PDA

View Full Version : Which manufacturor do you follow?

Caged Anger
01-06-2005, 07:11 PM
ATI
nVidea

He Is Legend
01-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Ati all the fuggin way

Pure_Evil
01-06-2005, 07:21 PM
nVidea :thumbs:

Speedsweeper
01-06-2005, 07:35 PM
I was all for NVidia but recently ATi have been kicking ass.

<<Hybrid>>
01-06-2005, 07:43 PM
i had ati once
but i started to love nvidia becouse of openGL

Mad Fox
01-06-2005, 09:55 PM
ati there deese

DiTomasso
01-06-2005, 10:43 PM
what do you think

Dan2
01-06-2005, 10:55 PM
The one with the better card at the time of purchase. Brand loyalty is good for the company, not the consumer.

Death Engineer
01-06-2005, 10:56 PM
I bought all Nvidia until this 9800Pro I purchased last.

PS. You said Nvidea. :rolleyes:

Slice
01-07-2005, 12:38 AM
ATI is crap. If you need any further information use Google. Thank you.

He Is Legend
01-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Ati Is winning :D

JIMINATOR
01-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Nvidia needed competition to get off their asses, look at how fast cards are evolving now. unfortunately they are both screwing us on the prices, and it annoys me that ati makes low end chips by disabling features on the high end chips (post production).

Caged Anger
01-07-2005, 02:47 AM
I wasn't impressed by my ATI 9000, but then i realized that it has never given me any trouble and there are regular driver updates for catalyst. Hence why I am buying a radeon 9550se for my next card....just not from ATI, lol, buying it from Gigabyte which offers a much sweeter price...

PJ'l_Master
01-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Nvidia>ATI

He Is Legend
01-07-2005, 05:46 AM
I wasn't impressed by my ATI 9000, but then i realized that it has never given me any trouble and there are regular driver updates for catalyst. Hence why I am buying a radeon 9550se for my next card....just not from ATI, lol, buying it from Gigabyte which offers a much sweeter price...

you wont see much of a difference from your current card to your new one

BlackWolf
01-07-2005, 06:10 PM
I have a 9800 Pro in the drawer cause i just changed mine with a Nvidia 6800 GT i had Nvidia before the ATI and after having the ATI for a while im sure im gonna stick with Nvidia for a long time again ;)

Caged Anger
01-07-2005, 08:53 PM
chaotic, why won't i see a difference???? I just bought it off newegg and considering that its a 550 improvement over the last one, i should expect to see some bonuses.

Hey BlackWolf, could i have the one sitting useless in your drawer

He Is Legend
01-07-2005, 09:26 PM
chaotic, why won't i see a difference???? I just bought it off newegg and considering that its a 550 improvement over the last one, i should expect to see some bonuses.

Hey BlackWolf, could i have the one sitting useless in your drawer

If you have 9000 and thinking of getting a 9550se its not gonna be a difference at all...im serious lol...save more money and go for the 9800pro or x800

ME BIGGD01
01-07-2005, 09:34 PM
to be honest with this, i feel it all depends what games you play. i do think ati had better looking quality in 2d and they also have very fats cards but their drivers always have problems with different games and it appears to piss people off hwen they are in the midlle of a game and all of a sudden they are looking at their desktop again. nvida has always been very good with their drivers but their quality in 2d is not that great. when it comes to opengl, nvida is the way to go.

now, both companies really suck when it comes to naming schemes. this is actually the faults of all manufacturers these days including intel and amd and memory comapnies. the marketing is so far fetched that it is easy to get ripped off evn by those who are very familiar with components. i wish there were some regulations on these companies that made them list full specs on each product. i think something like an ingredients list is needed today because parts with the same model name have very different performance when products are compared.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
01-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I've only purchased 2 cards: TI 4600 & FX 5900 ultra

The next card I'll buy will be BFG's 6800 ultra. I'm waiting for the price to drop a little more. :)

Caged Anger
01-08-2005, 03:24 AM
well, too late to cancel the order...already getting a 9550....well, i am sure there wil be something of an improvement.

