PDA

View Full Version : I'm asking the brains again...

Caged Anger
01-16-2005, 02:49 AM
...for some assistance in a very daring idea.

I want to know a way to either cut down my power consumption to the bear minimum or buy some kind of solar kit.

I know it sounds stupid, but I want to make it so that the computer draws no energy from the grid. Does anybody here have a clue about anything along these lines and the price of such a contraption? I'm looking for honest, first-hand knowledge as I've already googled it many times.

Hope to hear back ASAP!

JIMINATOR
01-16-2005, 02:55 AM
uh, take out all video & audio cards, get a slower cpu and a smaller psu. solar power has never proven efficient for any purpose except calculators and the big signs you see on the highway, but good luck...

Slice
01-16-2005, 04:15 AM
The solar panels that you would require to do such a thing costs thousands. It isn't just as simple as plugging in a solar panel. These are generally systems which charge huge batteries that are then converted to AC current.

Print this out for your Dad so you can make him feel foolish.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/computers.html

Caged Anger
01-16-2005, 06:12 PM
thx guys, and yes, I will make sure to rub that document in his nose!

Grimmy
01-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Or just get a generator and put gas in every day. :P

SALvation
01-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Its not like running a PC 24/7 adds hundreds of dollars to your bill. At most it may add a couple of bucks per month.

Caged Anger
01-18-2005, 02:01 AM
figured I'd give you guys an update. managed to pin my dad down and tape it to his forehead...okay, minor exageration, but I might as well have when it comes to getting him to read technical stuff. Amazingly enough, he read it and has now backed off.

Thx again!