non stragically placed grenade to ruin it. I once smashed a keyboard to bits, lol. It really depends on the personality of the player. I am a competitive person by nature.

I play the single player parts of the games for fun. Let's be honest here, Deathmatch is exactly as the name implies, you want to kill and not be killed. I am not saying that multi player isn't fun, but I don't play it for social reasons. This goes for all the games I play not just Sam, which I haven't played in a loooooong time.Social reasons? You don't have to go more indepth unless you want to of course.. I think I know what you mean though..

I almost never get mad when Dan owns me, but when somebody else who I presume is much more arrogant/mean owns me, then I tend to get frustrated..

It's difficult playing players you like sometimes.. I mean, the question "should I spawn kill this person who I have spent two years on a board talking to?" always comes to mind.. At the same time, the basic "deathmatch" ideals are fun.. Play to win and have fun.. Win or lose, you should still be able to get some adrenaline pumping in a good match..

On the other hand, beating certain players can be frustrating too.. Players who don't take losing well for example.... Excuses, f9s, cursing, etc become a very popular thing for those people to do.. In fact, the servers are plagued with cursing like never before. Anyway, it sucks winning and then getting your victory stolen away from you with the excuse, "man, so much lagg.." If you have lagg, then it's your choice to play. I got owned last night in a match,(which will remain secret!), and I can honestly say my computer was lagging something awful.. I still stayed and lost and said "gg.." We can't all have the same gifts,(good computers, good internet, etc), just like in the real world.. I don't think people in war say "man, this gun sucks... I'm f9ing!" It's your/my choice to play with whatever drawbacks we may have.. Screenies mean and prove almost nothing.. They embarrass or harrass for the most part. However, I admit most of the people at GM post friendly games now days. :)

Anyway, that's why I like aliases.. You can play and win and lose at your discretion. Screenies are unimportant and you usually don't hurt anyone's feelings for spawn killing or being cheap because you are in general unknown "scum!"

Slice
12-11-2004, 02:50 AM
Social reasons? You don't have to go more indepth unless you want to of course.. I think I know what you mean though..

I almost never get mad when Dan owns me, but when somebody else who I presume is much more arrogant/mean owns me, then I tend to get frustrated..

It's difficult playing players you like sometimes.. I mean, the question "should I spawn kill this person who I have spent two years on a board talking to?" always comes to mind.. At the same time, the basic "deathmatch" ideals are fun.. Play to win and have fun.. Win or lose, you should still be able to get some adrenaline pumping in a good match..

On the other hand, beating certain players can be frustrating too.. Players who don't take losing well for example.... Excuses, f9s, cursing, etc become a very popular thing for those people to do.. In fact, the servers are plagued with cursing like never before. Anyway, it sucks winning and then getting your victory stolen away from you with the excuse, "man, so much lagg.." If you have lagg, then it's your choice to play. I got owned last night in a match,(which will remain secret!), and I can honestly say my computer was lagging something awful.. I still stayed and lost and said "gg.." We can't all have the same gifts,(good computers, good internet, etc), just like in the real world.. I don't think people in war say "man, this gun sucks... I'm f9ing!" It's your/my choice to play with whatever drawbacks we may have.. Screenies mean and prove almost nothing.. They embarrass or harrass for the most part. However, I admit most of the people at GM post friendly games now days. :)

Anyway, that's why I like aliases.. You can play and win and lose at your discretion. Screenies are unimportant and you usually don't hurt anyone's feelings for spawn killing or being cheap because you are in general unknown "scum!"
Um, remember I don't play Sam anymore. Anyways I don't get your point, the stage is set for you in any game that is deathmatch. You have to get a certain number of kills in order to win the match. Isn't the whole point of playing deathmatch to try to be on the top of that list that gets printed on the screen at the end?

merkwannabe
12-11-2004, 02:58 AM
Um, remember I don't play Sam anymore. Anyways I don't get your point, the stage is set for you in any game that is deathmatch. You have to get a certain number of kills in order to win the match. Isn't the whole point of playing deathmatch to try to be on the top of that list that gets printed on the screen at the end?LoL.. Sorry, I got carried away with making up stuff! :P My mind doesn't always work..