mod
01-08-2005, 04:00 AM
well i would have to say that ati is winning the battle over Nvidia
with that compamy losing xbox 2 and having there markit share in every catagory shrink.laptops desktops oems etc

ati is the way

mod*

Slice
01-08-2005, 04:05 AM
well i would have to say that ati is winning the battle over Nvidia
with that compamy losing xbox 2 and having there markit share in every catagory shrink.laptops desktops oems etc

ati is the way

mod*
OK here is a deal for you, I will buy $1000 in shares in nvidia and you match me and buy the same in ATI. Let's talk one year from now, and see who was right.

JIMINATOR
01-08-2005, 05:18 AM
with that compamy losing xbox 2 and having there markit share in every catagory shrink

xbox was a money loser for nvidia, i don't think they were worried about it.
that being said, i wish there was more price competition between the companies. ludicrous that the top products are some $550+, and hey, now you can buy 2 and run them in sli mode.... :wacko:

Caged Anger
01-09-2005, 12:17 AM
hmmm, here is something that is puzzling me. Why are they already trying to advance on PCI express when they haven't fully tapped out AGP yet? seems pointless. I know they are just trying to get the next big thing out, but at what price to us?

<<Hybrid>>
01-09-2005, 12:31 AM
so... who is the best at the end?
i think someone should overcloack both cards, only then we will see witch one is normal

ME BIGGD01
01-09-2005, 01:27 AM
hmmm, here is something that is puzzling me. Why are they already trying to advance on PCI express when they haven't fully tapped out AGP yet? seems pointless. I know they are just trying to get the next big thing out, but at what price to us?
great question cage:thumbs: you have apoint which should actually take part of your deciding which way to go when making a purchase. does pci express offer more performance? yes it does but it doesnt with whats out now or probably for another 2 years to be realistic. look how long it takes for a developer to make a game. actually just look at how many games today are using dx9. i have both flavors agp and pci xpress and really there is no performance difference.

but..... your question should also be related to what the hell is the difference and i will say overall, pciexpress architecture is better because you are not using the pci bus and memory mapping is odne quite differently. is it worth it right now? no way!!! i have the latest and greatest all the time and still i have not ever been moved that much from the next big thing thats available. the achievement with all of this is how the entire architecture is designed and although it's on the market, it really will not offer you much.

Caged Anger
01-09-2005, 03:08 AM
cool, i finally got the Biggs seal of approval...MY LIFE IS FULFILLED! "lol"

now if only there was a way i could unload this 9550 and get my money back...

Pure_Evil
01-09-2005, 03:10 AM
the thing that bothers me, I can buy just about any brand card running a nvidea chipset and be OK, with ATI, if it's not a full ATI card, you're taking a huge risk, powered buy ATI cards may be cheap, they may also cause a ton of conflics! :down:

nvidea's winning now :D

I also rememver having a diamond stealth card that was better than my comperable ATI back in the day :P

JIMINATOR
01-09-2005, 03:18 AM
pci express will be good one day, but right now, the only thing it offers is sli (two video cards). one manufacturer has figured out how to put two chips on one card for a one card sli solution (pci express) so I would not be surprised to see that technology implemented for agp also. in general chip makers are seeing that they may be better off going with more processors rather than higher speeds (intel and amd are readying systems like this), and I suspect that video cards will be next to see this. really i think it will take 2 years for pci express to become really useful, and at that point you would be better off getting a new system, rather than buying now and hoping it will become useful...

ME BIGGD01
01-09-2005, 03:41 AM
sli is actually old technology. i am not sure if any of you are familiar with the old 3dfx cards that offered it similar how the pci express cards work. i still have some of those cards lying in my pail of parts. that company really had a great product and low and behold, guess who bought them (nvidia). the 3dfx would share the pci bus but connect two pci cards with a ribbon. i recall a recent article of this brought out (maybe amdzone) to remind people but i remember firends that did this and to this day feel that those cards were second to none.

