PDA

View Full Version : It's been awhile... (Steam©)

Morpheus
02-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Well.. haven't been on here for awhile. But this has to be the most worthy thing i've ever posted about.

Steam ©, made by Valve, is the way to play on new games that want the top quality in piracy blocking. It requires you to be online when you're playing the game, even when it's a single player game. It provides auto-updating to all the games you play under the Steam client. The good part: no game hacks, nothing, unless you find a way around Steam. The bad part: I can't play friggin HL2 without being online, and that's kinda hard with a 56k modem and 4 people fighting for it every day in the household.

Any ideas on how to run HL2 without updating this stupid client (pretty big, maybe.. 2 hour update on the clent (56k)), and playing HL2 offline? I've tried disabling the auto-updates on everything and running with my username and pass saved in "offline" mode, but it hasn't really worked. I just get a message of 'cannot connect to Steam server. please check your connection and try again.' The game doesn't work until i log online, connect to steam, update it, then update HL2, and then play, and WHILE playing, disconnect.

It's gettin annoying and i thought i'd ask if anyone's found a good way around this.

Longest hand-written post ever,
Morph~

Morpheus
02-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Not to spam or anything, I just realized the majority of that was an editorial rather than a question :D

SALvation
02-05-2005, 04:22 AM
Steam has an offline mode so you can play HL2 without being online. I think just launch Steam without being connected and you will be fine...provided its a legal copy. You still have to connect once to register the game.

SHOTGUNmaniac
02-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Well.. haven't been on here for awhile. But this has to be the most worthy thing i've ever posted about.

Steam ©, made by Valve, is the way to play on new games that want the top quality in piracy blocking. It requires you to be online when you're playing the game, even when it's a single player game. It provides auto-updating to all the games you play under the Steam client. The good part: no game hacks, nothing, unless you find a way around Steam. The bad part: I can't play friggin HL2 without being online, and that's kinda hard with a 56k modem and 4 people fighting for it every day in the household.

Any ideas on how to run HL2 without updating this stupid client (pretty big, maybe.. 2 hour update on the clent (56k)), and playing HL2 offline? I've tried disabling the auto-updates on everything and running with my username and pass saved in "offline" mode, but it hasn't really worked. I just get a message of 'cannot connect to Steam server. please check your connection and try again.' The game doesn't work until i log online, connect to steam, update it, then update HL2, and then play, and WHILE playing, disconnect.

It's gettin annoying and i thought i'd ask if anyone's found a good way around this.

Longest hand-written post ever,
Morph~

U play counterstrike??? Ever done skywalking??? As far as i am aware, that is a game hack..... i think... Correct me if im wrong...