Ya, you are right.. And I know you haven't played in a long time! :) Hi btw.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
12-11-2004, 02:58 AM
I play to win, when I think/know I can win.
When I'm in a game where I don't stand a chance (to win) I have no choice but to play for fun.
I get angry on occasion. But I guess I get angry on occasion over other things too, ie impolite drivers, lazy employees, taxes, gas prices, the size of my..................bank account. :)

Slice
12-11-2004, 03:05 AM
I play to win, when I think/know I can win.
When I'm in a game where I don't stand a chance (to win) I have no choice but to play for fun.
I get angry on occasion. But I guess I get angry on occasion over other things too, ie impolite drivers, lazy employees, taxes, gas prices, the size of my..................bank account. :)
LOL, good post.

Nitro
12-11-2004, 07:40 AM

I play the single player parts of the games for fun. Let's be honest here, Deathmatch is exactly as the name implies, you want to kill and not be killed. I am not saying that multi player isn't fun, but I don't play it for social reasons. This goes for all the games I play not just Sam, which I haven't played in a loooooong time.

wow! I agree with EVERY DAMN WORD you wrote :)
Just to add a little to that, @ mercwannabe, the cursing, f9ing, yada yada just shows you how agressive ppl become while playing. You never see a noob going "holy **** im lagging like crazy muther****ing grenade spamming hos all you noobs suck" bla bla bla. Its when you become good that you get pissed that uif you die once cuz some noob bakc stabbed you while u were scratching your nose that ticks ppl off. Sure i've broken 2 mice and my computer desk cuz of frustration but thats just cuz i like smashing stuff when i get angry i guess.

"Screenies mean and prove almost nothing.. They embarrass or harrass for the most part."

That is a very wise post young merkus. I realized that too and stopped posting screenies in public cuz of just that.

merkwannabe
12-11-2004, 09:11 AM
"Screenies mean and prove almost nothing.. They embarrass or harrass for the most part."

That is a very wise post young merkus. I realized that too and stopped posting screenies in public cuz of just that.lol.. Thanks!

I agree that it's usually the good players that are so aggressive.. Agression is what makes a player good in my opinion. I remember when I had what I consider really good aim,(much better than what I have now I think), but could never win shotty duels against good players.. Then I frustratingly said "enough is enough" and sure enough I was able to start winning some shotty duels.. Gotta be on your toes I suppose and a little bit of anger helps.

Anyway, I still think that even the wisest and most respectable member will be an animal when they play Sam. It's the point of the game.. You become a kid again.. Even mature men who have gone to war, created families, and paid taxes their entire lives are tempted to shoot a corpse or grab a sd in Sam to annoy other players.

Btw, I am rambling in an effort to write more and improve my writing skillz.. Posting is the only "writing activity" that I can enjoyingly do as a past time while actually learning something.

ME BIGGD01
12-11-2004, 09:35 AM
who cares at this point? the game is boring and there are so many young peons that play the game that now it is just boring and annoying. too many poeple playing ruin the game for the people that actually enjoy the game. everyone bitches and complain and uses aliases. i don't know what frustrates me the most between the young kids who act like a bunch of jerks or losing. regardless of that, anyone who play just for fun is probably not good ay the game anyway which is fine but i hate to hear that to be honest. i play to win no matter what the game is. people who say winning doesnt matter, i have to disagree with because losing sucks.

now as far as sam goes, there would be so many good players if there was not a consistent flaw for people in the game. i am not sure how this game plays on a lan but i will tell you that people who play on the internet have no way of really saying how good they are. you need to pick another game to rate yourself. \

besides, if anyone sucks at this game today, maybe it could seem that way because all the people that consider themself good are hacking there ini files and other stuff to enhance them. would seem fair to the people that dont get that extra edge.