JIMINATOR
01-09-2005, 03:57 AM
yeah, those cards were great technology, unbelievable to see the absolute top-dog king of the hill self-destruct like they did.... even so the top cards from then ran about $250 each. I suppose with inflation a set was still a lot cheaper than what you would pay now.

He Is Legend
01-09-2005, 05:26 AM
Actually, i had tons of probs with a nvidia card then with a ati card

i love ati and nothing has failed me now

ati all the way

JIMINATOR
01-11-2005, 04:19 AM
btw, i read today that nvidia will be doing the gpu for the playstation 3....

Rivers
01-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Whichever company is gonna offer me more bang for my buck cause I never buy the flagship cards I go high midrange. I've had both nVidia and ATI and both companies cards were nothing but good to me so either which way.

ME BIGGD01
01-11-2005, 07:04 AM
btw, i read today that nvidia will be doing the gpu for the playstation 3....
i heard that a few months ago. from what i heard is that this device will me one mean sucka. the thing that worries me is how much are these puppies going to cost because it seems like they will be media centers along with game consoles.

PJ'l_Master
01-11-2005, 07:46 AM
that whole media center thing is what i plan to do w/ my tv...now i just need to find an AM/FM tuner or some way to hook up my sirius to my computer...

*plots and such*

ME BIGGD01
01-11-2005, 10:42 AM
that whole media center thing is what i plan to do w/ my tv...now i just need to find an AM/FM tuner or some way to hook up my sirius to my computer...

*plots and such*sirius would give you music with no commercials right? wouldnt that be the same as playing your music collection?:confused: unless you want howard stern:thumbs: or opie and anthony:eek: :D

this was a good stock to buy and hell, it still is imo. i think the best time to buy it was when they started offering it for a few months free with every new car from gm.

oh before i forget--lookie here http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20614

picard
01-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Nvidia for me....ATI... well i stopped selling them in the end cos of hardware/software confilction. I had a customer who came into my store one day and asked if i had a nvidia geForce 4. I sold him one, and while serving him we were chatting about the game he wanted to play and the fact he had spent a small fortune on an ATI radeon card that just would not run the game dispite a replacement card. He then produced a printout from the games site showing know conflicts with NVIDIA and ATI. The ATI was crammed with problems from cards from all prices, whereas the Nvidia had just one issues, but this was a an older card.

Shoe on the other foot though, Nvidia cards do like to kill their fans, even the exspensive ones.

Free Styler
01-11-2005, 05:06 PM
hey bigg i have a hard time understanding why you say a double sli pci express does not beat a x800 or whaterver.

I read a article where there said they bench marked doom 3 with a top notch agp ati or nvidia card.

And did the same with double pci express.

They said there was a 65 percent increase in performance and frames per second were destroying the top nothc ati or nvidia top notch agp stuff.

My bro has a nvidia and he replaced( ti4200 or something 128MB btw)
Anyways he replaced it 3 times.There were weird bugs and his computer was always crashing.The drivers were not the problem cause there the same on his fuctionnal card now.So to be honest i think harware related stuff for nvidia is the problem.And driver related stuff is ati s problem.

And my prediction is that next generation consoles will take over pc games.
It s like when arcades took a major blow when consoles became as good.

Well...Now that consoles can go online and are more powerfull and all,i think people will buy them instead of pcs...for gaming that is.

When you think about it its logical to do.Everybody has the same hardware
and the price of the console is half of that of a good video card.

They will probably integrate mouse and key board for all the next generation consoles so that will be that.not everybody feels like investing 3000 bucks every 2 years or so to be able to play new realaeses.250 bucks is more in the price range of most people.

Caged Anger
01-12-2005, 03:08 AM
think i can grab this one, just read an article in PC world an hour ago on this.

