PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with this!!!

Caged Anger
01-07-2005, 02:50 AM
okay, this is an issue i had before i reformatted, temporarily disappeared after i reformatted, and now has just resurfaced again.

I put my computer into standby and the keyboard does not reactivate. It is selected to be able to wake from standby and even the bios say its right. Why the %*&%$!!!! is it doing this?

He Is Legend
01-07-2005, 03:31 AM
okay, this is an issue i had before i reformatted, temporarily disappeared after i reformatted, and now has just resurfaced again.

I put my computer into standby and the keyboard does not reactivate. It is selected to be able to wake from standby and even the bios say its right. Why the %*&%$!!!! is it doing this?

Standby=computer crash 5000

never use standby

Caged Anger
01-07-2005, 03:51 AM
why? i used to use it all the time. I need to conserve power...my folks are after me about the electric bill so i figure when i go away from comp, i put it on low power standby.

He Is Legend
01-07-2005, 03:54 AM
why? i used to use it all the time. I need to conserve power...my folks are after me about the electric bill so i figure when i go away from comp, i put it on low power standby.

why not just shut it down...

JIMINATOR
01-07-2005, 04:10 AM
10 second boot. there's no problem using s3 mode. s1 (power somewhat off but fans still blowing) somewhat sucks, and hibernation mode can be flaky as hell, but s3 mode should be ok. things to check, have you gone from kb connector to usb port? the kb is usually powered, usb often is not. also the power button should work to turn the system on, although more of a reach.... same for a mouse, mouse port = click to turn on, usb = maybe not...

Caged Anger
01-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I use a usb mouse, but the keyboard still uses the old style port.

I am unfamiliar with s3, what is it?

JIMINATOR
01-07-2005, 10:05 PM
I use a usb mouse, but the keyboard still uses the old style port.

I am unfamiliar with s3, what is it?
they can usually be set in the bios, s1 turns things off, but it sounds like the computer is still running (fans) s3 turns everything off except leaves the memory juiced for quick restarts.

ME BIGGD01
01-07-2005, 10:20 PM
the problem you ma be having has to do with the power mangement and another device in your system that may not be compatible with 1-your bios 2-a part in your system. i have seen this before many times and a fix that has worked is disable power management in the bios and enable it just in the os. it should work still without the bios taking control.

picard
01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
PC's dont use that much power, just turn the monitor off, thats the bulk of power consumption...LOL

Speedsweeper
01-11-2005, 07:51 PM
PC's dont use that much power, just turn the monitor off, thats the bulk of power consumption...LOL

I agree. I leave my PC on all the time. Switching off the monitor is enough. Last time i put my computer on standby and it booted up again, my hard drive made an awfull noise and it took days for it to go away.

I think you are best to leave it on all the time. Better for your power supply as well.

Mad Fox
01-11-2005, 08:04 PM
I agree. I leave my PC on all the time. Switching off the monitor is enough. Last time i put my computer on standby and it booted up again, my hard drive made an awfull noise and it took days for it to go away.

I think you are best to leave it on all the time. Better for your power supply as well.

I have heard they use less than a hair drier

FUS1ON
01-11-2005, 08:27 PM
I've always heard the theory of not turning them off because of the temp changes causing the solder joints and circuit paths to weaken or even break over time. It seems to make sense and all, but i'm not sure i'm buying it. I've always just turned my systems off when I get thru with them. Besides, i'm still running Win98SE (I know, I know, don't say it :P ) and it seems to need rebooting more often than XP.

Slice
01-12-2005, 12:57 AM
I run XP and leave all 5 of my pcs going all the time. If you are going to use hybernate just have it power down your monitor instead.

Slice
01-12-2005, 01:02 AM
I have heard they use less than a hair drierNot even close to what a hair dryer uses. Think about it a hair dryer uses on average 1500 watts. Most power supplies are between 350 and 500 watts. That would also mean that the power supply would have to be maxed out in which most of the time the are running at about half the needed power.

Death Engineer
01-12-2005, 01:21 AM
As an electrical engineer, I hereby decree it fine to leave your computer running all the time. AND I hereby decree it fine to shut your computer off when you're done if you want. I don't think it makes whole hill of beans to the hardware (or anything else for that matter).

Goober
01-12-2005, 02:12 AM
The only thing I can add about leaving your comp on 24/7 is the amount of dust that would get sucked into it. In other words if you do leave it on, clean it a little more often. I leave mine on during the work week, and have my diskkeeper, anti spam software and anti virus software run their scans in the wee hours of the morning while I'm sleeping.

Caged Anger
01-12-2005, 02:59 AM
ah, the wonderful minds of gamemecca are humming...always a good sign!