PDA

View Full Version : Kensington PilotMouse Wireless Mouse

JIMINATOR
03-17-2005, 04:29 PM
I tried this for a few days. I am currently using a MX-700, which often feels like the motion is lagging, very slight, but it makes the gameplay overall to be unpleasant. I tried the MX-1000 laser mouse but was unimpressed. That mouse has a thumb rest that catches the thumb, and the thumb buttons are unusable in games, I find they throw the movement off. So now the Kensington....

This mouse is selling for $39 in bestbuy. The mouse is somewhat bigger than the logitechs, on a par with the Intellimouse explorers. The sides have a ribbed rubber grip pads. It will probably suit people with big hands. It has an 800 dpi sensor (fairly standard) and features QuickRF wireless technology. It can use either USB or the mouse port. The base station is a small silver disk. It does not have any type of recharging cradle. Not an issue here, as I have an NiMh charging station where I always have batteries available, others though may not like it. Not sure how long standard batteries will last, no documentation on that. You can tell when the mouse is sending data as the base station has a blinking led, but no indicator for low batteries (except the lack of blinking on the base station).

The software appears to have much more functionality than the usual, it allows macro mapping per button on an application level. However I was not able to successfully make the side buttons work with older games. So I deleted it. The wheel is standard, it does not support side scrolling. The thumb buttons are reversed from the Microsoft and Logitech standards. Not sure why they did that.

On plugging it in, it works immediately without synching to the base station. The action is actually faster and more precise than the MX-700 I have beeen using. I had to turn down the sensitivity. I am fairly impressed with it overall. Others may prefer the MX-1000 (the MX-700 has been discontinued) but this is a very workable alternative at about half the price.

Pure_Evil
03-17-2005, 05:04 PM
:D Thanks Jim!!!! :thumbs:

Die Hard
03-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the good review Jim. I think I'm going to stay with a corded optical mouse for the time being.

If you find one with metal inners let me know :thumbs:

JIMINATOR
03-19-2005, 06:22 AM
hey pure, nevermind the mouse. on a couple of days and then the movement is all screwed up, with fresh batteries too.... i am trying out the mx510 now (a.... er.... loaner, until the 518 comes out), and it is sucking ass so far. damn thing is light though, even with the cord. but i just can't get the movement right.... :(
In that regards the kensington was a pleasure...