PDA

View Full Version : memory, registered or unbuffed?

Grimmy
01-02-2005, 07:21 PM
What's the difference between the 2?

I have a HP Pavilion 725n that I want to bump up to 1 gig of ram, and all I could find on the ram that's in it was that it was PC2700.

I was thinking of going with this ram, but I wanted to ask and be sure it'd work. Hope it's not anything too expensive, it's not my rig, but I use it for gaming, and well the game is slow, takes forever to load, and is pretty glitchy. The proc light is on a lot, and I am just moving around.

ME BIGGD01
01-02-2005, 08:07 PM
grimmy, set the swap file to sytem manage.

also pc 2700 is ok if you are running 333 fsb but if you plan to buy more pick up ddr400 which will run at 333. also check to see hwta services are running and disable what you do not need running.uninstall anything that has to do with hp because those systems come with a bunch of junk that will slow your system down. if you are going to buy more memory, check out the thread i posted for the 1 gig 2x512 in the hot deals section. that memory is a steal for the price and will run great for your system.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
01-03-2005, 12:55 AM
registered ram is generally used for servers
registered ram is less likely to (for the lack of a better word) screw up

Go to crucial.com if you want to find a match for the ram you already have.

Grimmy
01-03-2005, 05:34 AM
grimmy, set the swap file to sytem manage.

also pc 2700 is ok if you are running 333 fsb but if you plan to buy more pick up ddr400 which will run at 333. also check to see hwta services are running and disable what you do not need running.uninstall anything that has to do with hp because those systems come with a bunch of junk that will slow your system down. if you are going to buy more memory, check out the thread i posted for the 1 gig 2x512 in the hot deals section. that memory is a steal for the price and will run great for your system.
Bigg, I have a link for that services stuff from what you posted to me a long time ago, which is the following:

http://www.pro-networks.org/XPMaNiA/services.shtml

I hope that is still current, becuase it's some good stuff there. I remember before I had to format my desktop rig, i spent like an hour going through that and it worked out well :thumbs:

Other question I have for ya, if where do I find the swap file, and where to adjust it? I am pretty sure that I know what it does, but I don't know really where to adjust it. Hopefully I can adjust that and everything will work fine. I hate to spend money on a dead horse, but that's all I have to work with, and that versus building another rig, that's out of the question for the time being.

Thanks for your help in advance :thumbs:

Chaotic42
01-03-2005, 05:56 AM
Registered memory has buffers: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=62

Usually only server class motherboards will require registered memory. Registers and ECC capability usually go together as well, but they can be found seperate of each other.

Grimmy
01-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Registered memory has buffers: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=62

Usually only server class motherboards will require registered memory. Registers and ECC capability usually go together as well, but they can be found seperate of each other.
But what's the difference, and which is better?? Registers or ECC? Sorta what I am getting at. What's the best memory out there and why, and in my case, what's better for me, being it's an older rig that still has a little kick left for a while, year or so (rather for what it's beind used for, other then gaming, DOAC mainly)

JIMINATOR
01-03-2005, 06:37 AM
geez, registered memory is required for athlon-64 ft & 940 pin cpus, most everything else uses unbuffered & non-ecc. ecc memory is for parity error correcting, most boards will support it, but it costs more and is not commonly used, and if you are having memory errors, then there are going to be other problems....

ME BIGGD01
01-03-2005, 06:56 AM
grim, i didnt mention the registered/ecc ram because your system does not use it. mainly server systens will use registered ram to check the data but not the xp systems or most other desktop units.

right click on my computer icon, choose properties, click on advanced tab, choose performance button, and then choose advanced tab and that is where you will adjust swap file.

also make sure if you are running diskkeeper or any other defreg program that the service is set to manual in services. if you do not do this, it may try reorganizing your files while you are gaming. i know disk kepper does this so i set it to manual and run my defrags once a month or depending on the data transfers.