PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo DID WHAT!!!

PJ'l_Master
02-08-2005, 08:46 PM
http://news.com.com/Yahoo+sues+Xfire+for+patent+infringement/2100-1047_3-5564179.html

Mad Fox
02-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Good for them

JIMINATOR
02-08-2005, 10:31 PM
really? why? did yahoo invent chat? no. did they invent game browsing? no. but hey, combine the two and you get a resees cup! to my way of thinking, a patent should be something to protect something like an invention, something that took a lot of money and effort to develop. Today's patents are a joke. Companies will patent anything and everything, especially if they get wind of things that other companies are working on. Like amazon.com sued everybody for their "one click" shopping technology. like give me a break. most of these will not hold up in court, but does xfire have the money to fight? I doubt it. so in the end it is probably about leverage. The yahoo product sucks, so either they kill xfire or buy out the company cheaply. you = teh loozer.

He Is Legend
02-08-2005, 10:57 PM
wtf.........

PJ'l_Master
02-09-2005, 12:03 AM
you = teh loozer.

thats what i was thinking about earlier...but then i realized i had a self esteem issue...

JIMINATOR
02-09-2005, 01:21 AM
nah, i don't mean it that way. just that the big corporations stifle competition and the consumer pays for it in the end.

merkwannabe
02-09-2005, 01:27 AM
Man, that is so lame of yahoo. :(

Caged Anger
02-09-2005, 01:33 AM
hmmm, funny how things in history class come to light in modern times...seems like not too long ago there was lots of competition and small companies. The big trusts and monopolies were broken up. Yet the inevitable will happen and once again the corporate machine is sucking up the little guys again...

Mr Clean
02-09-2005, 02:08 PM
The "corporate machine" is largely responsible for a great many things in our lives, including various medical and technology advances that have made living a lot easier than in your grandparents day. People are quick to blame them for the bad and only grudgingly give them credit for the good...

This case with Yahoo is very typical. Basically a software gets developed by one person or a small group of people, who then leave the company and design something else at the next company. Because it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks as the saying goes, that person or people's next design will no doubt have similiar structure to the first one....hence possible copyright violation.

Rulings on this issue have gone both ways....so depending on how clear the violation is (if there is one) it could end up either way.

Thundarr
02-11-2005, 09:26 PM
The "corporate machine" is largely responsible for a great many things in our lives, including various medical and technology advances that have made living a lot easier than in your grandparents day. People are quick to blame them for the bad and only grudgingly give them credit for the good...

This case with Yahoo is very typical. Basically a software gets developed by one person or a small group of people, who then leave the company and design something else at the next company. Because it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks as the saying goes, that person or people's next design will no doubt have similiar structure to the first one....hence possible copyright violation.

Rulings on this issue have gone both ways....so depending on how clear the violation is (if there is one) it could end up either way.

"With great power, comes great responsibility." I don't think that the largest companies have been all that great in that department, though... I admit there are good things that have been done, but sometimes the bad surely outshines the good... :( :down:

Mr Clean
02-14-2005, 05:45 PM
"With great power, comes great responsibility." I don't think that the largest companies have been all that great in that department, though... I admit there are good things that have been done, but sometimes the bad surely outshines the good... :( :down:

Aye, there is no doubt of that...

Fragetti
02-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Hmm.... That does suck. I dont remember paying anything to use Xfire but if Yahoo gets its way we might be. Leave them alone you Azz wipes :)