PDA

View Full Version : what's the deal?

ME BIGGD01
02-19-2005, 07:13 AM
i have noticed many of the members here talking about viruses and spyware. a few has mentioned how it totaly ruined their system data or what ever. what i would like to know is who here has been infected (the pc nuckle head:) ) and how do you think it happend. i am curious if you guys have infected each other or went to the same website. i know recently a few alerts were posted but this has to be the worst times i've seen so many get viruses at one time since i have been at this forum. i wonder if any of you who were infected are doing the same things because i havent gotten anything (knocks on wood).

if you were infected, do you know what you were infected with (virus code)?

please list what you had to do to remove it or what you did to fix it.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
02-19-2005, 12:23 PM
So far all I've had is a virus that was found (in an e mail) before I opened it.
That was about a year ago. I had smarted off to a guy on the AMD forums, kinda went back and forth givin' the guy a hard time....soooo, I think he tried to send me a "gift". :)

Slay
02-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Funny you should mention that:confused: just yesterday I was on a server that had custom details, like Kleer's lined in a row on the bottom map, and after I left that server I closed out and my scan popped up to do it's scan and it found one and fixed it. The map was Hole, and the server was xodus 7 or something like that:) . How was he able to change the map and why did it let me in a custom map. I havn't downloaded any.

ME BIGGD01
02-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Funny you should mention that:confused: just yesterday I was on a server that had custom details, like Kleer's lined in a row on the bottom map, and after I left that server I closed out and my scan popped up to do it's scan and it found one and fixed it. The map was Hole, and the server was xodus 7 or something like that:) . How was he able to change the map and why did it let me in a custom map. I havn't downloaded any.
slay, we arent referring to sam hacks or such. :)

hpc--amd forums? which one? i am part of a few forums and wonder which ones you go to.

i am curious if there are some viruses being pulled inside some games such as ut. i read a few months ago that there was a problem or wrning issued about that but it really seems possible considering you have to download maps or something from the game server. you really don't know what is being installed.

JIMINATOR
02-19-2005, 03:28 PM
slay, i think the clients only use the map information about stuff like boxes, textures and lights, the server uses the items and rules. reason being someone had some excellent demos of things he had done to maps, and I could watch them without the custom maps... but none of this is virus related...

FlameRush
02-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Games such as Halflife, and Postal 2, which auto dl to your computer, it could have a file in the server as a Virus, Biggd

If I wanted, I could make a hl map, and it download unwanted pics and other stuff to your computer, but Im not tha type of prick to do it

FUS1ON
02-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I only surf what I think of as "safe sites", but occasionally when booting up I see the Completed updating files, continuing to load Windows message indicating that something has been installed when I haven't installed anything. :down:
After running both Ad-aware & Spybot S&D letting them do their stuff, I get the same message upon rebooting so I assume it got rid of whatever was installed.

NightBreed
02-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I've often wondered that with UT2004. A lot of the servers download mutators or game-files when you join the game, I'm sure something could be added in...

Slay
02-19-2005, 06:40 PM
I only surf what I think of as "safe sites", but occasionally when booting up I see the Completed updating files, continuing to load Windows message indicating that something has been installed when I haven't installed anything. :down:
After running both Ad-aware & Spybot S&D letting them do their stuff, I get the same message upon rebooting so I assume it got rid of whatever was installed.
I have seen what you are talking about and there is something in your BIOS telling it to update, like USB emullation, OS controlled IRQ's and so on.
Wouldn't worry though.:)

FUS1ON
02-19-2005, 10:36 PM
No Slay, it's from spyware or some other form of crap being installed without my permission and the changes taking effect when my computer is rebooted.

Fred Bear
02-20-2005, 07:22 AM
anyone ever run EMCO malware bouncer? Try it. It works.

Pure_Evil
02-21-2005, 01:03 AM
What I had is posted here (http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68372)

Basically, I believe I got mine from searching for spyware removal programs :down:

Example: Yesterday I was searching for a removal tool for what's infected my back up PC, the Ibis toolbar. I found a removal tool and downloaded it to my clean PC :rolleyes: As soon as the download was complete, a pop-up window add for spyware removal comes up :mad: and Spy Sweeper informs me that 2 registry logs are being created ( or programs installed, not sure) I never installed the file, just downloaded it and it started messing with my PC :mad:

Spy sweeper saved my ass, and I'll probably buy it when the trial period is over. But now, they're infecting us by masking as antivirus and spyware removal tools... mother ****ers!!!

merkwannabe
02-21-2005, 01:14 AM
What I had is posted here (http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68372)

Basically, I believe I got mine from searching for spyware removal programs :down:

Example: Yesterday I was searching for a removal tool for what's infected my back up PC, the Ibis toolbar. I found a removal tool and downloaded it to my clean PC :rolleyes: As soon as the download was complete, a pop-up window add for spyware removal comes up :mad: and Spy Sweeper informs me that 2 registry logs are being created ( or programs installed, not sure) I never installed the file, just downloaded it and it started messing with my PC :mad:

Spy sweeper saved my ass, and I'll probably buy it when the trial period is over. But now, they're infecting us by masking as antivirus and spyware removal tools... mother ****ers!!!I don't trust most of those programs because, like you, I've had some bad experiences.. I usually try to use the same programs that everyone uses,(ex: Spy Sweeper, Adaware, AVG, etc etc)..

JIMINATOR
02-21-2005, 01:19 AM
hey pure and all, please don't search for spyware removal programs. if it does not come from a reputable source, then it is probably not worthwhile. The scumbags can make multiple self-referential sites to get themselves up on top of google and other search engines. doing searches for stuff like this just seems to be a recipie for disaster...

Pure_Evil
02-21-2005, 03:12 AM
I've just about given up, the amount of spyware and trojans out there now seams pathetic :down: Nortons bogs my system down for gaming, I'm sure spy sweeper doesn't help.

I seam to be a spyware magnet! :mad:

OUTLAWS Tip
02-21-2005, 03:40 AM
Have you tried the Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta? I think it works great and blocks the spyware rather than just clean up an infected system. I run spybot and adaware now and all they find are cookies.
:thumbs: :thumbs:

Microsoft was going to charge for the program but decided to make it free. Also it auto-updates itself.

First you can run one of their programs to clean up crap on your pc:

Malicious Software Removal Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx)

Anti-Spyware Beta (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx)

FlameRush
02-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Im strict what I use myself...

I only use Spybot S&D, Ad Aware, Spyware Blaster, and Mozilla Firefox(Only a Browser), stuff like Nortan, and stuff I heard causes major lag in games when they are running, but every time I stop playing computer, I scan, defragment, and let sit, get back on, run Jump to Lightspeed, or Knights of the Old Republic, works fine for me, this is the most clean computer Ive had so far...

1 computer I had when I was younger was INFESTED with spyware, and viruses, only had it for a year, but I didnt know better, I restored it in 10 minutes, and made it my mapping computer for Serious Sam till I got my new computer.
This is a thing that runs through house rules currently, is my dad gets best comp, my brother 2nd best, either me, or my mom gets worst, my mom has the slowest, and least capable system in the house(Havnt scanned it in monthes, Ill do that later), so my dad gets new faster, and better comp, as worst is either sold, or turned to scrap for other computers, so my computer to my mom, my bros computer to me, and so on till my brother and I move out of the house the risk of games, the risk of browsers I know, thats why I have the tools... I could list a little list of what I do normally, and where I go, what I know is safe, but I run spybot, and spyware blaster with mozilla so I dont find a trojan that I had about 2 months down the line...

EDIT: Where can I find that Spy Sweeper??

Thundarr
02-25-2005, 05:39 PM
I've just about given up, the amount of spyware and trojans out there now seams pathetic :down: Nortons bogs my system down for gaming, I'm sure spy sweeper doesn't help.

I seam to be a spyware magnet! :mad:

Actually Spy Sweeper found many sneaky startup processes on my system , 30 day trial but stiill worth the trouble... :thumbs:

Nitro
02-25-2005, 08:59 PM
el protowall cum peerguardian