PDA

View Full Version : Then and now - Part 1 - what didn't work...

JIMINATOR
02-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Ok, This is for anyone interested in building a system, kind of a look and learn. Some things may apply to you, other things may not. Lets take a trip back to the past for a context and the valuable (expensive?) lessons.

A couple of years ago I put together my prior system. It was a pentium 2400C cpu, asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, geforce 5900 128K video card, corsair oc memory, a new WD drive.

The experiences were detailed in posts from long ago. This particular brand of CPU was multiplier locked but could be overclocked by increasing the FSB - from 200 MHz to a potential 250 MHz - or more - increasing the effective speed from 2400 MHz to 3000 MHz. I found that I was able to do more than 3000 MHz - but that was using slower memory with a 266 memory bus. Needless to say, that was disappointing. The corsair memory was not reliable overclocked past 210 mhz. I picked up some Kingston HyperX memory for testing. That ran @ 240 MHz reliably, but could not meet the 250 MHz that you would expect for PC4000 memory. Ok - 240 MHz is still good, I could deal with that. But a secondary problem occured. The motherboards at that time did not have an effective PCI/AGP lock. So running the system @ 240 MHz would run the PCI bus at some 39 MHz. My maxtor drive had no problem with it. However having the Western digital connected would cause some freezes for minutes at a time. I frown on western digital for that reason. So the Hyperx went back and I settled for a modest 210 Mhz bus speed / 2510 MHz system.

Memory Recommendations: Don't buy any type of OC memory if you plan to overclock. Instead get the highest speed memory you can, ie: skip the PC3200 OC and go for PC4000.

Testing for all of this? I use prime95. It essentially is a program that will max out the cpu and memory while it is running. It will detect and report memory or calculation errors. If the program is not able to run for at least a day straight, then the system is not going to be stable for the long term.

Ok. Then the graphic card. That has worked well, but overall I am pretty disappointed. The card was top of the line except for the 128 mb and it not being an ultra. Ok, not top of the line, but it was certainly expensive. Test results were disappointing. Compared to today they are ludicrous. That is why my standard recommendation for video cards is that if your card can handle what you are currently playing, don't upgrade until it cannot. Otherwise you are just wasting money. Future cards will be cheaper and more powerful, and there is no sense to upgrade just for the purpose of scoring a higher number on a fake benchmark.....

In the next installment we will cover the current system....

Part 2 : Power supply & case. For my last case, I picked one with a glass window and lots of fans. There were two on the front, two on the side, two on the back, the power supply had two, the cpu had 1, the motherboard chipset had one, and the video card had two. That was some pretty serious cooling, but very noisy. I think that many fans is really counterproductive and not more efficient at cooling and moving air. For serious cooling/overclocking it would be better to get some type of water cooling system instead of multitudes of fans. The main thing with cooling is that a case has to be able to breath. That means that it should not be in any type of desk enclosure. Additionally it should be off the ground, or on your desktop. A little bit nosier, but easier to work with. Dust will settle towards the ground and dust is bad news for computers. It is a good idea to periodically open the system and use compressed air to blow out all of the dust in the system, especially on all the fans.

The fans should be arranged so that air comes in through the bottom front and goes out the back through the top back. Test with paper to see if it gets pulled or pushed away.

Cases are largely personal preference. For my current case, I went with a screwless design. It allows for the panels to be removed with thumbscrews, the pci cards to be anchored with push tabs, the drives and cd roms to be locked in place with sliding rails. Overall it works pretty well. The drives are easy to remove and install. The motherboard still has to be screwed down. Anyway little touches like this are nice. My dream case is one that a friend of mine had purchased once. It was a screwless design and featured a spring loaded retaining mechanism for holding the motherboard pan in place. It could easily be separated from the case without screws and that made installing the motherboard a snap.

Power supplies should be a major part of any purchase, and really should be purchased separately from the case, unless it is a known case manufacturer, like Antec, and they have a combo with one of their featured power supplies. Todays cpu and board combinations need more power than ever, especially with the amd-64s and things like the dual sli systems. If a system is flakey, the power supply can often be the cause. You should plan on spending a minimum of $80 to $120 for a good power supply. The cheaper units are pretty much garbage, despite the fact that they may have high ratings. The newer units of today will often include dual 12V power rails. That essentially means that the cpu gets a 12V supply, and the video card/components gets its own 12V supply. This is important for SLI. Also nice to look for is ATX 12V 2.0 specification. You can tell when you see power supplies that support this, as they will have a new type of main connector to the motherboard, and also an adapter that connects to it to connect to existing boards. For this current build, I have been experiencing some instability when alt-tabbing in and out of some direct 3d games. To fix it, I picked up a Ultra X-connect 500 powersupply. They have been nuked in the reviews because despite the major advertising they do, they are not able to maintain the rated level of power. Still, it was $90 with a $20 rebate, compared to the christmas price of $130, and it $70 it compares favorably with other similarly priced units. The whole X-connect scheme is nice, but overall the unit did not help - so it is going back, although if I was more of a modder, I might have kept it. I have been looking to get something like the Antec Neopower 480 PSU ($130). It is decent, along with the Antec True Power series. The Neopower includes modular connectors - no big deal for me - but also is very efficient ("active switching") and includes a connector that can dynamically control the speed of case fans depending on temperature. (This I would love to see).