Tests have been done testing the new dual PCI Express system and found promising results for new games such as Halo, Doom III, ect. However, older games, such as Quake III, UT2004, and Serious Sam, while they need a good video card, draw most of their strength from the CPU. Therefore, there will be a marginal increase in quality with the dual cards, but one would only see major increases in FPS and graphics detail in the latest games that are extremely demanding of the graphics card

JIMINATOR
01-12-2005, 03:53 AM
eh, there is no really comparing a console to a pc. tv resolution is effectively 525X486 at 30 FPS. For your computer, you want to have 1600X1200@60 fps. Effectively a computer has to have 20 times the graphics processing power of a console. That is why it is easy for the 4 year old x-box to have games that look good, but when brought to your pc look and run like crap....

Slice
01-12-2005, 05:01 AM
Um anyone want to bet me $1000 that high end agp card production is going to stop on a major scale in the next 6 months?

JIMINATOR
01-12-2005, 05:33 AM
they will go where the money is.
ati announcing that their latest card will only be for pci express only means that they were unable to mass produce their latest platinum (or whatever) cards and this way they can meet the no demand. besides, sli is not supported with ati, and I don't think they can even use the term when they are able to implement it.

ME BIGGD01
01-12-2005, 07:47 AM
fs---i think misunderstood me. first in order to use sli, you will be paying just for decent cards about 700-800 bucks. thats 2 pci express cards. most people wont do this right not like myself because the cards are too expensive and there is not enough support out there. as far as benchmarks go, i have done them and the percentage advantage is about 10% tops overall and to me not worth all the extra money. what i said is nothing really takes all the advantage of the pci express cards right now. not all pci express cards are sli compatible either. you may have 4 games that will use sli but many that dont. i guess what i mean is you will not see that much difference between agp and a pci express card. if you have a sli capable board it ofcourse will be faster but not enough without problems to suggest everyone to go buy this setup. smarter choice would be 1 high end video card (like i did) and wait until prices drop and bugs are corrected.

i myself on average waste a few grand every year just to see what all the hype is about. it's my hobby so it's ok. i thik sli is fine but not the miracle some think it is. i will say one advantage to sli is having everything set to best such as anti aliasing and all the other stuff will run perfect if the game excepts it. you have to figure is a few extra fps worth the extra 1000 bucks? i have the advantage to upgrade in a few months or a year if i wanted to but right now, it's just not worth it.

and as fot just pci express and agp advantage----none when comparing 1 on 1 which means not sli (this is where i think you misynderstood me).

if you take 1 agp 8x geforce any card and compare it to 1 pcixpress 16xcard and ran benchmarks side by side, you would see no difference. none but what the specs say on paper. in reality, the scores will be just the same with a few point difference going to either side. my point with this was saying that if you are planning to upgrade now just for pci express or if you were upgrading should you have to get pci express instead of agp. the answer is no. agp will be strong for 1 1/2 more years. is pci express better? yes technically but not really realistically. and when you compare prices, it really makes a deep consideration to which way you could go. if you have a geforce 6800 agp dard now, you would be good for a couple of years. hell some people here are still using geforce 3 cards or worst.:thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
01-12-2005, 07:52 AM
they will go where the money is.
ati announcing that their latest card will only be for pci express only means that they were unable to mass produce their latest platinum (or whatever) cards and this way they can meet the no demand. besides, sli is not supported with ati, and I don't think they can even use the term when they are able to implement it.
thing about ati cards right now when it comes to pci express is that they did not follow the spec to pci expess and actually ati's cards do not meet the pci express standards. they may say pci express cards but they are not cerified pci express cards. rumor has it that some of those cards will not work in future generation motherboards because of this. this could be something to piss you off after spending 500 bucks or more for a card that will not work for you in the future. this is not a fact but possible. actually many intel boards had problems with this. intel had pci express out first and had to change the bios to get these cards to work right. problem was not the board or intel but the ati cards. this is why so much delay with pci express cards with both companies because there are still problems. if anyone buys now, make sure the card is sli capable so you know that it will be the latest generation.

Caged Anger
01-12-2005, 09:16 PM
how very intriguing that the manufacturors of the cards would be the culprits for all the compatibility issues...I always thought they wanted happy, reliable customers...