PDA

View Full Version : Found old comp

Mad Fox
01-02-2005, 12:20 AM
I found the old comp that i orignally had..

Problem 1 I cant get the case off...it has two locks on the side twisty kind

Problem 2 I cant get past the summary screen at boot up

Can anyone help with the problems or ideas for rebuild in general

Slice
01-02-2005, 03:07 AM
How does one lose a computer and then suddenly find it? I mean we aren't talking about a set of car keys here....

JIMINATOR
01-02-2005, 03:36 AM
eh, if its more than 3 years old, might as well toss it, because you proably will not be able to install a decent operating system, the memory and drives too small, the cpu too slow. if you want to learn something like linux, you can probably install that and run it ok, but for really doing anything with it, you would be much better off putting together a new cheap system.

anyway if you want to continue, #1) not sure what you mean by twisty locks, you may need to bend or break whatever until you can open the case

2) once it is opened you can try blowing out the inside of the case to get rid of all the dust, then pulling the memory and cards out and then back in. if it still will not boot that might indicate a drive problem, anyway whatever it is it probably is not worth fixing.

Mad Fox
01-02-2005, 03:42 AM
How does one lose a computer and then suddenly find it? I mean we aren't talking about a set of car keys here....

I thought my family had thrown or given it away! Instead it was hidden under a couple boxes of photos

Mad Fox
01-02-2005, 03:43 AM
eh, if its more than 3 years old, might as well toss it, because you proably will not be able to install a decent operating system, the memory and drives too small, the cpu too slow. if you want to learn something like linux, you can probably install that and run it ok, but for really doing anything with it, you would be much better off putting together a new cheap system.

anyway if you want to continue, #1) not sure what you mean by twisty locks, you may need to bend or break whatever until you can open the case

2) once it is opened you can try blowing out the inside of the case to get rid of all the dust, then pulling the memory and cards out and then back in. if it still will not boot that might indicate a drive problem, anyway whatever it is it probably is not worth fixing.

Its probably 8 years old

Thanks for the advise Jim Im probably just going to tinker with it!

He Is Legend
01-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Its probably 8 years old

Thanks for the advise Jim Im probably just going to tinker with it!

What a fossil

ME BIGGD01
01-02-2005, 03:11 PM
if you collect that stuff, you can always drive by my house and pickout what i throw out on a weekly basis. you need to hurry though because someone already grabs it within hours. as for linux, it probably wont even run on that unless you are running an old distro. you can always run 98 on it and use it for downloads of stuff so yur main pc does not get infected.

Fragetti
01-02-2005, 03:25 PM
What is it a Vic20 or a comandor64 or maybe a 286 or 486? :)

OUTLAWS high ping camper
01-02-2005, 03:53 PM
You should use it for your e mail account/s and to surf the web. If you're lucky, it might be running windows 95......well, maybe lucky isn't the right word.....but windows 95 should work for e mail and surfing the web. Good luck with your project.

Mad Fox
01-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Guys i ran in to a small problem the darn thing doesnt even get past the summary of system specs in the beggining I think the system files are trashed....probably no good

Mad Fox
01-02-2005, 09:00 PM
if you collect that stuff, you can always drive by my house and pickout what i throw out on a weekly basis. you need to hurry though because someone already grabs it within hours. as for linux, it probably wont even run on that unless you are running an old distro. you can always run 98 on it and use it for downloads of stuff so yur main pc does not get infected.

Hey im always up for digging through trash for computer parts...your location is new york ...albany is only an hour away from mis casa and the new york border itself is only about 25 mins from my house :jammin:

Mad Fox
01-03-2005, 12:00 AM
****Update*****

I went into the bios & etc. at startup and found that there is no operating system on board. so then i tried to use a cd to boot from to install but come to find out the comp wont boot from a cd it needs a floppy.....how can i put an operating system on?

ME BIGGD01
01-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Hey im always up for digging through trash for computer parts...your location is new york ...albany is only an hour away from mis casa and the new york border itself is only about 25 mins from my house :jammin:

i am no where near albany or atleast 6 hours away. Long Island NY over here. 20 minutes from manhattan.

Mad Fox
01-03-2005, 12:20 PM
i am no where near albany or atleast 6 hours away. Long Island NY over here. 20 minutes from manhattan.
Darn