i still think croteam sucks for not fixing the flaws in it's game. i would not invest in this kind of company ever. their following is actually very small compared to most of the other games out there. i can only say screw them:thumbs:

merkwannabe
12-11-2004, 09:48 AM
who cares at this point? the game is boring and there are so many young peons that play the game that now it is just boring and annoying. too many poeple playing ruin the game for the people that actually enjoy the game. everyone bitches and complain and uses aliases. i don't know what frustrates me the most between the young kids who act like a bunch of jerks or losing. regardless of that, anyone who play just for fun is probably not good ay the game anyway which is fine but i hate to hear that to be honest. i play to win no matter what the game is. people who say winning doesnt matter, i have to disagree with because losing sucks.

now as far as sam goes, there would be so many good players if there was not a consistent flaw for people in the game. i am not sure how this game plays on a lan but i will tell you that people who play on the internet have no way of really saying how good they are. you need to pick another game to rate yourself. \

besides, if anyone sucks at this game today, maybe it could seem that way because all the people that consider themself good are hacking there ini files and other stuff to enhance them. would seem fair to the people that dont get that extra edge.

i still think croteam sucks for not fixing the flaws in it's game. i would not invest in this kind of company ever. their following is actually very small compared to most of the other games out there. i can only say screw them:thumbs:Ahh... A sam lan... That would be fun! I will have one with Phoenix one day.. I'll bring my computer over and force him to join my server! ahah

About this ini. file... I was accused of using a tampered one by someone,(whistles), I'm curious if you ever thought or noticed anything suspicious when playing me that hinted that I cheated in this manner? I installed it direct from the cd.. But.. there is always a microscopic chance that somehow I may be cheating and I'd like to know!!!

I think it might be fun in a lan against friends to cheat, but there's no way I would take credit for being a "winner" if I was knowingly cheating.. [that is... if I won...]

It's a shame to see you so bitter about Sam Bigg.. I guess moving on to another game is the best thing you can do if this is how you feel. Hopefully, my many aliases and noobness did not contribute to your resentment for the game and a portion of it's players.

ME BIGGD01
12-11-2004, 09:58 AM
seriously, i am not attacking or accusing anyone of ini hacking but it does gte done. i have modified it myself to some extent to see if it can fix lag issues (it doesnt) but it does tweak the game where as some people who play don't know how to which gives other the extra boost.

as far as being bitter, i am not. it is what it is. the game is just not fun like it was. younever know who you are playing anymore adn there are people using aliases talking smack all the time. i just find that cowardness and pathetic. this is just my opinion and if anyone finds the game fun they should play just for that reason. i personally just cant get into it anymore and it shows when i jump in the games lately. i never gamed before in my life before sam except madden (which i still play if anyone wants to catch a game with me:thumbs: ) but after getting into it and trying othe games i am suprised that so people still find sam so fun with all it's flaws. i guess this is normal after years of play but i wouldnt call it bitter.

TheMaster
12-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Losing does suck Bigg, whether you play for fun or to win you can't argue with that. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun losing. :D :thumbs:

merkwannabe
12-11-2004, 05:57 PM
seriously, i am not attacking or accusing anyone of ini hacking but it does gte done. i have modified it myself to some extent to see if it can fix lag issues (it doesnt) but it does tweak the game where as some people who play don't know how to which gives other the extra boost.

as far as being bitter, i am not. it is what it is. the game is just not fun like it was. younever know who you are playing anymore adn there are people using aliases talking smack all the time. i just find that cowardness and pathetic. this is just my opinion and if anyone finds the game fun they should play just for that reason. i personally just cant get into it anymore and it shows when i jump in the games lately. i never gamed before in my life before sam except madden (which i still play if anyone wants to catch a game with me:thumbs: ) but after getting into it and trying othe games i am suprised that so people still find sam so fun with all it's flaws. i guess this is normal after years of play but i wouldnt call it bitter.No.. No.. No..
I didn't mean it offensivley. I just meant it's sad that you dislike Sam so much now.. Bitter may have been a bad choice of words.. In any case, I agree about aliases "talking smack" as being lame too. Then again, it's just as lame as someone with tags who comes in and talks crap. I've been lucky.. All the games I've played recently, I've been able to avoid any bashing.. *knock on wood!

