PDA

View Full Version : Technical Help Needed

OUTLAWS Ada
02-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Can anyone help please? When playing DAoC I keep "freezing" in game. Once I got a blue screen and the error was NV4_disp.dll.

I looked this up on Google and it appears to be some "unending loop". It is happening sometimes 4 times in an hour and I have to keep switching off and re-booting. I have so-far tried the following:

- Re-install of Catacombs
- Clean install of Catacombs (altho it was happening b4 I upgraded to Cat.)
- Restore to b4 problem
- Undo restore
- Removed Norton
- Purchased and installed router
- Purchased and installed more memory
- Rolled back to previous Nvidia drivers twice
- Used Guru and removed all Nvidia drivers and downloaded most recent
- Updated Direct X
- Took out graphics card and blew off the dust.

Any other suggestions please - the card is a G-force4 TI

Hopelessly fed-up
Ada

Saretta
02-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Wich Nvidia drivers do u use and have u updates directX?

OUTLAWS Ada
02-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Driver is 6.6.9.3 and direct x was off the Catacombs cd.

Saretta
02-06-2005, 09:37 PM
NV4_disp.dll this file has to do with the videodrivers. I think I got version 51.16 installed and running. Also might be that when u removed the old drivers u forgot some files, since the normal uninstall program doesn't remove everything from those drivers. That could lead to a conflict.
There is a program for dwnload in web called Nasty File remover which will remove all video driver files completely from your disk. After that u only need to install the new drivers and won't have conflicts with older driver versions anymore.

Saretta
02-06-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm gonna look what driver version I have installed later. I got te same video card like u and don't have that problem.

OUTLAWS Ada
02-06-2005, 10:11 PM
The Guru programme did the same as the Nasty thing I believe - removed all traces of drivers - then I downloaded fresh ones and installed. I'm completely at a loss now.
Thank you for all your help Bainsidhe :)

Saretta
02-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Hmm then I have no idea too :( Gonna sleep over this.

Squirlie
02-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Do you have enough juice on your power supply for you system? May need to up it to a 450watt if it is less than 300. Video cards chew up power.

Do you have enough cooling inside your computer? Video cards are one of the first items to lock up your system if they overheat.

It is definatly something with your video card, but it could be something along those lines.

Saretta
02-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Do you have enough cooling inside your computer? Video cards are one of the first items to lock up your system if they overheat.

I always play with open case. Might really be the solution here.

Squirlie
02-07-2005, 03:08 PM
I always play with open case. Might really be the solution here.

Down side from that is ... Dust.. It gets real bad when u use open case..And Dust is a COMPUTER KILLER...

Saretta
02-07-2005, 03:31 PM
I clean my puter every 2 days ;)

Squirlie
02-07-2005, 04:07 PM
I clean my puter every 2 days ;)

Ouch.... I dont...Cause once I start using compressed air I just cant stop till the can is empty... So I clean mine once.. then run out of air.. wait till I remember to buy more.. run out again.. ect.. rinse repeat..

That compressed air is just addicting fun to play with..

Saretta
02-07-2005, 04:11 PM
LOL yeah

OUTLAWS Ada
02-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Thank you for your help guys. Re-formatted yesterday as PC wouldn't even boot up :(

Logged in to DAoC and within half an hour it had frozen in this loop again. Thrown too much money at this hobby now. Is it time to throw in the the towel?

Sauron
02-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I would try completely clean the PC and install the video drivers several times since sometimes they don't work upon first install.

If that all doesn't help i'd take pC to someone with the tools to do a full system check both with soft- and Hardware

Sauron
02-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Also dunno if ya have allready but u might wanna try and post it in the hardware/software forums here

JIMINATOR
02-10-2005, 11:26 AM
how about opening the case with the computer running to see if all of the fans are spinning? by reformatting, do you mean that you did a completely new windows install? have you tried using the new memory only? other than that you have the power supply, the video card and the motherboard. one is likely to be bad and it will probably be impossible to tell which unless you see something obvious like a fan not spinning...

OUTLAWS Ada
02-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Yes it was a complete re-install of windows. Then we called our techy in - he replaced the video card and within an hour it had done it again. So he has now taken the pc away with him :( I suppose we are gradually eliminating the possible causes. Thanks Jim for your help.

Die Hard
02-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Hope you get it all sorted Ada. :thumbs:

Oh, and please turn on your Private Messages here at GM.

OUTLAWS Ada
02-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Bah! Next you'll want me to upload Betty!

OUTLAWS Spike
02-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Bah! Next you'll want me to upload Betty!
and get my bro Ozric back on here :D