PDA

View Full Version : Disk Cleanup and Defrag problem

Dangerous Dan
02-11-2005, 07:48 PM
hey guys, i went to run a disc cleanup today before i defraged, but it doesn't seem to want to finish, it's been about an hour :confused:

on XP do you need to run disc cleanup before a defrag? should i try to wait it out? it doesn't seem to say it's not responding on task manager either :confused:

thx for the help

OUTLAWS high ping camper
02-11-2005, 10:34 PM
I have ran a defrag without doing a disc clean up (using XP).

It took a very long time for my system to run a disc clean up too, be sure to wait a half hour or so to see if it's going to run or not.

JIMINATOR
02-11-2005, 10:58 PM
1) delete temporary internet files
- rightclick ie - properties - general - delete files - set it to 1 mb

2) delete temp files in other profiles also
- login as other users and repeat above

3) delete other temp files
- look in \windows\temp*

4) disable the hybernate feature to delete the 'hyberfile'
- control panel - power options - hibernate

5) if your system is stable and has been stable, turn off the system restore temprorarily to free up the space it uses (set it to a small number afterwards)
- right click my computer - properties - system restore

6) turn off the swap file temprorarily to free that space
- right click my computer - properties - advanced - performance - settings - advanced - virtual memory - change - no paging file - set - ok

7) scandisk your drive
- my computer - rightclick on c: drive - properties - tools - error-checking - check now

8) run disk cleanup
- menu - system tools - disk cleanup

9) defrag the drive
- my computer - rightclick on c: drive - properties - tools - defragmentation - defrag now

Dangerous Dan
02-11-2005, 11:09 PM
1) delete temporary internet files
- rightclick ie - properties - general - delete files - set it to 1 mb

2) delete temp files in other profiles also
- login as other users and repeat above

3) delete other temp files
- look in \windows\temp*

4) disable the hybernate feature to delete the 'hyberfile'
- control panel - power options - hibernate

5) if your system is stable and has been stable, turn off the system restore temprorarily to free up the space it uses (set it to a small number afterwards)
- right click my computer - properties - system restore

6) turn off the swap file temprorarily to free that space
- right click my computer - properties - advanced - performance - settings - advanced - virtual memory - change - no paging file - set - ok

7) scandisk your drive
- my computer - rightclick on c: drive - properties - tools - error-checking - check now

8) run disk cleanup
- menu - system tools - disk cleanup

9) defrag the drive
- my computer - rightclick on c: drive - properties - tools - defragmentation - defrag nowi only have one user for the comp and deleted all things in the trash and emptied both firefox and IE of all temp stuff. as for windows/temp*, i have no idea what is temp and what isn't :S. hybernate is always turned off. system restore, i'll check that one, cause yeah, it's quite an space hog. that sawp thing, never done it beofre, but sure, i'll give it a shot lol.

but as for where i stand right now, if i was just simply to defrag (like HPC said), would it be able to complete it? or is it not advisable?

JIMINATOR
02-12-2005, 12:57 AM
try it... it certainly will not hurt anything.... :thumbs:

Slice
02-12-2005, 01:12 AM
i only have one user for the comp and deleted all things in the trash and emptied both firefox and IE of all temp stuff. as for windows/temp*, i have no idea what is temp and what isn't :S. hybernate is always turned off. system restore, i'll check that one, cause yeah, it's quite an space hog. that sawp thing, never done it beofre, but sure, i'll give it a shot lol.

but as for where i stand right now, if i was just simply to defrag (like HPC said), would it be able to complete it? or is it not advisable?
If you right click on your drive....go to properties/then tools/then defrag/then analize. It will tell you whether you need to defrag or not.

Caged Anger
02-12-2005, 02:55 AM
the version that comes with XP is slow and an older version of a btter problem.
Go here for the 9.0 version of Diskeeper (very good): http://www.download.com/Diskeeper/3000-2094_4-10335605.html?tag=lst-0-1

or here for the top of the line defragger, Perfect Disk 7: http://www.download.com/PerfectDisk-for-Exchange/3000-2248_4-10278613.html?tag=lst-0-1

Both are incredable programs and well worth the download. Both of them last for 30 days so give them a try, I really liked them.

Thundarr
02-12-2005, 06:05 AM
the version that comes with XP is slow and an older version of a btter problem.
Go here for the 9.0 version of Diskeeper (very good): http://www.download.com/Diskeeper/3000-2094_4-10335605.html?tag=lst-0-1

or here for the top of the line defragger, Perfect Disk 7: http://www.download.com/PerfectDisk-for-Exchange/3000-2248_4-10278613.html?tag=lst-0-1

Both are incredable programs and well worth the download. Both of them last for 30 days so give them a try, I really liked them.

Here's the free version of Diskeeper, I love it! That way you don't have to bother with the trial version... :thumbs: :thumbs: Diskeeper Lite (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207)

ME BIGGD01
02-12-2005, 01:47 PM
dd, i suggest using diskeeper myself because it is faster and more efficient. now i have seen this issue several times where it seems disk cleanup won't work. the problem you are having or others have had is that it is tring to clean something that is in use. i would suggest doing what jim has suggested but also i would suggest running msconfig and stop all the start up apps and reboot before doing the disk cleanup. disable your internet connection also upon boot so nothing is trying to connect such as virus software which you should disable also for the time being. nothing should be running in the background except system devices. now one thing with diskeeper is you should stop the service also in services.msc you do not have to disable it just stop it. this is if you have diskeeper installed. at this time you should also shut power management off if you have it enabled. i suggest putting it to always on and just have monitor shut off after 20 minutes. next, you need to shut off screensavers (they really are a waste if you ask me) so it does not interfere with the process running. now try disk cleanup and let it run. you should let it cleanup first without compressing files and after it is done doing that, run diskcleanup again and let it compress old files.

if this does not work, for anyone i will post a txt file that you will copy and paste and save as vb script.

DiTomasso
02-12-2005, 02:05 PM
sometimes it help to switch off the virusscanner. for me it did.

Grimmy
02-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I had this problem before and I let my rig run for 3 hours and it still said that it was compressing old files. I ended up using norton utilities I believe.

Dangerous Dan
02-13-2005, 12:58 AM
disable your internet connection also upon boot so nothing is trying to connect such as virus software which you should disable also for the time being. nothing should be running in the background except system devices.
i think this is the problem, i just installed a notron antivirus i had laying around to deal with a small in infection i had a week or so ago, it's the only thing that's different from all the other times i've gone through the process. ty, i'll check it out