PDA

View Full Version : Micro Matters....

Slice
02-13-2005, 12:42 AM
I just built this rig for my Dad. It kicks butt and even boots faster then my rig. Space was a huge factor in this build. Specs to follow.....

ME BIGGD01
02-13-2005, 01:31 AM
was that an asus bare bone system? what are the specs?

Slice
02-13-2005, 02:46 AM
It is an Asus Barebone called T2. It comes with a P4P8T board. I put a P4 3.0 ghz with 1 meg of L2 Cache, 2, 512 Corsair XMS pc 3200 @ 2-2-2-5 latency. 1, 160 gig western digital Sata hd. 2, NEC 16x DVD burners (top 2 drives) the logitech LX 700 package, sweet wireless mouse and keyboard. 20.1 Viewsonic VP201s lcd flatscreen monitor @ 16 ms response time. Believe it or not there is a 3.5" floppy on the top left hand side of the box. This is going in like a $4,000 desk and the opening was 13.5 height x 14" wide. I am just going to clear it as the box is 12.5" in height. I am going to have to cut some descret holes with my holesaw kit in the desk for the wiring to work. If anyone is considering dropping some cash on a monitor this Viewsonic is absolutely beautiful. I know that you guys know I bought a Sony 23" for myself, but I will tell you what this Viewsonic would definately have been my second choice. Plus it is half the price. LOL

Overall I am extremely impressed with Asus's barebone box. It comes with an awesome thermaltake heatsink and fan for the cpu and also has one extra pci and an AGP 8X slot. For my Dad the built in Intel graphics controller is fine, but don't knock it as I would put it up against any of the lower end graphics cards on the market!!!!!! This little system is actually is better than my current system except for the graphics card and screen. LOL, I told him I was going to keep it for myself. :P

Caged Anger
02-13-2005, 03:56 AM
nice job

Free Styler
02-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Is that one of your hotels on your dad's desktop?

Just curious.

Grimmy
02-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Any benchmarks??

OUTLAWS high ping camper
02-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Is that one of your hotels on your dad's desktop?

Just curious.
It is an advertising picture for Lexus. Slice's Dad bought one.

Hey Slice, that was very nice of you to put a system together for your Dad. It looks great. :thumbs:

Anyone else interested in purchasing a bare bones ASUS, can click on this url:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=344007

ME BIGGD01
02-13-2005, 03:16 PM
looks like a nice rig. i also agree that the intel graphics is good enough for those who do not game. i have actually used several intel boards for a bunch of systems that required an intel chipset. they run mpeg2 without a hitch. one good thing is you can easily put an agp card in that if you wanted to.

one thing i suggest is monitor the temps because inside an enclosed desk, it is sure to gather up some heat.

Slice
02-13-2005, 03:42 PM
looks like a nice rig. i also agree that the intel graphics is good enough for those who do not game. i have actually used several intel boards for a bunch of systems that required an intel chipset. they run mpeg2 without a hitch. one good thing is you can easily put an agp card in that if you wanted to.

one thing i suggest is monitor the temps because inside an enclosed desk, it is sure to gather up some heat.
Yeah it is going to be tight in there and depending on where my dad puts his desk I already have a plan to put some kind of vent and extra fan to feed air in to the desk. I did something similiar with my servers at work which are in cabinets using these fans from radioshack. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=273-241 The nice thing is you can get them in ac or dc. They push 65 cubic feet a minute of air.

ME BIGGD01
02-13-2005, 03:59 PM
wow, that seems pretty powefull for such small fans. what would drive me nuts is the noise of those things. maybe a larger fan with slower rpm would be just as good. i would definetly have the power mangement running to shut down devices when not in use such as hard drives. i personally never like enlosed desks because for the price of them, they really never consider cooling that part of the desk in the design (maybe a cooled enlosure desk would be a great sell:o , i shall patent it monday morning). i would hate to think your dad has to hear fans spinning while trying to do his work (reminds me of the athlon xp days when they ran really hot). i would just keep an eye on those temps and run stress tests under the worst case scenario. there are options you could consider to bring down the temps like a bigger cpu heatsink or airflow through out the enclosure. i am sure you will figure it out:thumbs: i personally would design a fan system with some sheet metal that attaches to the back of the enclosure part of the desk. drill some small holes that are not visable to the eyes but can bring air in. have the fan be able to plugin to a wall socket and i think that would be good enough to keep that system or any system cool.

hey and how about posting some benchmarks on that system:thumbs:

Slice
02-13-2005, 09:51 PM
wow, that seems pretty powefull for such small fans. what would drive me nuts is the noise of those things. maybe a larger fan with slower rpm would be just as good. i would definetly have the power mangement running to shut down devices when not in use such as hard drives. i personally never like enlosed desks because for the price of them, they really never consider cooling that part of the desk in the design (maybe a cooled enlosure desk would be a great sell:o , i shall patent it monday morning). i would hate to think your dad has to hear fans spinning while trying to do his work (reminds me of the athlon xp days when they ran really hot). i would just keep an eye on those temps and run stress tests under the worst case scenario. there are options you could consider to bring down the temps like a bigger cpu heatsink or airflow through out the enclosure. i am sure you will figure it out:thumbs: i personally would design a fan system with some sheet metal that attaches to the back of the enclosure part of the desk. drill some small holes that are not visable to the eyes but can bring air in. have the fan be able to plugin to a wall socket and i think that would be good enough to keep that system or any system cool.

hey and how about posting some benchmarks on that system:thumbs:
Actually the AC fans of that model are relatively quiet. (the DC ones are noisy as hell, don't ask me why) Plus what I wanted to do is use my whole saw and cut a 4" circle out of the bottom side of the desk or back part of the desk depending on how he is setting it up then just screw the fan on the inside of the compartment and allow it to draw air in. You can tell I have done this before. :P Then you buy 6 inch black speaker grills cut them to the size circle you need in this case 4" and insert the grill in to the hole on the outside of the desk and then trim it in a black plastic ring. I know sounds complicated but is quite simple. I shall take pics of how I set it up once it is done. I will run some benchs on it as well when I get some time.

Speedsweeper
02-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Looks like a nice system Slice.

:)

JIMINATOR
02-13-2005, 11:26 PM
very sexah! But go ahead and throw in an agp card in case you have to spend the night there or something.... :thumbs: