PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear...

Die Hard
02-23-2005, 09:28 AM
...So, to cut a long story short, I did a stupid thing and the end result is I've had to do a completely clean install.

But now I have real problems.

There are some essential drivers missing or that need updating. This I can probably solve leter.

Every time i go on the internet to search for drivers i get bombarded with pop ups and a load of viruses. I've now downloaded AVG and Zone Alarm and cleared up the viruses. So hopefully I'll be able to get the drivers later.

My update icon came on and I've downloaded the critical updates but now the real problems start:

Service pack 2 gets half way through the installation and stops? I've left it for up to 8 hours and it always gets stuck in the same place? I then have to restart and uninstall it and do the whole thing again.

So i downloaded Adaware to run first. Thinking I'd clear the way for SP2 to install properly. This starts up fine but then just hangs after the first 10 seconds and just stops? This happens every time?

So, this is where i'm at. Any ideas?

Needless to say I haven't been able to install any of my favourite stuff yet and I'm now scratching my head. :bawling:

Goober
02-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Not to be critical, but installing your anti virus after going online is like putting on a condom after sex! (sorry, couldn't resist the jab!!)
I think maybe you should start over. The drivers you are missing, are they for printers, video etc.? you should still have them on cd's. As far as sp2 not installing I don't have a clue, unless it's a bug you picked up preventing it.

Pure_Evil
02-23-2005, 12:00 PM
when you check you taskmanager for running aps, anything odd there? anything that you cancel, that pops back up?

Die Hard
02-23-2005, 12:50 PM
when you check you taskmanager for running aps, anything odd there? anything that you cancel, that pops back up?

Yes, there is one that does that every time!! That's why i tried Adaware but as i said, Adaware freezes every time and will not work???

Die Hard
02-23-2005, 02:03 PM
format and start again :thumbs: i will pm you my user and password for the driver site you need :thumbs:
OK :thumbs:

Die Hard
02-23-2005, 02:08 PM
No???????

Die Hard
02-23-2005, 02:51 PM
so what drivers is xp not picking up?
Er, I can't remember apart from one and that was the VGA driver.

Pure_Evil
02-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Yes, there is one that does that every time!! That's why i tried Adaware but as i said, Adaware freezes every time and will not work???
If I ever meet the mother ****er who writes those, I'm going to pluck out his eyeballs, eat them, then **** them back into his empty eye sockets!
I still have 1 PC infected with that kind of crap. :down:

OUTLAWS high ping camper
02-23-2005, 10:45 PM
I wish you'd learn how to express your feelings pure, it's not healthy to hold them in. :D

Die Hard
02-24-2005, 08:50 AM
All fixed now. Thanks everyone for your help :thumbs:

Grimmy
02-24-2005, 11:57 AM
All fixed now. Thanks everyone for your help :thumbs:
What'd you do/find out?

Die Hard
02-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Oh, well I downloaded the drivers from a place that Huggy told me about. Then i dowloaded critical updates and SP2 and this time it all worked. Phew!! :thumbs:

FUS1ON
02-24-2005, 06:24 PM
And Johnny what did you learn in school today? Sharing ;)

http://www.driversguide.com
Login: drivers
P/W: all

This site used to use to give the same login info to everyone, but due to some a-holes not being able to behave they are changing up soon. That login info will still work for the next few weeks though, then you will have to register for yourself.

Caged Anger
02-27-2005, 02:42 AM
shogun, thats the site I've always been looking for, thx

Good to see you up and running again Die Hard!