PDA

View Full Version : New computer: imput guys

unforgiven
01-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Well i finally talked my dad into a complete upgrade of the computer...aka a new computer for the most part. I told him that my bro spawn would need a better computer to play the games coming out in the next few years. we ordered the parts yesterday and i think this rig will last atleast 4 years technology wise. heres the specs!

Intel P4 2.8 processor with prescott core, 800 mhz fsb, 1 meg cache. (I KNOW SHOULD HAVE WENT WITH AMD BLAH BLAH BLAH LOL)

Intel board with pci express (stuck with intel on this..i like thur boards for thur processors)

1 gb of pc 3200 samsung ram. cheapest but goood and still life time warranty(i would have gotten kingston or crosair myself..but its my dads buddget)

The graphics card blows my last one away which was a fx 5200. the new one is a geforce 6600 256mb pci express...i cant wait!

A new all black case no windows but extra fans. this way no one can see what i am running and be affraid! lol

We are taking the harddrive from this computer and putting it in the new one.

All and all not a bad deal for 600 dollars. I could have found it cheaper on the net but my dad insisted on going through his friend. I am just happy i am going to be able to play on the damn thing for 5 or 6 months. then i get to build my ubber 1337 computer for college WOOT.

so what u guys think?

JIMINATOR
01-29-2005, 06:42 PM
the 6600 is fine, but the cpu.... not so good (but you already know that). is the board sli capable?

He Is Legend
01-29-2005, 06:57 PM
only thing i would change is intel to a amd 2800+ or something

I despise intel

Anyway...Sounds like a kickass rig bro..hope it works out for ya

unforgiven
01-29-2005, 07:04 PM
no i didn't go with the sli supported one. i figured my bro can run anygame well with just one graphics card ya know. plus i was on a buddget..heck i went over the budget by 200 dollars and my dad let it slide. umm yeah i know the processor isn't the best but it is one of the better ones for intel pentium 4s. its the low end good ones ya know. the prescotts. i have always like p4 cause they are very reliable. amd has great performance and all but the problem is working at the place that i worked at i seen ALOT of burnt up amds that includes the new ones too. so i just went with the p4. i thought it was funny cause if u look at nvidia and ati video cards and the thing between the two and why people like each of em its the same as p4 and amd. nvidia cards run really well and reliable, ati cards run awsome with great performance but no very reliable. same with p4 and amd. p4 runs great but they are very reliable, amd runs freakin awsome with great performance but arn't very reliable. so i went the reliable route this time hehe!

He Is Legend
01-29-2005, 07:30 PM
you will see bigs in here in a sec :P

i think my amd has been very reliable same with my ati card

but everyone has there opinions..gl with your board!

merkwannabe
01-29-2005, 07:33 PM
no i didn't go with the sli supported one. i figured my bro can run anygame well with just one graphics card ya know. plus i was on a buddget..heck i went over the budget by 200 dollars and my dad let it slide. umm yeah i know the processor isn't the best but it is one of the better ones for intel pentium 4s. its the low end good ones ya know. the prescotts. i have always like p4 cause they are very reliable. amd has great performance and all but the problem is working at the place that i worked at i seen ALOT of burnt up amds that includes the new ones too. so i just went with the p4. i thought it was funny cause if u look at nvidia and ati video cards and the thing between the two and why people like each of em its the same as p4 and amd. nvidia cards run really well and reliable, ati cards run awsome with great performance but no very reliable. same with p4 and amd. p4 runs great but they are very reliable, amd runs freakin awsome with great performance but arn't very reliable. so i went the reliable route this time hehe!interesting.. That makes sense. You're a genius!!!

Mad Fox
01-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Its sounds like a solid machine

unforgiven
01-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Oh i know bigg is going to tare this thread up lol. and thank u mercwannabe :thumbs:

merkwannabe
01-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Oh i know bigg is going to tare this thread up lol. and thank u mercwannabe :thumbs:lol. np! I've just never heard/thought of that connection.

SPAWN
01-30-2005, 12:23 AM
woops

unforgiven
01-30-2005, 12:24 AM
yeah i have always thought of it like that!

OUTLAWS high ping camper
01-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Congrats on the new rig. :thumbs:
How about posting some benchmarks once you get it up and running?

unforgiven
01-30-2005, 02:45 AM
umm yeah np i will do that first thing once i get it going!

ME BIGGD01
01-31-2005, 03:59 AM
600 bucks seems a bit steep for such a system. i calculated the average prices of these components and wonder if this is reall7y a friend putting this system together for you. anyway, you could of put an athlon64 system together for same price with the ability to upgrade in the future. 600 bucks on a platform that is old kinda is wasting your money. i hope this board will support the newer prescott chips which will support amd's 64 bit instructions that will be enabled in the p4 chips sooner then you think.

anyway, you know how i feel about these parts from our msn convo:D

unforgiven
01-31-2005, 05:06 AM
yeah i know biggs...but its my dads choice. also man the board is upgradable to the new processors so no worry. heck the 2.8 should be unlockable for the 64 bit so. thanks man!

mod
02-02-2005, 08:23 AM
intel stuff is always stable
sli
hmmm
ati owns and dont need sli

mod*

ME BIGGD01
02-02-2005, 08:32 AM
intel and amd is stable as long as the person who put it together is using qualified parts and knows what they are doing.

there are no intel sli solutions
nvidia is going to release an intel motherboard called nforce 5 which will support sli but it's not out yet.