A note for rebates. I don't suggest purchasing something based on a rebate, unless you were wanting the same thing anyway and the price without rebate is attractive. Manufacturers like rebates because people forget to send them in, send them in late, or incorrectly, or lose the damn receipts (doh!!). A rebate will also block returns of items. On the other hand, you can get some killer deals. Look in the sunday papers for circulars of you want to shop this way, some killer deals are often available.

Drive Partitions: For your drives, I recommend having only one partition on a drive. In theory you can put the operating system on a small partition and your data files on a secondary partition. The reality is that windows will by default install the swap file and all new programs on the small partition, to where it may eventually run low on space. If you make the small partition larger, then you have a whole bunch of dead space between the partitions that has to be skipped when reading from the first partition and then to the second partition. Things become even more troublesome when you install a second drive and a second operating system in order to be able to boot off of either. Now the first partition on your main drive will still be "C:", your second drive will be "D:", your second partition on the main drive will be "E:". This will probably confuse programs that you have installed to work in both systems.

Temprorary files: One thing that I like to do is to point all temprorary files to "c:\temp". That way you can just empty the directory and they are not scattered in multiple directories all over the place. Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Environmental Variables Button. In System variables, point TEMP & TMP to both be "C:\temp", and save. Secondly for each user profile, open internet explorer properties -> Temp Internet files -> settings -> set it to use no more than 100 MB -> click Move Folder -> find "C:\temp" -> Ok. This is a per-user setting, and has to be repeated for everyone. If a bunch of people are using your computer, and you have no drive space left, this may be why.

Recycle Bin: Either empty it frequently or change the size to be about 1%. Note that this will still be some 1-3 GB on large drives.

C:\hiberfil.sys : this is going to be a large stupid empty file that is equal to the size of the amount of memory you have in your system. It is used to save the windows state on the drive and "wake up" to the exact same state when you restart your computer. Except that I have noticed it doesn't all work very well and systems will tend to be unstable when restarted this way. Most computers can do this in the hardware, so I recommend you disable this "feature". Go to control panel, power options, hybernate tab, uncheck & save. While you are there, on power schemes, set "Turn off Monitor" to about 10 minutes. Most computers will support hardware stand by modes, where start -> turn off computer gives a stand by option. There are two standby modes. On "S1" the monitor will go dark but the fans and everything else will still appear to be running. On "S3" the fans will shut off also and the computer will appear to be off - except maybe for a blinking power led. You can configure which mode your system uses in the BIOS.

merkwannabe
02-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Nice! Well done..

ME BIGGD01
02-02-2005, 10:43 PM
i am not really into over clocking but i have in the past. i have even tried it on my current sli system and to be honest, it really isnt worth it because it can cause an instability problem at the worst moment. besides, i am one to usually buy the latest technology but usually never buy the highest end part. what i mean is i have the 3500 athlon 64 becuase the price was pretty decent compared to the price/performance ratio in the higher end models. i would love to get an fx chip but it's just not in the budget right now. i bought the asus a8n-sli board at a very high price because i wanted the newer technology such as sata2, raid 5 on the board and to see what this pci express hype was all about. after building this system and benching it to the the asus a8v board, i realized that the a8v was a better performer on many areas. do i regret buying the sli board so early? yes and no with yes because i am not happy with the price i paid but my impatience is extremely something i need to work on and also it does not outperform the a8v board that was only 130 bucks. the pci express is nothing but hype and the cards cost more then agp for no extra performance. really i think this board is great but not worth what i paid for it but thats the price you pay when something is hard to get. nvidia is also taking it's sweet ass time to release updated drivers for the chipset which is different compared to the nforce2-3 unified stuff. i will eventually start pushing this system and then buy the second oci express card to enable sli. sli really wont help that much right now nless you run high resolutions and have all the anti aliasing and goodies enabled. not all games support it but they will in the future. the multi monitor support is a good thing also if thats what you need. i will say this when it comes to all athlon 64 systems regardless of what chipset you use, they all are very close to eachother. i still find my athlon 64 3200 socket 754 to be great and just as powerful as my newer system. that 1meg l2 cache really helped things.