Free Styler
12-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Well i for one have a general comment.

I played my bro once in a LAN... ask him how it went hehe.

Suprisingly yes...I have smashed one keyboard in my life.4 button came off one being the right shif button wich i use to zoom with sniper.lol what a bummer that was.

My big problem when playing under unfair or should i say crappy circumstances is that i know what had to be done to get the kill but can't do it because of lag.

This is no exuse.

If your playing a top player you can't have a half a second delay to deal with.

It's just undoable.

Anyways that's why i usally stop playing when this happens.

The other day my puter was running smooth i did 11 sniper kills in a row in about 25 seconds.(yodeller :))every shot was a hit.

I play the next day somewhat my computer is now ruined for bizzare reasons.
And i cant hit crap.I think this aspect is what i just cant deal with.

i 'm usally thinking of hackers when this happens lol
Maybe i'm rong but maybe not anyways .

I do agree with Bigg on the ini files tho.It's easy knowing seomeone using em.

Wich is why i wont play until i fix it.But then again i just want to play because i havent played in so long.

the dilema is now open,do i or do i not play.Hum

Free Styler
12-11-2004, 07:47 PM
oh and btw i could not put the shift button back on beileive me when i say it was smashed good.

merkwannabe
12-11-2004, 07:55 PM
I do agree with Bigg on the ini files tho.It's easy knowing seomeone using em. Please explain.. ;)

I'd like to know too.. Then again, I think you have no idea what you are talking about since you think my ini file is changed! I think I know a few players who cheat/cheated before.. Obviously, Crism and some other people were using the see through wall crack way back when.

Free Styler
12-11-2004, 08:37 PM
i dont think you cheat merk.

I think that from far distances you can put the clipping or whaterver

at a different setting to have more impact.

Why i think this not that it really matters btw.

In yodeller seomeone where the 25 armor and me at the far back of migniun.

I have 100 and 25 armor.

I get hit once and i drop to 40.

The point is it's impossible.

Nobody else shot me at the same time and there were no sds involded.

It was purely a cheat theres not other explanation.

It's undoable under normal circumstances.

you would take 10 hours to try and make the shot under every angle possible and you would do a maximum of 20 or maybe 30 from where he was.

And btw i had found the invisible wall hack way back.

Use it once to see what it did.
I had found it in the shell documents of the game.It's actully a script.
But anyways took it off and never bothered to check if others existed .Screw people using em.

Nitro
12-11-2004, 08:47 PM
damn ini tweakin bitchez ruin teh game :(
Unless im using the same ini scripts as he is, it not fair :(
but then again, then there would be a point to have a more damage to them/less damage to you script now would there?
This guy weedy took off 200/200 off of Blasterworm last week with only one shot.
Whn i confronted him, the kid played stupid and wouldnt tell me that he used a script (no way in hell that u can kill sonmeone who has 200/200 and is halfway across the map)
He still sucks but i think he tweaked one of them ini filez. I dont use em but would def give them a try to see wat they are like for kicks and giggles
::giggles to himself::

merkwannabe
12-11-2004, 09:22 PM
uhmm.. You guys seem to forget that this is Sam! There are flaws.. I've had 200/200 health many times and then someone shoots me once with a shotty and I'm dead.. These shots aren't cheats, they are luck.. Uggh.. I think the best you can do is aim for the other player and fire. What damage you give depends on luck and accuracy.

Nitro
12-11-2004, 11:38 PM
i love one shot kill hax aka sam bugs :P

Free Styler
12-12-2004, 07:24 PM
uhmm.. You guys seem to forget that this is Sam! There are flaws.. I've had 200/200 health many times and then someone shoots me once with a shotty and I'm dead.. These shots aren't cheats, they are luck.. Uggh.. I think the best you can do is aim for the other player and fire. What damage you give depends on luck and accuracy.

It only depends on accuracy.That's all.