PDA

View Full Version : Surround sound and consols

Dangerous Dan
12-26-2004, 01:47 AM
ok, here's the deal... i'm looking to hook my gamecube up to my surround sound system, but i have no idea how to accomplish this...

the most useful tutorial i was able to find was this one http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/reviews/20030729/game_sound.html?page=4 but it didint actually say how to do it, and it confused me further becuase i'm not sure if i do need an s-video cord or i don't, and either way, what do i hook them up to :S

Slice
12-26-2004, 03:22 AM
S video has nothing to do with the sound. What you will need is that niftly little cord they show (unless your gamecube has RCA jacks on it which are the L and R usually colored red and white) and plug that directly in to your system. If you are talking about pluging directly in to the speakers you will have to get an rca to stereo phono adapter. The yellow connection (which is for video) should plug in to your tv. Of course I have no idea what your tv has on the back for connections.

FUS1ON
12-26-2004, 04:18 AM
That picture on Crutchfield's website shows exactly how to do it, it just doesn't explain too much.

To use S-Video, your reciever and your TV will both have to have S-Video inputs. Look on the back of them to see if you can use S-Video, a S-Video connection looks like a keyboard/mouse plug. If they do, you will need a S-Video cable to go between your reciever and your TV so you can see the game on your TV.

If you don't/can't use S-Video, you will have to use the RCA type Video connector. You can use a regular old RCA cable in a pinch even though it's not the preferred 75 olm video type. You can get a 75 olm RCA cable that is designed for video use at Radio Shack for less than $10, that is the preferred route.

the RCA video plug route will only allow about 300 lines of resolution versus S-Video's 525 lines of resolution.

The Red RCA cable is the right side audio, the White RCA cable is the left side audio, the S-Video is the video or if you have a Yellow RCA, that is the video.

If your Gamecube cable has a Red & White RCA w/S-Video connector:
1) Plug the Gamecube's Red into the right side (Red) Video 1 (Aux 1, TV 1, VCR 1, etc ...) input on your surround receiver
2) Plug the Gamecube's White into the left side (Left) Video 1 (Aux 1, TV 1, VCR 1, etc ...) input on your surround receiver
3) Plug the Gamecube's S-Video into the S-Video side Video 1 (Aux 1, TV 1, VCR 1, etc ...) input on your surround receiver
4) Plug a S-Video cable into the S-Video out (might be labled as Monitor out)on the back of the reciever and plug the other in into the back of your TV's Vidio 1 input.
5) To play, Set your reciever to what ever input your pluged the cables into and set your TV to the Video 1 input.

If your Gamecube cable has a Red & White RCA w/Yellow RCA connector:
1) Plug the Gamecube's Red into the right side (Red) Video 1 (Aux 1, TV 1, VCR 1, etc ...) input on your surround receiver
2) Plug the Gamecube's White into the left side (White) Video 1 (Aux 1, TV 1, VCR 1, etc ...) input on your surround receiver
3) Plug the Gamecube's Yellow RCA into the Yellow RCA Video 1 (Aux 1, TV 1, VCR 1, etc ...) input on your surround receiver
4) Plug a RCA cable into the Video out (might be labled as Monitor out) on the back of the reciever and plug the other in into the back of your TV's Vidio 1 input.
5) To play, Set your reciever to what ever input your pluged the cables into and set your TV to the Video 1 input.

solid snake295
12-26-2004, 04:40 AM
that pic actually explains it pretty good. just make sure the "in" your plugging it into is capable of 5.1 surround. like if you plugged it into "VCR in" i dont think it would work (or would it?)

i have such a mess of wires behind my reciever, you could seriously loose a small kid behind there :eek:

FUS1ON
12-26-2004, 04:57 AM
just make sure the "in" your plugging it into is capable of 5.1 surround. like if you plugged it into "VCR in" i dont think it would work (or would it?)

It will, the Gamecube outputs it stereo mode (L & R) with the other (Rear L & R, Center and Sub) info embedded on those two channels. The stereo reciever is what decodes and processes it into 5.1.

Dangerous Dan
12-26-2004, 07:06 AM
If your Gamecube cable has a Red & White RCA w/Yellow RCA connector:
2) Plug the Gamecube's White into the left side (White) Video 1 (Aux 1, TV 1, VCR 1, etc ...) input on your surround receiver
3) Plug the Gamecube's Yellow RCA into the Yellow RCA Video 1 (Aux 1, TV 1, VCR 1, etc ...) input on your surround receiver
4) Plug a RCA cable into the Video out (might be labled as Monitor out) on the back of the reciever and plug the other in into the back of your TV's Vidio 1 input.
thx man, worked perfectly and sounds great! hope you had a great Christmas :)

FUS1ON
12-26-2004, 05:47 PM
That's great to hear it worked. I type so slow, that took me forever to type :P

Hope you had a great one too :D

He Is Legend
12-26-2004, 08:52 PM
that pic actually explains it pretty good. just make sure the "in" your plugging it into is capable of 5.1 surround. like if you plugged it into "VCR in" i dont think it would work (or would it?)

i have such a mess of wires behind my reciever, you could seriously loose a small kid behind there :eek:

LMFAO at the picture

thats great