as for intel, they really dropped the ball in my eyes. i always disliked their ways so avoided them when it came to my systems. i am not saying their chips are bad but there are some that are bad depending which p4 chip you have. i also never like how many socket designs they changed through the years. the northwood chips were probably and still are the best chips on the p4 line. intel is a marketing company more then a cpu company in my eyes. amd is not innocent either. i feel they are too small to really compete in big markets and for that they may shoot themself in the foot. i mean looking at the pr's ratings on their chips they are making chips with the same name and different things on the chips. i find that pathetic and tell many to be carefull when buying an athlon 64 chip because the name schemes suck on their part. it still pisses me off that they cut the l2 cache in half and it also pisses me off that i can not run 2 gigs of memory in my system because the memory contoller on the cpu will downclock the bus to 333 and not run in dual channel. as soon as they release the newer core, they better change this chip i have or i wont use amd again. what is the point of 939 and 64 bits if you can not run more the 4 banks of double sided ram in your system dual channel. (i just found out why the system couldnt handle it) i thought it was a motherboard problem but it's not. it has to do with the memory controller built on the cpu which can not run 4 sticks of double layer memory. kind of a scummy thing considering the waythey market the chip as being able to run more than 4 gigs of ram. the commercial would go like this---run 4 gigs of ram using ms's windows 64bit os but really you will be slowing your system down and cutting the memory bandwidth in half if you do. to say the least i was pissed when i found out what the problem was. amd already announced that they will be releasing a new athlon64 with a newer memory controller to support this. and i warn them to be prepared to take this current chip back.

all in all, the atlhon 64 is the platform to have this year. this may change but not for awhile. is the p4 dead? i dont think so because the amd64 doesnt beat it in every thing like encoding on many of the big name applications. if your application is written for the p4, i suggest use a p4 if it's your work.

look forward to seeing your new setup jim. did you get my pm?

Caged Anger
02-03-2005, 04:08 AM
thx for the info!!! getting myself prepped for building up my own system and these installments will come in quite handy.

Die Hard
02-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Agreed. Great work Guru's :thumbs:

DiTomasso
02-03-2005, 06:40 PM
i think that the latest asus bios will unlock the multiplier, so you can increase processor speed and leave the fsb at a speed thats ok for your memory.

higher memory speed pc4000 will have a 2.5 or 3 cas latency, so maybe its more interesting to have a memory on 3200 or 3500 with a 2 cas latency. The lower cas advantage will out run the gained advantage with a higher memory speed :eek:

JIMINATOR
02-03-2005, 07:27 PM
the bios will allow changing the multiplier if the cpu allows it. that is not the case for any of the recent cpus except the FX (although the amd-64s will allow lower settings as part of their energy management scheme). On the athlon xps people were bypassing the cpu lock by shorting pins underneath the cpu or drawing on the top with graphite or conductive ink, etc.
For the memory, a big jump may cause an adjustment in cas latency (configurable in bios), but you have to remember that for each point you bump up the fsb, you will be bumping up the overall system speed by 10mhz.
The latest version of cpu-z will show the spd settings in the memory.

ME BIGGD01
02-04-2005, 12:59 AM
that depends on the core of the xp chip where the multiplier was locked. also the newer cores some xp chips are unlocked like the 1700-2500. if they are locked, amd made it closer to impossible or i should say easier for people to screw there chip up if they wanted to use conductive ink to seal bridge. and most boards for about the past 2 years have a pci lock option in the bios. the athlon 64 boards didnt have the pci lock at first but implemented them in the later boards. there are some problems with via chipsets though but none the less they latest revisions have the pci/agp lock option. it's common sense for anyone who wants to overclock and get good results to have fast memory. also cas latency will need to be raised in order to oc which is why most see pc4000 at a latency of 3.

if anyone intends do any overclocking, i suggest looking into the core of the cpu and research it. there are too many cores for each chip to give a realistic "how high" you can overclock. raising fsb and lowering clock usually gives the best clock especially with the k8 chips.

JIMINATOR
02-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Part 2 (to be added to the main article also): Power supply & case. For my last case, I picked one with a glass window and lots of fans. There were two on the front, two on the side, two on the back, the power supply had two, the cpu had 1, the motherboard chipset had one, and the video card had two. That was some pretty serious cooling, but very noisy. I think that many fans is really counterproductive and not more efficient at cooling and moving air. For serious cooling/overclocking it would be better to get some type of water cooling system instead of multitudes of fans. The main thing with cooling is that a case has to be able to breath. That means that it should not be in any type of desk enclosure. Additionally it should be off the ground, or on your desktop. A little bit nosier, but easier to work with. Dust will settle towards the ground and dust is bad news for computers. It is a good idea to periodically open the system and use compressed air to blow out all of the dust in the system, especially on all the fans.

The fans should be arranged so that air comes in through the bottom front and goes out the back through the top back. Test with paper to see if it gets pulled or pushed away.

Cases are largely personal preference. For my current case, I went with a screwless design. It allows for the panels to be removed with thumbscrews, the pci cards to be anchored with push tabs, the drives and cd roms to be locked in place with sliding rails. Overall it works pretty well. The drives are easy to remove and install. The motherboard still has to be screwed down. Anyway little touches like this are nice. My dream case is one that a friend of mine had purchased once. It was a screwless design and featured a spring loaded retaining mechanism for holding the motherboard pan in place. It could easily be separated from the case without screws and that made installing the motherboard a snap.

Power supplies should be a major part of any purchase, and really should be purchased separately from the case, unless it is a known case manufacturer, like Antec, and they have a combo with one of their featured power supplies. Todays cpu and board combinations need more power than ever, especially with the amd-64s and things like the dual sli systems. If a system is flakey, the power supply can often be the cause. You should plan on spending a minimum of $80 to $120 for a good power supply. The cheaper units are pretty much garbage, despite the fact that they may have high ratings. The newer units of today will often include dual 12V power rails. That essentially means that the cpu gets a 12V supply, and the video card/components gets its own 12V supply. This is important for SLI. Also nice to look for is ATX 12V 2.0 specification. You can tell when you see power supplies that support this, as they will have a new type of main connector to the motherboard, and also an adapter that connects to it to connect to existing boards. For this current build, I have been experiencing some instability when alt-tabbing in and out of some direct 3d games. To fix it, I picked up a Ultra X-connect 500 powersupply. They have been nuked in the reviews because despite the major advertising they do, they are not able to maintain the rated level of power. Still, it was $90 with a $20 rebate, compared to the christmas price of $130, and it $70 it compares favorably with other similarly priced units. The whole X-connect scheme is nice, but overall the unit did not help - so it is going back, although if I was more of a modder, I might have kept it. I have been looking to get something like the Antec Neopower 480 PSU ($130). It is decent, along with the Antec True Power series. The Neopower includes modular connectors - no big deal for me - but also is very efficient ("active switching") and includes a connector that can dynamically control the speed of case fans depending on temperature. (This I would love to see).

A note for rebates. I don't suggest purchasing something based on a rebate, unless you were wanting the same thing anyway and the price without rebate is attractive. Manufacturers like rebates because people forget to send them in, send them in late, or incorrectly, or lose the damn receipts (doh!!). A rebate will also block returns of items. On the other hand, you can get some killer deals. Look in the sunday papers for circulars of you want to shop this way, some killer deals are often available.

JIMINATOR
02-08-2005, 05:59 AM
(to be reposted at the top also)

Drive Partitions: For your drives, I recommend having only one partition on a drive. In theory you can put the operating system on a small partition and your data files on a secondary partition. The reality is that windows will by default install the swap file and all new programs on the small partition, to where it may eventually run low on space. If you make the small partition larger, then you have a whole bunch of dead space between the partitions that has to be skipped when reading from the first partition and then to the second partition. Things become even more troublesome when you install a second drive and a second operating system in order to be able to boot off of either. Now the first partition on your main drive will still be "C:", your second drive will be "D:", your second partition on the main drive will be "E:". This will probably confuse programs that you have installed to work in both systems.

Temprorary files: One thing that I like to do is to point all temprorary files to "c:\temp". That way you can just empty the directory and they are not scattered in multiple directories all over the place. Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Environmental Variables Button. In System variables, point TEMP & TMP to both be "C:\temp", and save. Secondly for each user profile, open internet explorer properties -> Temp Internet files -> settings -> set it to use no more than 100 MB -> click Move Folder -> find "C:\temp" -> Ok. This is a per-user setting, and has to be repeated for everyone. If a bunch of people are using your computer, and you have no drive space left, this may be why.

Recycle Bin: Either empty it frequently or change the size to be about 1%. Note that this will still be some 1-3 GB on large drives.

C:\hiberfil.sys : this is going to be a large stupid empty file that is equal to the size of the amount of memory you have in your system. It is used to save the windows state on the drive and "wake up" to the exact same state when you restart your computer. Except that I have noticed it doesn't all work very well and systems will tend to be unstable when restarted this way. Most computers can do this in the hardware, so I recommend you disable this "feature". Go to control panel, power options, hybernate tab, uncheck & save. While you are there, on power schemes, set "Turn off Monitor" to about 10 minutes. Most computers will support hardware stand by modes, where start -> turn off computer gives a stand by option. There are two standby modes. On "S1" the monitor will go dark but the fans and everything else will still appear to be running. On "S3" the fans will shut off also and the computer will appear to be off - except maybe for a blinking power led. You can configure which mode your system uses in the BIOS.